Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Magician General Discussion

webtoon general discussion manhwa art styles character development time slip

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationThe States, Colorado
I really like Magician and would like to chat in detailed consideration of the story and a verities of topics.

Like why is Iremi following Edermask, is it more than just keeping Enzu safe?

Or how Kim Sarae used so many different art styles, and gets better almost every chapter. I liked it best when he was drawing with pin but I’m glad he switched to brush because he draws faster with it and there fore has more time to work on the story.

I think there is a lot of foreshadowing in this story it will be very interesting to see it come into light.

I like that the lines in-between good & evil are blurred for some characters like Edan and Edermask. Edan seems chaotic good at the best of times but if you’re in the way of his ideas then he is undoubtedly evil. But then there are characters like Iremi whom is undoubtedly good and will persist to walk upright even when burdened by forces greater than her.

You must die, I alone am best!

Posted Image

Signature: a swordsman in ‘Magician’

Spoiler

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor
i think that eremy is in love with Ajussi, so sad, i want her to bang enzu for all this year. yeah im plain as that xD

I have alwavs found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the Only Wise. This they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning.
W.B

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts

i think that eremy is in love with Ajussi, so sad, i want her to bang enzu for all this year. yeah im plain as that xD

That could be. I personally like to think she was just a little brat and love was the last thing on her mind.

Maybe she felt her powers overwhelming the seal & was unconsciously seeking someone powerful to learn from.

Or what if she is the reincarnation of one of Edermasks old companions and not just their ancestor so she felt some lingering kinship for/to him?

Posted Image

Spoiler

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor
could be, since we saw this couple of ajussis... uhmmm, it could be that some power is drawing them to each other, but, considering my knowledge of female chars (ain that low) i bet Iremi is in love with Edermask, Kim Sarae aint SIU to troll us like that (im saying, he maybe more predictable, that is not the same as less awsome story)

I have alwavs found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the Only Wise. This they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning.
W.B

moyra

moyra

Potato

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOkinawa

Kim Sarae used so many different art styles, and gets better almost every chapter. I liked it best when he was drawing with pin but I’m glad he switched to brush because he draws faster with it and there fore has more time to work on the story.

I think there is a lot of foreshadowing in this story it will be very interesting to see it come into light.

I like that the lines in-between good & evil are blurred for some characters like Edan and Edermask. Edan seems chaotic good at the best of times but if you’re in the way of his ideas then he is undoubtedly evil. But then there are characters like Iremi whom is undoubtedly good and will persist to walk upright even when burdened by forces greater than her.

Hair always looks coolest drawn with pin, but over all brush looks best in my opinion, you can get a lot more colors and shades by applying appropriate pressure without actually using other colors so ya it is faster. Edermask seems shady in many parts of the story. He could probably live a normal life if he cut his hair and used the simplest of disguises. He isn't a bad guy but makes no effort to change anyone's opinion of him. Why he don't want to be able to move more freely like he dose in that Magic City.

In Edermask and Janus's history the best we got was when D's sword was talking to him about Edermask killing lots of powerful magic users.

Edited by moyra, 05 December 2012 - 02:08 AM.

Moyra Wendy Angela Darling

Spoiler

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts

A lot of people saw Edermask as the "Magician" the main character but I have always thought that Iremi was the person this manhwa was titled after.

So from now on I´m going to take a look at the untranslated raws, too.

Well ... one might actually argue that there is more to Iremis relationship with Edermask besides the apperant childhood / schoolgirl crush ... Edermask might´ve also been an object of admiration and a role model for her up until now ... and also one of the few persons in her life towards her arrogance didn´t let her look down to but someone she could, no matter how much time passes, look up to or at least view as equal .. and he´s possibly something akin to an (much) older brother / father figure for her, too. Guess she never really sorted out how exactly she felt about him and how to deal with her likely rather often conflicting emotions toward him.

Her being somewhat Tsundere-like and filled with a bunch of insecuritys that she´s covering up with her arrogant behavior isn´t helping either.

And who knows what´s actually going to happen now, after Wandra messed around with her powers and, likely, mind. Besides the apperant worries (who knows how justified they´re actually are, or if Iremi would´ve been just fine without the "being killed" or "getting her power sealed with some extremly powerful seal") of the old townsfolk that wanted to kill her before she grows up into a powermad psychotic bitch or complet monster that fews the people around her as nothing more as weed and who thinks about bullying or killing them as something akin to "ripping out weed"?

I think you hit the nail on the head there, that sounds like the most compelling reason out of any i have read or thought up for Iremi to follow Edermask. Just because he is so powerful that she could always look up to him, he was someone maybe the only one who wouldn't have feared her when she was unsealed. All those crazy old ladies from her village were willing to cripple her just to seal her powers, even Wanda finally had to agree to seal her because they would rather kill Iremi than let her run loose unsealed, they feared her power that much.     

Posted Image

Spoiler

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts

So if Janus's original name was Amuro and Shadow really chose the name Ethermask and was the 1st one to use it I wonder what Edermaks real name is maybe Madosa? That's what the granny called him in the 1st chapter Modosa Ethermask      

Posted Image

Spoiler

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany

So ... as Iremis seal breaks, her rewritten personality fades away / shatters and she´s going to have the possibility of a significant personality change in the near future? A possible case of loss of identity, maybe?

Well .. I guess talking about what´s a "fake personality" in her case and what was / is her actual personality seems rather pointless. After all, even if her personality got messed with, both ... the rewritten one and the old / possibly new one can be, from a certain point of view, be considered as "real".

I wouldn´t be surprised if the orginal personality and the aspects from the rewirtten personality fused over time to form her current personality, though.

Bolsilludo

Bolsilludo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUruguay

A "new" Iremi.. that would be VERY interesting to see

MazinoTatSig_zpsc32e88b5.jpg

Elaine

Elaine

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 225 posts

Could you pls stop posting in two threads? I think one thread for the latest chapters, and one for thr raws are enough...

jSc7ckC.jpg?1

moyra

moyra

Potato

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOkinawa

There is nothing wrong with having a topic for general discussion. I personaly find it annoying when we are takling about the lattest chapter in the other thread then people get off topic disussing older chapters or ideas of forshadowing.

Rang said his partner was over 120 years old I wonder if maybe she is Iremis ansestor she could be her great great grandmother or just Iremi's mother for all we know. The fact that Edermask, Janus and Shadow all seem to know something about her leads me to belive that they are related.

I'm not really basing this idea on anything but; remember that old monk that sealed Matthew in an egg when she was in dragon form? Well they were guarding something they had powerfully sealed I have been thinking that what the have sealed is the other person like Iremi that witch of the south or whatever they called her.

Spoiler

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor

i think that Ethermask real name is Madosa by the way

W.B

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany

So ... the dragons in the magician world are shapeshifter (or they do, for example, simply change their body template ... two separate accessable forms that are linked together and swapped as necessary), correct? Or ... do they mate with humans without changing into a at least seemingly humanoid form?

And ... if they´re shapeshifters, are they only able to shapeshift into somewhat similar shapes compared themself (big scaly stuff) and humanod shapes .. or are things like with dragons in D&D and they mate with anything that moves (and some stuff that doesn´t)?

Any interesting guess? And when we´re already talking about dragons, what else to we know about the dragons in magician?

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts

Mollievor describes Matthew as "a decedent of the ancient & noble dragons" I like to think that they were like the dragons from The Forgotten Realms before they all died off &\or went into hiding. Only their children had incomplete human forms and trouble maintaining the form due to emotions.

Here is a really short story of dragons in human form.

Spoiler

Posted Image

Spoiler

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany

The dragons in the Forgotten Realms are fine and breathing, though, even if dragons of more than 2000 years of age are still quite rare (since dragons actually have some kind of limited lifespan there and there´s, as far as I remember, only a single dragon known to be over 4000 years old, an gold dragon that lived not all that far from waterdeep .. well .. who knows).

Guess the "went into hiding" (Matthew wouldn´t be a half dragon otherwise ... as long as dragon blood isn´t dilluded across multiple generations and all those children are half dragon too, that is) part seems plausible, though, since humanity grew rather strong and haughty and so they might either got fend up with them or ... humanity started stuff like dragon hunting out of fear and/or fun.

Edermasks remarks about how dragons are like possibly implicate that he actually met and maybe even fought against fully grown dragons in the past. But since he´s more than 400 years old ... after what amount of passed time of time people in that manhwa are refering to stuff as ancient?

Edited by Akasha, 18 May 2013 - 03:55 AM.

FattyTuna

FattyTuna

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Is it just me or does Ellie somewhat resemble the Witch of the South? Maybe it is just the similar clothes throwing me off but something is telling me the Ellie is not just a normal young girl.

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany

It´s not just you that thinks that way ... after all, she really (at least distantly) seems resembles her.

Edited by Akasha, 25 May 2013 - 02:21 PM.

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts

It is extremely rare almost unheard of for a magician to control more than one element & I think Janus is probably a magician that can control wind and fire. I think this because he talks like he and Edermask have fought many times and he always wins but I feel that Edermask is as powerful as a single element magician can be. In the first chapter of vol: 2 we see two orbs floating behind Janus the white/blue one for his wind element and a red one probably for fire just like those that sometimes appear behind Edan.

Spoiler

Sure this last time Edermask had the disadvantage of having to fight the entire castle before facing Janus but surely they would have stood evenly during one of their matches over the past 500 years if not Edermask having the advantage a few times yet Janus said Edermask always lost. 

Posted Image

Spoiler

Akasha

Akasha

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well ... if Janus was more skilled to begin with, him winning every time against Edermask simply by virtue of being significantly more powerful in terms of raw magical power or by being even more adept at combat seems quite realistic.

Also ... air/wind magic can be really, really dangerous and, depending on the setting, offers a buckload of serious advantages that seem to be akin to cheating. Starting with powerful levitation (as displayed by Janus), pseudo-telekinetic effects by manipulating the wind (that might be strong enough to make whoever is "in the hand" of the person using the air in such a way possibly completly or mostly helpless), vacuum creation (not really all that much displayed so far ... but well pressure difference makes for quite a bit of "getting the air sucked out of the lung" and "going down within the span of several seconds" as well as "possibly dying within maybe two minutes or less"), suffication by manipulating the air/oxygen in the air or the composition of the air in question in general (we´ve seen similar techniques like that already from Iremi), creation of extremly flamable stuff by rising the oxygen concentration to ridicilous levels (inflicting oxygen posion is a nasty benefit, too), wind constructs (like the wind dragon employed by Janus to case after Edermasks and their own dragon while they were on their way to rescue Natasha and to back Time up), extremly compressed air enough to effortlessly shatter stone and steel (not really displayed so far in story, but well), air blades (that might be really large ... )like , for example, large enough that cut through lots and lots of stuff (and that might be created at such close distance that it´s nigh-impossible to actually dodge them), generating sufficently potent shields to block or divert or otherwise redirect most physical attacks with ease, captialazing on airs isulative effects, extremly strong winds in general that can be very deadly and yeah ... controlling the weather through manipulation of air flow, therefore creating storm systems, tornados, taifuns, thunderstorms and whatever else. There´s the entire "boosting the physical fighting abilities through the manipulation of air pressure, supportive wind that increases the personal speed and hindering others in a similar fashion, thus putting them at a significant disadvantage. If someone is sufficently broken enough ... really what would be the issue with said person using wind magic to blow away an entire mountain range with an gigantic blast of compressed air or simply hurling mountains at an opponent, thus crushing them, or catapulting opponents together with the mountain in outer space out of spite and "because I can"? Then there´s the entire issue with extremly hot or extremly cold air, too. And whatever strange stuff extremly high air pressure does to many things found in nature.

Sufficently advanced Air manipulation likely can affect several other elements, too, starting with fire (oxygen ... and blowing fire out ... creating a wind system to make a enormus wildfire or firestorm under the control of the user, stuff like that), water (wind is one of the key factors behind some quite serious waves, after all ... and manipulating wind in a pseudo-telekinetic allows for the manipulation of water, too ... and wind can seperate and destroy water based stuff just fine), earth and sand (through wind-based erosion and blowing it around as one pleases), lightning (by manipulating air in such a way that it´s more favorable or well ... not), the list goes on.

As for the suggestion of Janus being able to whild a second element (fire) ... well ... why not (even though he likely wouldn´t need it no beat the crap out of his opponents)? It goes quite well together with air after all, and synergy is something someone like him might appreciate.

But then again ... it doesn´t exactly seem to be all that easy (for the average magic user, that is. Janus doesn´t seem like the average magic user at all, though) to obtain multiple elements at once (and to gain the support of several elemental spirits or whatever magician is currently using for those to back an magic user up even further) and then use every element they have at it´s maximum potency.

Edited by Akasha, 29 June 2013 - 07:44 PM.

moyra

moyra

Potato

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOkinawa

I'm wondering how close Enzu is to Time's obilaty in that fight with Quin he was clearly holding back but it hasn't shown him use that special attack yet that lingers around like a shield.

Spoiler

img000029.jpg

Spoiler