Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.65 - 301votes)

Shishunki Bitter Change

Alt Names: alt 사춘기 비터 체인지alt Puberty Bitter Changealt 思春期ビターチェンジ
Author: Masayoshi
Artist: Masayoshi
Genres: Drama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShoujo ShoujoSlice of Life Slice of LifeTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Yuuta and Yui had their body swapped when Yuuta fell down from a tree.
How will they co-operate dealing with this as they grow up?

Serialized Manga:
http://comic-polaris.jp/shishunki/

Original webcomic:
http://banbi.omiki.com/
Go to Shishunki Bitter Change Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Are any of you like me: Who wants to be the other gender for a day and then change back the next day New Window PieceOfSchmittGames
  • 4 Replies
Topic Ideal ending to the series New Window pacificsaury
  • 2 Replies
Topic Scanlate the original webcomic? New Window Julianacat
  • 7 Replies
Topic This plot is going to crumble when the series gets axed. New Window PieceOfSchmittGames
  • 1 Replies
Topic Is the translated chapter pass the original? New Window Dhoozy77
  • 1 Replies
Topic Original source New Window robpurple
  • 4 Replies

734 Comments

So did yui(in yuuta's body) ever try to fall from the tree on yuuta(in yui's body) to switch back? I think it's implied in ch8? that she did, but i'm still not really clear...

I think they're past their tree falling stage since they got into middle school, so it's safe to imply yes for the mangaka's sake.

Yes, they've tried falling from the tree numerous times, but it's never worked.

This really brings up some interesting questions.

What is gender: Biological or state of mind? Can one choose a gender, or do you just have to accept what you are?

At what ages does gender identity come into play? How would sexual development and hormones affect gender identity?

And most importantly: Is there really such a great difference between genders? 

So did yui(in yuuta's body) ever try to fall from the tree on yuuta(in yui's body) to switch back? I think it's implied in ch8? that she did, but i'm still not really clear...

I was thinking of the too, but I think it should be a given. I think they tried it already, though I can't be sure.

Thank you for this page.

Spoiler

Best page.

Are they in poor taste? Maybe. But I think your definition of child-abuse needs some work. It's alluding to Yui and Yuuta doing the deed together. (And technically to herself?)

Jesus fucking christ those "joke" pages were awful. Child abuse jokes? Fucking seriously? In a manga like THIS, which explicitly involves themes of child neglect and ostracisation already? You really thought that would be a fun meaningless gag to just throw in there? Yeah, I am one of the people who was dumb enough to think they might've been real. Don't know if you noticed, but when other groups add in joke pages, they usually make them part of the credit page, reference the scan group, or they DON'T PUT THEM RIGHT AT THE END WHERE THEY BLEND STRAIGHT INTO THE NEXT CHAPTER WITH NO INTERRUPTION.
I'm definitely glad you stopped doing them after people asked you to, but they're still in the first few chapters, and they're still disgusting! If you actually care about your work, or not confusing your readers, or not being a gross dirtbag, can you PLEASE re-upload those chapters without your "jokes"?
And before anyone asks, my sense of humour is just fine. No, actually, BECAUSE I have a functional sense of humour, I can appreciate the difference between a good joke and a bad joke, and "Yuuta gets raped by Yui's dad and it's probably happened to her before" IS NOT EVEN A FUCKING JOKE.
Jesus. The tone of this manga is serious enough without this kind of bullshit.

Thank you for updating, this makes me very happy. <3

I love this manga so much. I'm so happy to see new chapters.

Thank you for this page.

Spoiler

The final few pages of the chapter makes me think there will be another time-skip. Will they be highschoolers next? I can't wait.

Yay!!! Finally new chapters! :D
Thank you very much.

That's just straight up domestic abuse right there!  Slapping the girl like that if other guys see that HE/She? would be so ostracized it wouldn't even be funny.  Still enjoying this manga a lot. A nice take on it.

Spoiler

To be honest, I just don't think they're even bothering to put any effort into it. Both of them are still mentally locked into the idea that they'll eventually get their bodies back and things will go back to normal soon. If they had accepted by now that they will likely never return to normal, they would probably be a lot more willing to "fix" their lives by making new friends and fitting into their new position in life.

I don't even see it as mutually exclusive. At this point, who knows when they might switch back, so stop the "arrested living" of refusing to make any sort of social connections to people. It doesn't need to be "forever" to find things to enjoy in life, and people you like/don't mind socializing with. What happens, happens -- deal with it as it comes. Yuuta doesn't need to suddenly romp around in frilly dresses and talk about the latest makeup tips, but just put yourself out there. I'm sure people won't think "her" too weird to say "sorry, I'm not that big into fashion so I don't know much" or such.

Then again, one could say "well, they're only 13years old" as for the reasons they don't make the best choices :)

is it just me... but most good manga/manhwa has sucky drawings.....

Maybe not the best mangas, but almost always the most... original ones?

It's happened before with Hayate no Gotoku!, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to,Tonari no Seki-kun, Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro and others. At first it's because they actually kind of suck at the art, but they end up embracing it as their style, like Hayate no Gotoku!'s mangaka (even though they become so skilled at drawing, it becomes too apparent it's being done on purpose).

I love how this takes a more serious turn on the genre, but at the same time, I don't think it goes into enough depth. They start out in 4th grade, and by the end of Vol2 they're entering HS. Yet we get very little meat about their relationships with others in class and the day to day stuff. I don't think we need to go as slow a pacing as something like Hourou Musuko, but maybe something that would put us at Ch35 for HS rather than 18-20 would be a bit nicer.

Surely Yuuta could find some girls with at least a few common interests in class, or bend a little bit on talking points like Yui tries to do with reading the shounen manga stuff. Even if it was just befriending some girls in a sports club like volleyball or tennis or something. I mean, at this point it's been 3-4 years ... how have they not managed to get well acclimated? I guess the answer to that is -- they don't want to, because they still expect to change back any day now.

Or maybe I'm just more mentally malleable to making the best of situations than most?

To be honest, I just don't think they're even bothering to put any effort into it. Both of them are still mentally locked into the idea that they'll eventually get their bodies back and things will go back to normal soon. If they had accepted by now that they will likely never return to normal, they would probably be a lot more willing to "fix" their lives by making new friends and fitting into their new position in life. 

I really do hope by the end of the story that they're pretty close though. It's probably too much to ask that they are in a relationship at the end (admittedly been secretly wishing for that since the beginning) but I would like them to be proper friends and not always at each others throats like now. 

I love how this takes a more serious turn on the genre, but at the same time, I don't think it goes into enough depth. They start out in 4th grade, and by the end of Vol2 they're entering HS. Yet we get very little meat about their relationships with others in class and the day to day stuff. I don't think we need to go as slow a pacing as something like Hourou Musuko, but maybe something that would put us at Ch35 for HS rather than 18-20 would be a bit nicer.

Surely Yuuta could find some girls with at least a few common interests in class, or bend a little bit on talking points like Yui tries to do with reading the shounen manga stuff. Even if it was just befriending some girls in a sports club like volleyball or tennis or something. I mean, at this point it's been 3-4 years ... how have they not managed to get well acclimated? I guess the answer to that is -- they don't want to, because they still expect to change back any day now.

Or maybe I'm just more mentally malleable to making the best of situations than most?

This...This is the best and unique take on swapping without none of the usual hijinks ore repreive. OMG...It just occured to me that dude probalby went through HER first period. She wouldn't have any idea about that...

I'm actually somewhat surprised no mention of periods either directly or indirectly have presented themselves, unless it simply hasn't happened yet. It seems to be the #1 golden rule of male to female swapping to have a scene or at least a small discussion about the recently discovered hardship. 

It really is refreshing to have a story that diverts from the usual tropes and focuses on the actual hardships instead of making it some sort of semi-normal slice of life setting. 

To be fair she is being ridiculously rude.

This series started out as a webmanga originally, before the author was signed officially with Polaris Comics. After which the chapters have been revised slightly before being printed in tankoubons, of which there are 2 right now. The author is then continuing the story via their Flex Comics online site.

It's been a growing trend amongst publishers to maintain online manga "magazines" with up-and-coming/newer authors. The art is often more rough, or at least less polished (probably don't receive assistants, for example), but that doesn't mean the characters and stories can't still be just as good or better than the things in the print volumes. Quite often, it allows them to do things you don't find in print, because there is less pressure.

Good examples of this are: WataMote and Daily Lives of HS Boys (Gangan Online), Joshikausei (Web Comic Action), and Shinozaki-san Ki Ota shika ni! (Comic Meteor, the NicoNico Seiga imprint) Oh, and most famously: One Punch Man is a webcomic that the famous illustrator Murata liked so much he offered to draw it officially for the published version -- so the author still draws the original webcomic version, while Murata has been drawing the official online version which is then published. Which allows him to draw it with full gradients rather than screentones like comics normally are, so it looks amazing.

This...This is the best and unique take on swapping without none of the usual hijinks ore repreive. OMG...It just occured to me that dude probalby went through HER first period. She wouldn't have any idea about that...

I have some specula about why the author chose 4th grade for the age to start the story: Yuuta and Yui finishing high school would be the point in time where they would have spent more time swapped than as their original bodies. Which would be an interesting philosophical/psychological situation for them.

At what point do you decide to make the life your own, rather than trying to live to someone elses ideal? 10 years? 20 years?

In all fairness they're still kids... Kids from a different culture at that.

Do you mean to say that elementary students kissing is that unacceptable in japanese culture?

Judging by their conversation (as middle schoolers) about still hating their current situation, I think they should be more motivated to try to change back.

Also, 4th~6th grade isn't that young, and otherwise, they weren't portrayed as having below average intelligence for their age. If they have changed in 1st grade, I might agree though.

What's more silly to me is that after 3 years, Yuuta still slips in speech patterns. (Ore instead of Watashi, etc)

You'd think after that long, it'd be 2nd nature by then. Meeting Yui in the park to talk regularly is almost a bad thing, because that breaks the habit somewhat IMHO.

I'm actually not bothered by this because they still want to change back, so they probably don't want to forget how their original gender acts like. (i.e. don't want to act like a girl when he turns back into a boy)

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics