Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The superhero organization

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Meow Zorg

Meow Zorg

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNapa, California
Why are you saying a manga is not orginal for being in a genre... It is like saying a novel is not original because its characters fall in love.

To be honest i believe that fan service is terrible

Wayne Low

Wayne Low

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
Haha wow, the recent replies drifted so far from the main topic ;/

Let ..chill. And ..enjoy. Regardless the originality, where manga comes from, how anime are derived, dont let that stop us from being entertained by the one punch powa!

Zeroguard

Zeroguard

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Okay some of the recent replies show some SERIOUS bias, in that 'comics are simple and don't delve far into story, moral concept and character' essentially equating a genre of absolutely ludicrous proportions to something far, FAR off of what it actually is. Manga is also being sung as a perfect genre by some of you, but it isn't manga is flawed but only because we are talking about manga, the same with talking about comics. Sounds like an oxymoron but only because people here have a serious lack of understanding of something. THESE ARE TWO ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS AND EXPANSIVE FORMS OF MEDIA THAT HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE CREATING THEM, AND HAVE HAD SO MANY PEOPLE CREATING THEM THAT YOU CANNOT EQUATE ANYTHING TO THE GENRE AS A WHOLE. And yes that statement needed caps lock because of how unbelievably some people here have overlooked it >.<

Seriously it's like saying 'T.V. is all sports and all it does is show real-life people either talking about sports or playing them. Nothing else." No, no it does not and it is absurd to think some of you actually believe it. Comics are not all about 'punch bad-guy win day' no they change form CONSTANTLY just like all media does. Spider- man for instance, most of the comic is about Peter Parker, NOT Spider-man, it's about him coping with the hell his responsibilities as a super-hero has put him through, about him remembering that the woman he will always love above any other, Gwen Stacey, was murdered because he tried to do what was right, about him going through the dilemma of whether or not he should kill someone, About him being a regular guy with super-human abilities that just wants to do what is right but constantly has to trudge through the gray areas in life and has even touched the darker sinister parts more than once.

Now saying that ALL manga, again with that damned over-generalizing and ever infuriating statement, is better because it looks into people and there plights and is better for it, no that is simply a flat out in-correct statement. Look at Dragon ball. Now some people may find this blasphemous to say but Dragon Ball, even in it's earlier format where it was less about planet killing villains fighting the main protagonist and more about a quest for magical objects and forming bonds along the way, was kind of horrible. But is only that because of, again, that insane broad generalization, it was a perfectly good manga with amazing humor and definitely for its great action and it's characters were great and memorable, they just weren't deep and we never really got to KNOW them as people and were instead expected to just see them as idols to look up to. Essentially what you described as comics.

It's absurdly cliche to say, but both genre's have there ups and down's, good points and bad points. They both look into the human condition, but not all of either one of them does. The sheer thick-headedness needed to believe that absolutely absurd statement, it is astounding. Again look at all the manga which are just blatant fan service, there is a genre called ecchi which is specifically for manga that throughout their pages will show suggestive themes consistently. It is literally a part of manga culture, but NO, all manga are deep and all manga are absolutely pinnacles of writing when compare to filthy comics. Go and read a comic-book and tell me that throughout it you understood everything perfectly and could in no way have gotten lost when somebody started talking about that time when the Amazon's invaded the world, or when the Stanford incident occurd and split every living super-hero into two different factions each with valid points and neither side budging forcing them to capture, beat and at some points KILL people who have been family to them.

Don't fucking insult comics people, and don't look at manga with rose-tinted glasses either. There are some absolutely AMAZING and draw droppingly fantastic manga out there, just like there are horrendous ones as well. It goes the same way with comics. With movies, video-games, T.V., books and every other form of media EVER. Just because two forms are similar does not mean they should be judged next to one another, the moment I started seeing some of you trying to I seriously had to calm myself down from the amount of rage I felt against you guys. I adore manga, everyday I check on the ones I currently read to see if new chapters have some out yet, if more volumes have been translated, I also like comics and do the same damn thing. Don't insult shit you don't know about (Seriously some of you actually said you have hardly ever picked up a comic) and the world will be a bit better place.

Edited by Zeroguard, 29 November 2012 - 07:27 AM.

The greatest crime of all time is no being born at the beginning of the universe to see everything up until now and not being able to live to the end of the universe to see everything from now on.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts
@Zeroguard
Manga and Comics are the SAME type of media..They're like 2 different fashion magazines. You CAN compare them looking at the points. Your claim was non-sensical.
We cannot equate manga as a whole, but we can do so with comics. The reason is simple, that's because comics are lacking in variety. There's comedy, and superhero comics. Maybe some educational stuff as well? Drama perhaps? But it doesn't come even close by 5 miles to what manga has.

Mangas also have a superhero genre, a comedy genre and it's far above comics. Manga has variety in spades. Comics compared to mangas heavily lack on the variety department. Which is why the ''message'' that comics give out is extremely limited, especially considering that MAJORITY of the comics is meant for early teens. Maybe ''Kickass'' is meant for later teens, cause of the gore? I don't know, but it certainly

Hence the point of this is simple. Comics might have something going for it. They might have their moments. But mangas are BETTER considering the fact that there's such a huge market going for it, the difference in competition with Comics and Manga just shows that bigger competition raises the quality óf the piece.
There will be some mangas that fall short of comics. Sure. But I'll say that there's constantly coming out new pieces, that are better then comics. In the depth of the story part, in the comedy part, and with the characters.

You're just like talking about a olympics competitor that came in last, and are trying to say that ''He wasn't too bad'' .. Yes the competitor with the name ''American comics'' didn't do too bad. It's really hard to get onto the stage that ''it'' competed in, and it's even harder to get out on top.
I didn't insult comics, I just said that ''Mangas are first''. There's no reason to get upset cause of it.

Edited by geenius3ab, 30 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

Hungry Joke

Hungry Joke

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
i was with geenius3ab till he/she hopped on top of the tentacle monster.

all those are just opinions .need to chill with the whole, manga beat comics any day of the week. I like manga more than comics any time of the week but.... come on...

Google for a manga that was turn into a movie and made over 1.5 bill $, or just half of that. or half of half of that. lawls...

but lets be real most manga don't have a deep story or original characters, heck 50% of it is about a wimpy kid who has some sort of special power no one else has.

i rather manga over comics any time of the week but lets not have our opinions cloud the facts..

Edited by Hungry Joke, 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Caleb

Caleb

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPlatinum Jail
Essentially, comics, manga, manhwa, manhua, graphic novels, etc....are just stories with drawings and words...
Also saying "Mangas are first" will really upset some people who love other forms of graphic novels. It's a really opinionated statement.
The river of life is magnificent and dangerous.

Kreian

Kreian

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

So, probably people have already noticed it but seem like Saitama was the direct cause of the founding of the super hero organization.

He started training 3 years ago, when he saved that child from the crab man.

The organization was also started up at around the same time.

The chairman's grandchild was saved by a passing man from a monster, and the guy in question has a ridiculously large chin, just like the kid that was saved by saitama in the past.

So yeah, most likely it was saitama that saved that guy's grandchild.

Still I find it weird that they wouldn't invite saitama to the group or something like that after hearing from him AND knowing that he saved the founder's grandchild, but why is that?

My guess is that the kid in question doesn't recognize him because he lost all of his hair lol.

never noticed that

tumblr_m792o1vknh1qj0scwo6_250.gif

OnePunchManFan

OnePunchManFan

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFollowing Saitama...
I can't get enough of One Punch Man so I found this interesting bit about the Top 10 S-Class super heroes. MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT! (I know you're going to read anyways, aren't you? ;D)

Spoiler

Edited by OnePunchManFan, 16 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Lowlightt

Lowlightt

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
First off lets break down the parades of One Punch man

1. OP or one punch man, this one should be obvious but One Punch man is pretty over powered. Hur Hur /sarcasm

2. OP's uniform is a parody of classic japanse super hero outfits, see kaiman raider as an example.

3. OP's fights have gratuitous powering up sequences and or scenes of IE "I'm moving so fast now/I am now the strongest/Nothing can get in my way" which is a direct parody of DBZ and Onepiece and any other Shonen story (Yu Yu hakasho and so many more)

4. The hero organization ranks heroes and works as a business rather than as heroes. This is actually a tough parody to place. It really has no western counterpart except maybe City of Heroes, it seems to be entirely Asian based. Maybe something to do with ranking characters in an easy to understand way for children the intended audience but its prevalent in tons of manga. Railgun, Ratman, It's found in all most all shonen manga's. Bleach, naruto. On the other side of the pond numerical ranking or letter based ranking systems aren't really used as a plot device is western comics. You really don't see Robin going "Batman whats his power level?"

OP is by far a parody of Shonen Manga, will it have some hits of western comics? Maybe but these will probably be accident rather than on purpose. If you think its referencing a western comic then your probably aren't getting the original reference (which ironically could be referencing western comics.) Crazy Japs.

Ludo

Ludo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Locationportugal
Thank you so much for that info OPM Fan. Let me just correct one small detail. Watch Dog is in the picture, below Geno's right arm!

edit: it also doesn't seem to describe the green dude who looks like Licenceless Rider at the left most spot.

Edited by Ludo, 16 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

OnePunchManFan

OnePunchManFan

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFollowing Saitama...
Licenseless Rider is one of the lower class hero's and we've already seen him so maybe that's why he's not described. But having browsed through the original manga, he appears again in the later chapters so maybe that itself got him into that top-hero's image (or maybe he moved up in rank?).

And thanks for the heads up on Watch Dog! I've made the corrections. :D

Edited by OnePunchManFan, 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Ludo

Ludo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Locationportugal
lol I thought you found this info somewhere on the oficial site or something.. you actually described them as it is? isn't there something more to genos?