Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Bad tags

Gender Bender Yoai Yuri

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Zubzim

Zubzim

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOl' Blighty
This manga is a great deal many things but one thing it is not is yuri nor is it yoai although it contains elements of both. To tag it so would be to tarnish the major gender bender theme that runs through nyotai-ka.

Shadow12000

Shadow12000

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
Although I agree that there's no real Yaoi even though he's just a guy turned into a girl, there is definitely more than one scene with him as a girl with another girl. In most cases it's more of "despite him being a girl" but it is still 2 girls. This is still Yuri.

Delcatsifron

Delcatsifron

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
Normally when I come across a manga tagged Yuri + Romance. I expect the manga to be about the love between female only couples, usually involving the MC.
When the Gender Bender tag is also attached I expect that at least one of the main love interests is a trap, or the MC is a male who either cross dresses or possesses some means of transforming into a girl, and hence forth forms intimate relationships with girls.
Almost all mangas with a gender bent MC will at least brush over the topic of same sex intimacy. So in-part I agree that the yuri tag is not necessary, but still it at least defines the kind of relationship one is likely to see.
Since, generally the Yuri/Yaoi tags have a more sexual context when compared to shounen ai or shoujo ai tags. One could argue that it is descriptive of the level of intimacy in the relationships.

Given that the synopsis below the tags states the MC is an adult male, who transforms into a girl at the start and spends the rest of the manga trying to transform back.
Tags seem appropriate in this case, but often on Batoto you'll find tags added to manga where only 1 chapter out of 60 'contain' the tagged element.
This annoys some people because it misrepresents the themes of the manga.
Because all members can edit tags on Batoto, there is no distinction between mangas that contain an element and mangas in which the element is a theme.
This is not necessarily a bad thing though.

Ecchi, Smut, Tragedy, Gender Bender, Yaoi and Shounen Ai, are sometimes used similarly to a warning label.
Where as tags such as; Sports, Supernatural, Fantasy, Sci-fi etc. are generally treated as themes.
Tags such as Historical, School Life or Adventure typically describe the setting of a manga.
Whilst tags like Josei, Shounen and Shoujo etc, describe the target audience.

Whilst not it's literal definition, the Harem tag seems to be applied to almost any manga where 3 or more characters are love interests that are sexually/romantically attracted to the MC at the same period of time. In which they are either in competition for the MC's exclusive love, or function as a group sharing their love of the MC.

The Yuri and Yaoi tags tend to be used in a physical sense where Gender Bender tags are concerned.
Yaoi + Gender Bender, would lead you to picture 2 male bodies for example. Possibly containing a trap as the main love interest.
Although some readers harbor an aversion to a manga containing a relationship where one or both bodies are female if the participants are 2 male consciousnesses.
This is still less common than an aversion to 2 male appendages in the relationship.

Edited by Delcatsifron, 12 January 2013 - 12:25 AM.