Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Teresa and Priscilla, a theory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

accipiter

accipiter

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Major Spoilers if true. I was reading through the series again and I had a thought. It explains a lot of puzzling things about Teresa and Priscilla. There are a few things that don't exactly fit, and there's no real hard evidence. Just thought I'd see what people think. And if it turns out to be true I can be smug about figuring it out.

Priscilla is Teresa's daughter.

Supporting evidence:
1. They both have similar-looking faces (same big forehead). See chapter 20, page 16 for a good picture of them both in profile. Of course this could just be the way Yagi draws everyone's face...

2. They both had black hair before becoming claymores (Priscilla's hair turns back after she awakens, Teresa mentions that she had black hair in ch13 p1).

3. They both have a similar power level. Neither usually releases any youma power when fighting but they both seem to have nearly limitless reserves of it. "It doesn't matter who she fights or how many there are, she kills them all without exhausting her youma power. She's like Teresa of the Faint Smile." (c18 p27)

4. Priscilla's odd behavior towards young girls. First, she doesn't seem to see (or eat) Claire after killing Teresa. Then, as Riful says (c45 p29), she ignores young girls but eats everyone else during her rampages in the north. Behavior consistent with someone with mommy issues?

5. Priscilla's freak out and memory loss after killing Theresa. This would make sense if she just realized that she'd killed her own mother. (c103 p18) (Priscilla talking about Teresea's decapitated head), "But no matter what I do, I can't remember the face... as if it were more and more swallowed by darkness, the more desperately I try to remember it.. and at that time, as if I was being sucked into the deep darkness that gapes at the center of that face I lost my consciousness of all my memories." If Teresa is Priscilla's mom, her memory loss makes sense here. After she realized that she'd just decapitated her own mother, she suppresses the memory and ends up an amnesiac. If Teresa was just someone she was fighting when she awakened, why would she need to suppress this memory?

6. Priscilla smells a 'faint scent' on Raki. This is later revealed to be the scent of Claire. Claire has Teresa's flesh inside of her. What is important here is her reaction to the scent - she likes it to the extent of following Raki around and hugging him while she's unconscious. This might be the way a lost child would react to the scent of her mother?

Objections
1. Claymores can't have kids. Helen says "You brought a child? It can't be your own." (c5 p21) This implies that Claymores can't bear children. Priscilla might have been born before Teresa became a warrior, or there might have been some special circumstances to the birth. We know Priscilla's father was a youma, maybe claymores can't have children with humans, but they can with youma? If she were born from a claymore and a youma, this might explain Priscilla's extreme strength.

2. Neither recognizes the other. The might have been separated a while ago, and neither had seen the other with silver hair/eyes? It's possible that P. only recognized T. after she'd killed her, and this is what caused her to lose her memory.

3. Priscilla says that her father ate her mother. (c23 p12) Maybe that was an adoptive/step family?

Edited by accipiter, 11 November 2012 - 11:07 AM.

Erana's Peace

Erana's Peace

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationEurope
It's an interesting theory indeed, I'm especially curious about points nr. 4, 5 and 6 that you brought out. The thing is... I just forgot so many about what has happened in Claymore, I found it more difficult to follow once I was up-to-date with the newest chapters and had to start waiting a full month before a new chapter would be released D: Think I need to reread this series too.. Didn't even remember why Priscilla followed Raki around, so it was because he had Claire's smell on him huh... And why was she interested in Claire (or Theresa)? She had already accomplished her assignment by killing Theresa... ack so many blanks in my memory >.<
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra

Osiccor

Osiccor

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 387 posts
I doubt it. Teresa would have realized who Pricilla is when she meet her and ave some kind of reaction.
Also I don't think that Pricilla and Teresa's relationship matter anyways, it doesn't contribute to the story so why would the author put in something like that?

Who is the most popular season 2 ToG character? Cast your vote for your favourite character here.

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

Impossible, Claymores are trained from an early age, there's just no way for Priscilla to be Theresa's child. Theresa followed all her orders to the book until she met Claire, Claire was the one who changed that, which makes that Mother Daughter theory invalid, in this case.

Edited by Bloody Sorcerer, 04 November 2013 - 02:14 PM.

prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTiensha

Impossible, Claymores are trained from an early age, there's just no way for Priscilla to be Theresa's child. Theresa followed all her orders to the book until she met Claire, Claire was the one who changed that, which makes that Mother Daughter theory invalid, in this case.

agreed.. but if you say they're from same family lineage maybe.. like aunt and nephew.. or sister..