Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 481votes)

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Alt Names: alt A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Logalt とあるおっさんのVRMMO活動記alt To Aru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudoukialt 某大叔的vrmmo活动记
Author: Shiina Howahowa
Artist: Rikudou Shuuya
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyCooking CookingFantasy FantasyHarem HaremSci-fi Sci-fiSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi(38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

Original Webcomic:
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/658000067/
Go to Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Lates chapter discussion New Window Freenight
  • 40 Replies
Topic Suggestions? New Window Creecha
  • 4 Replies
Topic Light Novel Of This Manga??? New Window TeamdichJustT
  • 8 Replies

1201 Comments

Eagle eye and cooking aren't considered useless.

Archery - Many problems of archery for low levels.
Spoiler

As a standalone skill, archery is not very useful as it has more disadvantages than advantages for newbies.
However, when used with other abilities, archery can be a force to be reckoned with.
Arrow covered with paralytic poison is just awesome.

Kick -
No attack skills means players won't be interested.

My reasonings as to why the MC's skills are considered unpopular.

Archery
Some mmos (including this one, apparently) makes the player buy individual arrows. Compared to swords and magic that you can use infinitely, a lot of people just can't be assed enough to stock on arrows after every dungeon.

Eagle eye
An active skill to boost accuracy. Keeping in mind how this is a VRMMO, a lot of people probably assume that they can make do with their natural born dexterity. Also, accuracy is only useful for archers. Melee characters fight close range, which makes accuracy kind of a moot point. Whereas magic skills have huge areas of effect, which also makes accuracy kind of pointless.

Kick
Like the idea with bare-fisted monks in rpgs, kicking would probably mean a physical skill that doesn't need equipment to use effectively. Also like monks in rpgs, the aggregate damage of equipment-less skills will ALWAYS be lower thsn the damage of weapon skills (if not, then the game has some serious balancing issues). In the end, the only class that would benefit from a skill like kicks would be archers, for when they run out of arrows. And as the MC mentioned, since archers are rare, so are the kicking skills.

Apothecary
This really depends on the game. Most of the time, high-class potions are obtainable only by crafting or events. Since skills can be switched around and levelled individually, a low-level character would probably have no reason to craft potions, assuming the ingredients needed to make potions that AREN'T sold by npcs are usually at mid to high level dungeons.

Stealth
The MC mentions early on that the stealth skill is only active when the player doesn't move. Which makes this skill only useful for ranged characters. But since this game seems to separate magic skills by element, a magic-centric character would benefit more by spending this skill slot on elemental coverage rather than stealth. Only an archer would benefit from this skill, and as stated above, archery is an unpopular skill.

Wind magic
I have no idea why this skill is unpopular, I would need to see a full list of damage multipliers, areas of effect and enemy resistances to be sure.

Physical boost
The MC already makes a pretty good argument if the aggregate damage of specialized skills are better than what this skill can contribute. The only time this skill would be useful is for a player who makes a skillset designed for maximum damage, compiling the boost this skill gives on top of specialized skills for massive damage. That being said, this skill might not necessarily be popular, but it definitely shouldn't be UNpopular. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that there are better damage boosting skills in the game.

Cooking
A little more useful than apothecary, since NPCs usually don't sell food and they usually give boosts to stats that potions lack. But the same reasoning as apothecary, most crafting skills are best suited for late-game, high levelled players. Usually, people who play crafting classes are either elite players who use them as a secondary character (as in, elite players that have multiple characters) or players who have friends that play combat classes.

The MC's other two skills are still unknown, so obviously I can't comment on them :P

...sorry for the long post, my spirit as a gamer just couldn't go on without commenting SOMETHING.

Carpentry and Manufacturing is his last two skill as said in chapter 1 during character creation.

My reasonings as to why the MC's skills are considered unpopular.

Archery
Some mmos (including this one, apparently) makes the player buy individual arrows. Compared to swords and magic that you can use infinitely, a lot of people just can't be assed enough to stock on arrows after every dungeon.

Eagle eye
An active skill to boost accuracy. Keeping in mind how this is a VRMMO, a lot of people probably assume that they can make do with their natural born dexterity. Also, accuracy is only useful for archers. Melee characters fight close range, which makes accuracy kind of a moot point. Whereas magic skills have huge areas of effect, which also makes accuracy kind of pointless.

Kick
Like the idea with bare-fisted monks in rpgs, kicking would probably mean a physical skill that doesn't need equipment to use effectively. Also like monks in rpgs, the aggregate damage of equipment-less skills will ALWAYS be lower thsn the damage of weapon skills (if not, then the game has some serious balancing issues). In the end, the only class that would benefit from a skill like kicks would be archers, for when they run out of arrows. And as the MC mentioned, since archers are rare, so are the kicking skills.

Apothecary
This really depends on the game. Most of the time, high-class potions are obtainable only by crafting or events. Since skills can be switched around and levelled individually, a low-level character would probably have no reason to craft potions, assuming the ingredients needed to make potions that AREN'T sold by npcs are usually at mid to high level dungeons.

Stealth
The MC mentions early on that the stealth skill is only active when the player doesn't move. Which makes this skill only useful for ranged characters. But since this game seems to separate magic skills by element, a magic-centric character would benefit more by spending this skill slot on elemental coverage rather than stealth. Only an archer would benefit from this skill, and as stated above, archery is an unpopular skill.

Wind magic
I have no idea why this skill is unpopular, I would need to see a full list of damage multipliers, areas of effect and enemy resistances to be sure.

Physical boost
The MC already makes a pretty good argument if the aggregate damage of specialized skills are better than what this skill can contribute. The only time this skill would be useful is for a player who makes a skillset designed for maximum damage, compiling the boost this skill gives on top of specialized skills for massive damage. That being said, this skill might not necessarily be popular, but it definitely shouldn't be UNpopular. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that there are better damage boosting skills in the game.

Cooking
A little more useful than apothecary, since NPCs usually don't sell food and they usually give boosts to stats that potions lack. But the same reasoning as apothecary, most crafting skills are best suited for late-game, high levelled players. Usually, people who play crafting classes are either elite players who use them as a secondary character (as in, elite players that have multiple characters) or players who have friends that play combat classes.

The MC's other two skills are still unknown, so obviously I can't comment on them :P

...sorry for the long post, my spirit as a gamer just couldn't go on without commenting SOMETHING.

those motherfuckers, archery is always my first choice in rpg/mmorpg cause i like to blitz the fuck out of my targets.

dont  ever mock archery boy.

If you like this genre, try reading "Legendary Moonlight Sculptor"(its a novel tho), I've read many MMO genre but nothing come close to LMS XD

Thanks for the tip ,bro. I was skeptical the first volume but after reading through to volume 19 this last week I can say it is good.

SeoYoon is best girl!

And I feel for Tori's fate T-T

the play space of all games are determinded by resources. thats why console/pc games have such strict limits. why you can do some things but not others that you would think you should be able to do. and why even online P2P MMORPG's are still "small worlds". but all these manga's and novels have magical super tech that we are probably at least half a century from. where competent AI's and resources are high to allow large freedoms you don't get in todays MMO's.

Dude. Eve Online.

But actually a game like that will become so complicated it will sink you several months to just learn the tutorial

i would also like the link to a translated version if indeed one does exist.

>VRMMO where each player has 10 skill slots. Skills can be switched out at will, but only 10 can be active at a time

>Using a skill levels it up, once it reaches a certain level you get skill points which you can use to learn new skills

>MC picks skills that are generally considered useless

>They include Archery, Apothecary, Cooking, Manufacturer, Eagle Eye

>An item's effect can change depending on the procedure used. Recipes for items are not listed on wikis

>He gets a Fire attribute Fox as a pet

Seems like it's completely plagiarizing Only Sense Online except without the 'MC being a trap' setting

http://ncode.syosetu.com/n4527bc/

give me link to translated version goooooooooo

Man, I wish MMORPGs actually worked like this. Unfortunately, when crafting's profitable, a shitload of people will already be doing it.

I would play the fuck out of a Support Merchant class...

why not a class which kill monster with money? like Maverick the Gambler in Dota, if you happen to know him. if not, it's kinda like archer, instead of bow and arrow you're using, you throw money at the enemy, you lose money in the process but you gain critical hit and gain more money + the amount you already use to attack it if you finish killing the enemy.

When he was asking for the webnovel and translation he was not asking about the webtoon for LMS which is what the previous guy was taking about "having the potential for" he was asking about there being a webnovel and translation for 

To aru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Really !!! Where do ya read it ?

Like the previous guy said : 'potential', it isn't out yet. I'm pretty sure it's a confirmed thing though.

Anyone got a link to the webnovel of this, and is there a translation project for it?

It never actually happens like that in reality, of course, since the play space of any such game is quite limited,

the play space of all games are determinded by resources. thats why console/pc games have such strict limits. why you can do some things but not others that you would think you should be able to do. and why even online P2P MMORPG's are still "small worlds". but all these manga's and novels have magical super tech that we are probably at least half a century from. where competent AI's and resources are high to allow large freedoms you don't get in todays MMO's.

Just want to mention there is a potential webtoon in the works for LMS

Really !!!
Where do ya read it ?

...my suspension of disbelief is broken every third page or so

its a virtual reality game in a fictional world.  you're unable to imagine a world technologically advanced enough to give immersive VR, like say The Matrix?  seriously?

This so far is the quintessence of exactly what a young, bright-eyed gamer imagines doing when he's first told about MMORPGs. You're going to go out there and become a master, a sage at something like no one else around you. You know you're not going to be the best, because that would be silly, but you just can just -taste- you're going to be a special person in an epic world.

It never actually happens like that in reality, of course, since the play space of any such game is quite limited, and crafting and whatnot end up basically being a spreadsheet game. That can be glossed over in a single-player game, but when you're constantly comparing yourself to everyone around you it becomes painfully obvious.

Despite the fact that my suspension of disbelief is broken every third page or so, I think the fictional vindication of that childhood dream is definitely getting through to me.

18% healing, that's just freaking overkill

This is like low potion of 15% with extra boost because MC made it flavored. Medium is something like 25% and High Potion is like 50% and there is one full potion but that depend of game we're playing, of course.

Pfft! I wish an VRMMO existed like this while I'm alive.

Me too, me too.

If we're lucky we might see something like this within a couple of decennia, considering quantum computers and such going mainstream.

The pacing is going pretty fast but I guess haing a bunch of pics and wall of text of him crafting would be boring.

So how did Gro (seen games use Gro(s)) turn into Gulor and how in the world could someone turn "Werewolf Leather Set" into "Razor Werewolf Set".

Thank god I'm just reading the webnovel.

Uh yeah, just like standard MMOs. You can quickly craft 500 generic crap version items by setting it to automatic or you can slowly and manually and HOPEFULLY get the high quality item.

Cause video games can simulate the smells of fictional ingredients being cooked into fictional recipes. Righttttttttt..... Do you know what a "video game" is?

Or you could fuck crits and just bombard the target with arrows?

Wow, does no one here play a MMO? MMO players do this regularly against raid/world bosses: the tank group holds agro, everyone spams whatever DPS (read: arrows) into the target until it goes down. Simple as that. Stealth? Blind spots? Critical hits? Unless you hacked the game for a one-hit-kill GM weapon, shut up and just keep shooting till it dies!

You're not familiar with MMOVRPG, do you? Though its still not very much like "Enter the game" like The Matrix, its increasingly heading there.

Your tactic of "Spamming crits and DPS" only works if you're playing something along the line on WoW or Ragnarok Online Season 1 which is by now is starting to decline.

MMOs like TERA or Dragon Nest or even something platforming like Elsword which requires you to actually plan your moves instead of just point and click is increasing in popularity. Players no longer just click on enemy and the AI do the rest with them only pressing skill button, they actually has to aim and take advantageous position to deal maximum damage in the most efficient way, especially when they are going solo like the guy in this manga is.

As far as translating the five senses into the game, it IS still a stretch in real world but technology is starting to head there too. Oculus Rift for one, already allows you to integrate sense of sight to immerse you into the game world as if you're really in there instead of in front of the screen. I figure that the rest will catch up shortly, probably not in the next decade but definitely earlier than then next century.

Cause video games can simulate the smells of fictional ingredients being cooked into fictional recipes. Righttttttttt..... Do you know what a "video game" is?

you new to the VR genre? thats the only way i can see you not being able to understand what a VR game is. if you think smelling is far fectched then you need to read "Legendary moonlight sculptor," "Ark," "SAO" and many others. they'll be showing you lots of things that are beyond "video games."

It was clearly said that you need to craft item very hard and very slowly at least once, to make it possible to craft instantly.

Smell the food? This is VR.

Uh yeah, just like standard MMOs. You can quickly craft 500 generic crap version items by setting it to automatic or you can slowly and manually and HOPEFULLY get the high quality item.

Umm. I think it actually makes sense that archery need to be combined with stealth against enemies. I mean that's the basics of hunting in Real Life. You think you can shoot an animal with a bow just by walking into it's blind spot? Get real. Animals have sharper 5 senses than humans. Stealth would be essential.

Or you could fuck crits and just bombard the target with arrows?

Wow, does no one here play a MMO? MMO players do this regularly against raid/world bosses: the tank group holds agro, everyone spams whatever DPS (read: arrows) into the target until it goes down. Simple as that. Stealth? Blind spots? Critical hits? Unless you hacked the game for a one-hit-kill GM weapon, shut up and just keep shooting till it dies!

Why is this once a month?? it so GUUUUUDDDD!!

Kind of make me sad when crappy manga get weekly release.

did you try "Ark" on japtem.com ? it's pretty much of the same quality.

No. it's on my to read list now, thanks.

People might enjoy 1/2 Prince on http://www.princerevolution.org/ and Batoto. Also there are Sword Art Online (SAO) and Log Horizon. Both have light novels, manga, and anime adaptations.

it's beacause you don't have any "auto-aim" like capacity based on a stat, so you have to learn how to aim and the main char has to use "stealth" to hide his killing intent from the monster so you actually need two skill to make one work (even then i agree it's op XD)

Umm. I think it actually makes sense that archery need to be combined with stealth against enemies. I mean that's the basics of hunting in Real Life. You think you can shoot an animal with a bow just by walking into it's blind spot? Get real. Animals have sharper 5 senses than humans. Stealth would be essential.

And the idea to combine archery with stealth is not new to video games. When I play skyrim. I combine stealth with archery to get a 6x bonus to attack (mastered both of them). I can reduce at least 60% of the enemies' health that way (Note: The enemies get stronger as you level up in skyrim). Compared to the 40% with just melee weapons its way more efficient. Stealth melee (with one-handed swords) is another matter.

is this a LN adaptation?

if it is, i think this is worth translating more than Re:Monster

not that im saying remonster is bad

Nope, not by far. Re:Monster is way better ~

Not saying this is bad, though.

I think both are quite good. Re:Monster shows things from the monsters point of view which is quite new and refreshing. This shows things from a newbie adventurers point of view which is quite charming in it's own way.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics