Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 481votes)

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Alt Names: alt A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Logalt とあるおっさんのVRMMO活動記alt To Aru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudoukialt 某大叔的vrmmo活动记
Author: Shiina Howahowa
Artist: Rikudou Shuuya
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyCooking CookingFantasy FantasyHarem HaremSci-fi Sci-fiSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi(38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

Original Webcomic:
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/658000067/
Go to Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Lates chapter discussion New Window Freenight
  • 40 Replies
Topic Suggestions? New Window Creecha
  • 4 Replies
Topic Light Novel Of This Manga??? New Window TeamdichJustT
  • 8 Replies

1201 Comments

Made this thread ...

"Living in Game" series !

I need time to arrange this tough ...

If I post too fast, it will cause the post get combined with the previous one  ...

oh only sense. heh. krytyk~

anyway seems to be a boom of similar good manga/webnovels nowadays.

hidden stats eh, I like that.

Rune Factory 3 (3 only, the rest is kinda bad), anyone who haven't play this really missing a great game ... (RPG-ed Harvest Moon) Cooking, Crafting, Blacksmithing, Enchanting ...

and in new rpg game D:OS ...

Crafting (mixed with Alchemy and Cooking) and Blacksmithing ... (should have respawn enemy and resources)

No one mention Ar Tonelico ? Atelier Iris ? Mana Chemia ?

most game with good gameplay indeed have this element ...

BTW, all above I mention isn't MMORPG ... sorry ...

Oh, mine were.  I mostly mention Asheron's Call (I got it for free when it first came out, plus a full year pass, probably the only reason I didn't get into Everquest) and it had those crafting abilities which were mostly considered useless as well, especially on first release.  Fletching made bows or special arrows (slashing, piercing and blunt damage), cooking made food (pointless stamina), alchemy made things that imbued those arrows (acid, fire, ice, poison), or imbued food with special properties (health, mp).  Later on, I recall those skills became important as it was needed to make certain special equipment (weapons and armor), as well as making them certain colors.    
I kind of wish I recalled what my account was under (AC changed from subscription to single purchase two months ago, I still haven't figured out what I registered under).

hmm, I might try to make the thread latter about this "living in game" story ...

already checking around, and yeah, there's a lot ...

and all of it is quite interesting too ...

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari is quite good ...

(the people in that RPG world is super jerk tough)

but is there link for the LN ?

Official site link for the original web novel http://ncode.syosetu.com/n3009bk/

The web novel has about 6000 pages so far, baka-tsuki has translations up to about page 200 of that. (The LN seems to be the web novel pretty much exactly, except with pictures and some side stories added)

add Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari to point 3. I recommend the novel. It is faster then the manga as you get a chapt a day.

hmm, I might try to make the thread latter about this "living in game" story ...

already checking around, and yeah, there's a lot ...

and all of it is quite interesting too ...

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari is quite good ...

(the people in that RPG world is super jerk tough)

but is there link for the LN ?

there's plenty of MMORPG / RPG / Game Novel and manga adaptation ...

some even ...

1. Normal gameplay (willing to play it)

2. Forced and might have penalty if die (deadly game)

(GantZ, SAO, Re:Monster, etc)

3. Forced into that world ...

(No Game No Life, 12Beast, etc)

4. Dead in previous life and enter the "game world"

(Re:Monster, GantZ, etc)

5. Already life in that "world" since start ...

(Dungeon ni Deai, Scrapped Princess, RoTLW, etc) ...

keep searching around while waiting the next release ...

tough this Toaru Ossan already become my fav too ...

add Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari to point 3. I recommend the novel. It is faster then the manga as you get a chapt a day.

Damn. Why are a lot of interesting manga monthly?

I need moar!

there's plenty of MMORPG / RPG / Game Novel and manga adaptation ...

some even ...

1. Normal gameplay (willing to play it)

2. Forced and might have penalty if die (deadly game)

(GantZ, SAO, Re:Monster, etc)

3. Forced into that world ...

(No Game No Life, 12Beast, etc)

4. Dead in previous life and enter the "game world"

(Re:Monster, GantZ, etc)

5. Already life in that "world" since start ...

(Dungeon ni Deai, Scrapped Princess, RoTLW, etc) ...

keep searching around while waiting the next release ...

tough this Toaru Ossan already become my fav too ...

Damn. Why are a lot of interesting manga monthly?

I need moar!

Gah, yes.  Back in the MUDs/MOOs and Everquest/Ashrons Call, my main character was just that, I took archery, fletching, cooking and apothecary as my  main skills.  I still do these sorts of characters whenever I can, though I haven't played any in a while.  I remember being beaten up by cows...

Rune Factory 3 (3 only, the rest is kinda bad), anyone who haven't play this really missing a great game ... (RPG-ed Harvest Moon) Cooking, Crafting, Blacksmithing, Enchanting ...

and in new rpg game D:OS ...

Crafting (mixed with Alchemy and Cooking) and Blacksmithing ... (should have respawn enemy and resources)

No one mention Ar Tonelico ? Atelier Iris ? Mana Chemia ?

most game with good gameplay indeed have this element ...

BTW, all above I mention isn't MMORPG ... sorry ...

just starting this ... wow, I LOVE gameplay ...

if only that game available in RL ...

(lately most good game have alchemy, cooking and crafting too)

and all that skill combination ...

it actually might become OP latter ...

starting to miss SAO and Log Horizon ... lolz ...

oh yeah, Log Horizon anime will get next season too ...

Gah, yes.  Back in the MUDs/MOOs and Everquest/Ashrons Call, my main character was just that, I took archery, fletching, cooking and apothecary as my  main skills.  I still do these sorts of characters whenever I can, though I haven't played any in a while.  I remember being beaten up by cows...

Serious?!
"Hate"??????????
should it be called "Aggro"????????

whenever have translated it or the author that made that word never played a mmo......

ps:btw "Aggro" is abbreviation of Aggresive

It could be that Japanese players use different terms than English players. Also, I'm pretty sure one question mark and three dots are enough.

Serious?!

"Hate"??????????

whenever have translated it or the author that made that word never played a mmo......

well then i doubt you played a mmo because hate is a term used often when the mob is not on you but you are using abilities that build threat. aggro is just used when it turns to you and attacks you.

Serious?!

"Hate"??????????

As a long-time pencil-and-paper roleplayer I can tell you this:  ALL SYSTEMS CAN BE MANIPULATED.

Anyone can min-max, there's always some way to get disproportionate power.  After you've done it a certain number of times it gets less entertaining, especially since in pencil-and-paper the GM can always just make the opposition more unreasonable in return.

Funny as it is, I ruined many guilds strategies in GvG myself by bringing in a balanced character or an anti-thesis char like a Quick Tank.

Their extreme builds did not work correctly sometimes or outrith i was simply clever than them using a wide range of unexpected skills like [Hide] or [Back-Slide] when I shouldn't be able to.

Most people focus on simple stragies that work most of the time and big numbers, me, I was an AGI Crusader that destroyed the other guardian crystal and it's bodyguards XD

Re:Monster also get updated too ...

after I read both of this, I hope I get dream of MMORPG ... =3= ...

As a long-time pencil-and-paper roleplayer I can tell you this:  ALL SYSTEMS CAN BE MANIPULATED.
Anyone can min-max, there's always some way to get disproportionate power.  After you've done it a certain number of times it gets less entertaining, especially since in pencil-and-paper the GM can always just make the opposition more unreasonable in return.

I must admit, my first character was designed to break magic in half. By the end of the campaign, I was doing 95% of the team's damage, and riding a supersized hellhound mount around the battlefield, raining destruction on encounters 5-6 levels above our own.
It was great fun, but the problem is that once you start breaking the mechanics of the game, there's really no going back. Everyone immediately starts trying to figure out how to do the same, and entire games turn into a competition to see who can be the most pointlessly OP. it's really not very fun, and if your GM is newer, it can ruin the whole experience for them, so that they just want to give up on making a real story.
I really regret that first character, looking back at it.

As a long time table-top roleplayer as well, I think that comparison is very much "off" from what I'm talking about.  For one, there's no real "hidden system" other than whatever the GM does behind his screen (or whatever they're using these days), generally encounter tables, fudged dice, and the like; which the other players have absolutely no control over anyway.  It's manipulated, absolutely, but not by the players in that case.

Spoiler

Essentially:

Whether a given system can be manipulated is up to the permissiveness of the person organizing that system.  Of course, in this case, we're talking about a video game, so there's always the possibility of hacking it, but most players won't generally be up for it, even among those that are capable.

This assumes that the hidden stats/system can also be easily manipulated to a significant degree.  If not, then even if the data/numbers behind it get revealed at some point, it won't make too much of a difference.

Why does this remind me of Only Sense Online?

Spoiler

You can find the translated LN here: http://krytykal.org/only-sense/

Spoiler

As much as I like that idea, as soon as the internet picks up on those hidden combos, they'll just be another factor to min/max...
It's kind of sad... A hidden system is also just based on numbers and will eventually be exploited.

I think it'l still be impossible to min/max on commercial level mainly because of the diversed options of reaching the goal as well as it being VRMMO means usually the player has to 'physically' move those actions.

So unless a bot that is configured for your own avatar is used somehow, it probably won't turns out well.

Let's say for example, to push off impurities when smelting a metal, you need a certain value of force (too little and there's some impurities remain, too much and you shatter the metal into pieces)

A short person might reach that value by doing an overhead swing, but a much taller person might only need to lift the hammer up to his shoulder.

Not to mention the extra diversity beyond that point. Like his grape flavored potion, he probably could've made one without the flavoring and still have the same healing benefit, but since the game have sense of taste/smell, the grape flavored helps make it even more popular.

For those comparing this manga to Mahouka and SAO, please don't. This is far better than them. It actually takes time to build solid game mechanics and introduce interesting realistic characters. Not like Mahouka, whose MC is literally an emotionless Marty Stu bastard who's only redeeming trait is his annoying little sister, or SAO, which conjures up bullshit game mechanics solely for the plot. This manga is only 4 chapters in and still better. For sake of decency, please keep this untainted.

I can understand comparing it to SAO to an extent (VRMMOs for fun and profit and all that), by why the hell would anyone compare it to the Irregular?  It's a completely different genre, setting, and pool of characters.  That's like comparing The Hobbit to Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

As much as I like that idea, as soon as the internet picks up on those hidden combos, they'll just be another factor to min/max...
It's kind of sad... A hidden system is also just based on numbers and will eventually be exploited.

This assumes that the hidden stats/system can also be easily manipulated to a significant degree.  If not, then even if the data/numbers behind it get revealed at some point, it won't make too much of a difference.

not only min / max, I think the thing which makes it more powerful is how to combine it ...

The developers deliberately planned for some skills to have hidden benefits in order to reward players who choose to experiment rather than min/maxing. This could explain chapter 3 with the potion shortage.

Why does this remind me of Only Sense Online?

Spoiler

You can find the translated LN here: http://krytykal.org/only-sense/

For those comparing this manga to Mahouka and SAO, please don't. This is far better than them. It actually takes time to build solid game mechanics and introduce interesting realistic characters. Not like Mahouka, whose MC is literally an emotionless Marty Stu bastard who's only redeeming trait is his annoying little sister, or SAO, which conjures up bullshit game mechanics solely for the plot. This manga is only 4 chapters in and still better. For sake of decency, please keep this untainted.

And you're a pot calling kettle black at this point, the middle part of your paragraph was unnecessary.

Take a lesson from ch 4 and NOT get stuck with "Apple is better than Orange" mindset please. All 3 stories focus on different things.

try to watch Log Horizon ...

the system is pretty much same ... =3= ...

(but they only have one sub job / skill)

choose cook, alchemy, craft, etc ...

(but only one per person)

very nerv version from this manga which can select 10 of it ...

also Archery + Wind magic ...

try to read "Madan no Ou to Vanadis" ...

freaking OP attack ...

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics