Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The Anime

what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts
well the anime started this week, i just wanted to get some other opinions about it or at least start a discussion thread.

oliverwashere

oliverwashere

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Locationthe chasm of sleep
Elizabeth's voice made me mad at Alibaba for wanting another girl.

sibkid

sibkid

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
Man, the anime is really something. but pay some special attention to when they go into the labyrinth- the animation is shows a large foreshadowing if you've read the latest chapter (146). and have good intuition.

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

Elizabeth's voice made me mad at Alibaba for wanting another girl.

LOL after you see her i don't blame him at all the poor guy

jaykie13

jaykie13

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
it's fine i guess, i just wished that alladin's voice would sound more like a mischievous boy than a teenage girl, it's kinda hard to laugh at him when he chases boobs cause of his voice it doesn't sound convincing enough to be a boy chasing boobs, you know just saying
\m/

dragonscape2

dragonscape2

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Kinda upsetting that they rearranged parts of the story and added stuff in that wasn't there

Rou

Rou

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 5 posts
The anime was great, the graphics were really good but my image of the labyrinth was that of a flashier and brighter nicer looking place than a dark cave or smth. I'm kinda fine with them rearranging some parts since y'know, since the first chapter was kinda like a one-shot kind of a thing.

GooglyElmo

GooglyElmo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

The anime changed a few stuff in there, and I also thought that it would end in just 25 episodes but I was wrong! they're gonna continue it with another season starting at the Magnostadt I believe?

TitanAnteus

TitanAnteus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

Magi was a dangerous pick for A-1 pictures as an anime.  A-1 has good tastes and they actually wanted to do an action-anime for once so they decided to go with Magi, however; A-1's been successful recently and kind of full of themselves.  Also the author for Magi really didn't stand up for her intellectual property.  I could tell something was up as soon as I saw the character illustrations.

Basically A-1 said I like your character designs and basic premise.  We'll do an anime as long as you let us focus on the aspects we like and know will sell.
First, Alibaba seems more main character material (mistake 1)
Second, We only have 25 episodes and we don't have enough faith in ourselves to land a second season so we'll be rushing things a bit at first (mistake 2)
Third, There's not enough romance here, make it more obvious, and we need a bit more fanservice... (STOP PLEASE STOP.... MISTAKE INFINITY)

This is what the author should've said: Ahem
Personally, aladdin makes more sense as the main character since the overall setting establishes the fact that the problems that will be raised will mostly economic and social.  Aladdin as the Magi makes the most sense to deal with these problems.
I don't care how many episodes you have.  I focused all my effort and skill drawing things in this order for a reason, and the sales I've made are a testament to that. Have more faith in me and in Magi.
???? It's there.  You know some people like slow progression and it makes the intimacy stronger and more worthwhile.  That's why some shounen manga have stumbled onto some really good romantic subplots without realizing it. They didn't focus on it and it just happened.  I did my best to make my characters cute and communicate. Pushing fanservice might actually weaken this element.

END

I like anime.... I really do, but I can't recommend so many of the shows I like because people would have to get past the fanservice to get to the deep subplot, romance, adventure... argh.  I'm just whining now, ignore me as I lament over how 90% of shows now have to have panty shots...

Posted Image
If you've liked anything I've posted then please play my games.

Faceless, Nameless, Yukiwo

Shikots

Shikots

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Magi was a dangerous pick for A-1 pictures as an anime.  A-1 has good tastes and they actually wanted to do an action-anime for once so they decided to go with Magi, however; A-1's been successful recently and kind of full of themselves.  Also the author for Magi really didn't stand up for her intellectual property.  I could tell something was up as soon as I saw the character illustrations.

Basically A-1 said I like your character designs and basic premise.  We'll do an anime as long as you let us focus on the aspects we like and know will sell.
First, Alibaba seems more main character material (mistake 1)
Second, We only have 25 episodes and we don't have enough faith in ourselves to land a second season so we'll be rushing things a bit at first (mistake 2)
Third, There's not enough romance here, make it more obvious, and we need a bit more fanservice... (STOP PLEASE STOP.... MISTAKE INFINITY)

This is what the author should've said: Ahem
Personally, aladdin makes more sense as the main character since the overall setting establishes the fact that the problems that will be raised will mostly economic and social.  Aladdin as the Magi makes the most sense to deal with these problems.
I don't care how many episodes you have.  I focused all my effort and skill drawing things in this order for a reason, and the sales I've made are a testament to that. Have more faith in me and in Magi.
???? It's there.  You know some people like slow progression and it makes the intimacy stronger and more worthwhile.  That's why some shounen manga have stumbled onto some really good romantic subplots without realizing it. They didn't focus on it and it just happened.  I did my best to make my characters cute and communicate. Pushing fanservice might actually weaken this element.

END

I like anime.... I really do, but I can't recommend so many of the shows I like because people would have to get past the fanservice to get to the deep subplot, romance, adventure... argh.  I'm just whining now, ignore me as I lament over how 90% of shows now have to have panty shots...

I feel you , every god damn anime now comes with freaking fan service it's rare to actually find some with decent plot and characters . 

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

I don't watch animes but I tried to check out Magi anime and within 1 minute I got annoyed.  They made Alladin's voice that of a girl's.  That is the most stupidest thing.  I just turned it off right away.  That just ruins the whole thing.

Waspscreama

Waspscreama

Potato Spud

• Rocking Horse Scans
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUSA

I don't watch animes but I tried to check out Magi anime and within 1 minute I got annoyed.  They made Alladin's voice that of a girl's.  That is the most stupidest thing.  I just turned it off right away.  That just ruins the whole thing.

You realize that makes no sense whatsoever right? I mean Aladdin is like an 8-year old boy. Young boys, often even teenage boys, typically are voiced by female voice actors in anime. It would sound bizarre to have a grown man's deep voice coming out of a child's body. A lot of boys are even sopranos, and their voice doesn't change and become distinct from a woman's until they're in their teens.

In other words, they have every logical reason to have Aladdin voice by a woman, and no good reasons, only "stupid" ones to have him voiced by a man.

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

You realize that makes no sense whatsoever right? I mean Aladdin is like an 8-year old boy. Young boys, often even teenage boys, typically are voiced by female voice actors in anime. It would sound bizarre to have a grown man's deep voice coming out of a child's body. A lot of boys are even sopranos, and their voice doesn't change and become distinct from a woman's until they're in their teens.

In other words, they have every logical reason to have Aladdin voice by a woman, and no good reasons, only "stupid" ones to have him voiced by a man.

First Alladin was 10 when the series started and I don't expect his voice to be that of a grown up male, but make it sound like a 10 year old boy instead of a girl.  The voice sounds exactly like a girl's.  It doesn't sound like a boy at all.  One perfect example Konohamaru from Naruto sounds like a boy even though he is like 9 year old, while Alladin's voice sounds like a girl.

dred05

dred05

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

How popular is Magi in Japan? I hope there's a room for season 3. Though there's not enough source material as of now.

Also, Magi's animation is consistently amazing especially on the fight scenes. Though I see the slight decline on episode 21-23

2jalwye.gif

"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name

Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame"

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

How popular is Magi in Japan? I hope there's a room for season 3. Though there's not enough source material as of now.

Also, Magi's animation is consistently amazing especially on the fight scenes. Though I see the slight decline on episode 21-23

Magi is very popular in Japan, at least the manga is.  In 2013 it was #4 in sales in Japan, which was higher then Naruto.  Only mangas that beat Magi in sales were One Piece, Attack on Titan and Kuroko no Basuke.

lysander478

lysander478

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts

Yeah, it even has a bi-weekly spin-off series that I believe is also getting some form of animation despite only having around 40 chapters worth of a normal manga, in terms of pages. Ranking it against weekly shounen jump titles like one piece it'll lose out for sure, but for the magazine it's in (same magazine that Samurai Deeper Kyo was in, Code Breaker more recently, Groove Adventure, Fairy Tail, etc.) it's popular and the anime only increased its popularity and the sales of the collected volumes, as anime adaptations are designed to do.

Think they'll be using the spin-off to keep the anime popularity going until the main manga reaches a point where they can make another 25 episode run. That said, I'd probably watch a filler arc that just showed more Alibaba training and Aladdin magic school scenes, if done right. Was pretty disappointed when the manga just one-paneled his Coliseum fight with Mu Alexius. While understandable given the circumstances at the time/keeping the plot flowing I'd really like to see that in a flashback later or something. Almost expected the anime to be budgeted to show that and then OVA the final battle scenes with all the extreme magic animations, but they must've had quite the budget/cut what corners they could in the episodes just before.