Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.48 - 403votes)

I Am a Hero

Alt Names: alt Ako ay isang Bayanialt Aku Adalah Seorang Pahlawanalt アイアムアヒーローalt Ben Bir Kahramanımalt Eu Sou Um Heróialt 请叫我英雄alt Soy un Héroealt Tôi là anh hùngalt من قهرمانمalt Я — геройalt אני גיבורalt أنا بطل
Author: Hanazawa Kengo
Artist: Hanazawa Kengo
Genres: Action ActionAward Winning Award WinningDrama DramaEcchi EcchiHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSmut SmutSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hideo Suzuki is a thirty-five year old mangaka assistant struggling to be the hero in his own life by breaking back into the lime light with a new serial all the while juggling his relationship with his girlfriend and his own delusions.

However, as hard as Hideo may try, the world seems to have a different set of plans for him; sinister and dark machinations that completely overturn his reality as he knows it.

Nominated for the 3rd and 4th Manga Taisho Award (2010 and 2011).
Go to I Am a Hero Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Final Chapter (264) disc. (spoilers) New Window Serial Raper
  • 9 Replies
Topic Is there any sight to when this might end? New Window SangMo
  • 2 Replies
Topic "I Am a Hero" movie coming out April 23rd, 2016 New Window Ozen
  • 17 Replies
Topic Chapter 197 New Window Tadao
  • 0 Replies
Topic Zombie Apocalypse Day Preparation (For fun) New Window Harpuea
  • 21 Replies
Topic Infected and awakened and hair. New Window Delete me 12345567
  • 2 Replies

1217 Comments

So he just randomly judges people by how they look and starts sniping live people? what happened to all the letters to the police that he was sorry

He is basically just projecting himself on the fat dude without knowing nothing and involving himself in a outsider's fight. Which is honestly weird to see.

Seriously. How retarded is the MC that he does not find it strange in the least that this “poor old man” is fighting like a martial arts deity ... and is wearing only briefs to boot!

In whatever case, if you look at it from his point, then all he would see is a fat old man fighting like a martial art deity and nothing else. It wouldn't even cross his mind that he's a super zombie. 

So he just randomly judges people by how they look and starts sniping live people? what happened to all the letters to the police that he was sorry

I'm more surprised by the fact he didn't seem to notice the physical change of the Kurusu to the fat kurusu. But I guess that could be justified by him not paying attention.

oh that poor fat old man. never mind how he's flipping around like an acrobat with a blade in each hand.

Seriously. How retarded is the MC that he does not find it strange in the least that this “poor old man” is fighting like a martial arts deity ... and is wearing only briefs to boot!
my understanding of the manga has increased dramatically, after a single reread. i have come to the conclusion, the mangaka is under the influence of heavy drugs. either that or he talks to himself like Hideo i give it 5/5 for the manga staying true to itself, it would be easier to axe it at this point. i would love to see the final conclusion, keep it up!

oh that poor fat old man. never mind how he's flipping around like an acrobat with a blade in each hand.

Poor old fat guy is probably the strongest dude in the whole manga

It's very simple. The source of the virus is still unknown. Ending it right when you are about to reveal the answer? Sounds axed. Would be a shame If no sequel will be announced later. Too bad I've liked the technique in portraying zombies in this manga with its realistic and mature atmosphere. Too bad. Too bad...

There was never a need to explain the source of the virus, and even if it was explained what would that accomplish? Sure the half-assed 'it's aliens' answer the author gave wasn't satisfying, but there isn't really a need to explain the origin of the virus. I really don't know what grand finale people were expecting. 

What happened? AXE happened!

...or so I would say, were I to examine things only at a passive glance. However, the manga has been building up to an ending for a while now. I've been suspecting it ever since they did it at the beach. I just didn't want to believe it, since this manga is one of my favorites and I'd like it to go on for much longer.

But think about it. Oda is dead, Hiromi has joined the hivemind and Hideo pretty much went on a suicide mission to rescue her. The other cast is trapped and infighting in a very precarious building. Both are being swarmed by ZQN and attacked by a gigantic abomination. This is pretty much the ending.

I mean really, what did anyone expect? That he'd rescue Hiromi, save the world from the zombie menace and go live in a comfy hut by the mountainside, the manga ending only in another 2 or 3 volumes from now? CAUSE I DID! GODDAMN IT!

It's very simple. The source of the virus is still unknown. Ending it right when you are about to reveal the answer? Sounds axed. Would be a shame If no sequel will be announced later. Too bad I've liked the technique in portraying zombies in this manga with its realistic and mature atmosphere. Too bad. Too bad...

I'm guessing he shoots Kurusu and somehow that stops the all the Zs including the meat titan that's trying to hump the building

I can't stand how poor the "art" has gotten. Author clearly gave up months ago.

haruki is a goner, move on already! that guy should just get 'em both and get up to the heli...

What happened? AXE happened!

...or so I would say, were I to examine things only at a passive glance. However, the manga has been building up to an ending for a while now. I've been suspecting it ever since they did it at the beach. I just didn't want to believe it, since this manga is one of my favorites and I'd like it to go on for much longer.

But think about it. Oda is dead, Hiromi has joined the hivemind and Hideo pretty much went on a suicide mission to rescue her. The other cast is trapped and infighting in a very precarious building. Both are being swarmed by ZQN and attacked by a gigantic abomination. This is pretty much the ending.

I mean really, what did anyone expect? That he'd rescue Hiromi, save the world from the zombie menace and go live in a comfy hut by the mountainside, the manga ending only in another 2 or 3 volumes from now? CAUSE I DID! GODDAMN IT!

Was that the naked emperor?

This series might have been good, but the day it was announced to end right when things are getting interesting again, it became crap. Not as a whole, but as a conclusion. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY ENDING. This will end shit for sure. That is if no sequel will be announced later. I also can't see how someone can perceive this series as approaching to its climax. It was just getting STARTED again not concluding.

It sounds like you are arguing against climaxes in general. It's how they work: the climax should be one of the most interesting parts of the story, which is as you described. They also require a resolution, which means the story must end.

The story isn't about the zombies, it's about humans surviving. I imagine the larger story about the zombies will be explored more in further works, so if you want that, read/watch those too. I'm really not sure what you want from this story for an ending, since the primary focus has been on personal growth, especially in Hideo. He really has grown a lot, so it's a fitting place for an ending.

You also seem to be confusing the publication with the story. The story started a long time ago and will be finishing soon; only the publication had a pause. That's the bad bit about comics in general: the telling of a story can interrupt the experience.

that last page...

This has no competition and no replacement, got himself a novelization, a collage of sidestories that are also a homage, a side-story manga, a live action that won 2 awards, and its author was invited by Naoki Urasawa himself to take part in Mamben, Hanazawa could literally go and keep milking this for years to come and he would not get axed.

If you have been reading manga for a long time you should know this, on the other hand there's a sea of abandoned series that end because the authors just give up on them and move to work on something else without giving them and ending, not due to getting cancelled by their publishers but because they simply lost passion on the story, this may be the case here, and at least we are getting an ending, but with that said if Hanazawa wanted he could go for a decade, and the magazine would gladly support it.

No matter how you explain how great this series was, it still doesn't justify ending it right here. Imagine how the author was trying to introduce the alien shit and how some zombies show the same signs, isn't that kind of weird to end it right when a new element was added? I was expecting another arc, but instead we are given a conclusion just when some thing new came up.

This series might have been good, but the day it was announced to end right when things are getting interesting again, it became crap. Not as a whole, but as a conclusion. I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY ENDING. This will end shit for sure. That is if no sequel will be announced later. I also can't see how someone can perceive this series as approaching to its climax. It was just getting STARTED again not concluding.

Looks like I need to find something new to translate soon...

Welp, let's enjoy the last few chapters for now. Shit is getting intense.

Terra Formars, please ;v

It was not competing against anything. The author simply milked the series until the readers lost interest. You can tell an author is milking a series when the plot development drops and the nonsense psychological crap picks up. We've been at this same spot for how many chapters now? To show the MC getting up there, the giant zombie, and the people in the building should have taken ~4 chapters tops.

Another tell tale sign an author is milking a series is when they start introducing random elements instead of tying up loose ends. Remember how this shit is happening all over the world? How the zombies are merging and acting like aliens? We have never been given any explanation for this. I get the impression the author came up with this stuff to try to renew interest in the series rather than, you know, actually ending it.

You will notice these tell tale signs once you've been reading manga for awhile. In some ways you can't blame the author because more chapters = more money for them, but at the same time if they aren't creative enough to come up with original stories then they probably chose the wrong profession. Imagine a regular book author who instead of tying up lose ends just kept pumping out volume after volume of a franchise with little thought of the previous characters, except when it was convenient.

R.I.P. I am a Hero.

This has no competition and no replacement, got himself a novelization, a collage of sidestories that are also a homage, a side-story manga, a live action that won 2 awards, and its author was invited by Naoki Urasawa himself to take part in Mamben, Hanazawa could literally go and keep milking this for years to come and he would not get axed.

If you have been reading manga for a long time you should know this, on the other hand there's a sea of abandoned series that end because the authors just give up on them and move to work on something else without giving them and ending, not due to getting cancelled by their publishers but because they simply lost passion on the story, this may be the case here, and at least we are getting an ending, but with that said if Hanazawa wanted he could go for a decade, and the magazine would gladly support it.

i need MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEE

WTF. Did it just got axed? Too bad, I guess the alienation was the signal.

Well the entire story has obvious been building up to a climax. It also sounds as if the people involved also want to expore this fictional world in other ways.

See you next chapter, man.

That was absolutely savage. Well done.

It was not competing against anything. The author simply milked the series until the readers lost interest. You can tell an author is milking a series when the plot development drops and the nonsense psychological crap picks up. We've been at this same spot for how many chapters now? To show the MC getting up there, the giant zombie, and the people in the building should have taken ~4 chapters tops.

Another tell tale sign an author is milking a series is when they start introducing random elements instead of tying up loose ends. Remember how this shit is happening all over the world? How the zombies are merging and acting like aliens? We have never been given any explanation for this. I get the impression the author came up with this stuff to try to renew interest in the series rather than, you know, actually ending it.

You will notice these tell tale signs once you've been reading manga for awhile. In some ways you can't blame the author because more chapters = more money for them, but at the same time if they aren't creative enough to come up with original stories then they probably chose the wrong profession. Imagine a regular book author who instead of tying up lose ends just kept pumping out volume after volume of a franchise with little thought of the previous characters, except when it was convenient.

R.I.P. I am a Hero.

See you next chapter, man.

R.I.P. I am a Hero.

But... we all know in I am a Hero, you won't be "requiescat in pace" much, since you become a zombie with a conscious ;p

I'll volunteer the term "Taste Lead" in the place of "R.I.P." as it is more fitting~

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics