Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Shin Megami Tensei anyone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

ColorlessDecember

ColorlessDecember

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
I've been loving this franchise for a while now and I've realized that not very many people know about or play SMT games (especially the less popular ones like Nocturne and DDS 1 and 2). Is there anyone here that know about this awesome series and if so, what are your thoughts? (Favorite game, comments, blah, blah)

greenguy

greenguy

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,019 posts
  • LocationArts Precinct
persona included? if so, persona 4!

my second fav is devil survivor (if i'm not wrong) the ds version one! alternate ending is just cool! the ps2 one ain't bad either with the better effect and real time action when in combat!
i just love games with custom-able allies! xD

played some other SMT games, but failed to play it til the end cause of boredom.. ;A;

ColorlessDecember

ColorlessDecember

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
I tried to play the Devil Survivor games but I couldn't stomach it. To me, the style was very typical anime-ish and didn't tie in well with the rest of the franchise. And the subpar music was disappointing as well.

But yeah, I agree with you on the last sentence. Even though Megaten games are really intriguing, the final dungeons part are quite long and tedious (I'm looking at you, Tower of Kagutsuchi.) And also, what's up with the tower motif?!

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
Love me some SMT.

The main series, especially Lucifer's Call. Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Devil Survivor. Love them all.

Have to agree that Survivor wasn't up to par with the rest in terms of the SMT feel and quality, but on its own, it didn't seem that bad. I still enjoyed.

Anyone else excited for the new entry in the main franchise?

sig-1.png

bushwhacker2k

bushwhacker2k

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA
I don't have much experience myself (I played a little Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Imagine(the MMO)) but my brother and his friends really like Persona 4.

"This statement is not true."

Orcraniil

Orcraniil

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 368 posts
I'm a huge persona fan, but haven't really had the chance to try out any other SMT games, though I would really like to give them a try. I think the only SMT game I have played beyond persona was Devil Survivor. It was alright, but I just couldn't get into it. As far as Persona goes, I played a tiny bit of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, and I own Persona 3 Portable, but have yet to actually finish it.

tumblr_n8afhdCGiX1sg8zvco1_500.gif

Spoiler

Seiji

Seiji

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
I'm one of those suckers who's only played Persona 3, heh... the story made me pretty sad.

Though I've also played the Imagine MMO, it doesn't really count. I got bored of it quickly anyway.

ColorlessDecember

ColorlessDecember

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
@Seiji : if persona 3's story made you sad, you'll probably be bawling by the end of dds 2 ^.^

But yeah I'm really excited for smtiv. By the looks of the trailer, it seems like they will go back to the classic computer system thing to summon demons. The protagonist looks good, but i'm gonna miss demi fiend's badass glowing tattoos.

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

i'm gonna miss demi fiend's badass glowing tattoos.

Same here! Hito-shura's definitely my favourite protagonist in the main series. And his secret boss appearance in DDS was ridiculously hard!

sig-1.png

ColorlessDecember

ColorlessDecember

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
Also, anyone heard about the remake for Soul Hackers? I myself never played the Devil Summoner games, are they essentially the same as the main series?

greenguy

greenguy

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,019 posts
  • LocationArts Precinct
imagine mmo.. quite good at first.. got bored too fast as well ._.

really? you haven't!? it's a real time battle rpg with 2 monster accompanying you! soooo kewl *O*

you shud like it since it's non-anime like. (i actually liked devil survivor because of anime-like style xD)

what is the main series? persona D:

ColorlessDecember

ColorlessDecember

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
The main series includes the original shin megami tensei game (yes, that's the name of the game), and the four games that are considered in the same series, , SMTII, SMT: Nocturne, SMT: If..., SMT: Strange Journey, and the new SMTIV that is coming out in 2013.

Other series like Persona, Devil Summoner, DDS, Devil Survivor, (did i miss anything?) are spin-offs. And for Persona and Devil Survivor, they are very very loosely related to the main SMT games and are considered to be in a series called Megami Ibunroku (literally Alternate Tale of the Goddess). The only reason that those games have the SMT title slapped onto them is because of marketing reasons in the USA (and Europe too?).

I hope that cleared things up for you.

ryukoutsei

ryukoutsei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
I think i remember a few weeks playing Nocturn/ lucifers call. Kinda got hooked on demon getting. The fusion chart was ............ huge, Like REALLY huge.

Was a good game, very slow though. took about an hour to get anywhere, he was half demon and didnt know how to actually run. Liked the floor systems though, and dante turning up out of nowhere.

Posted Image

SHIJYUYO-DUCK

SHIJYUYO-DUCK

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Locationon the head of a random person
i own persona 3 portable and enjoyed the heck out of it, never tried the other smt games yet but will one day when ican find it.

QUACK QUACK QUACK 
SA,JIGOKU NO TAMESHIMINA.
In the morning light let my roots take flight

Watch me from above like a vicious dove
They don't see me come, who can blame them?
They never seem to catch my eye but I never wondered why
garokill.gif

Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationDeep Sea

i own persona 3 portable and enjoyed the heck out of it, never tried the other smt games yet but will one day when ican find it.

try persona 4 the golden... if you enjoyed persona 3, the you will likely to enjoy this one too...

hmm, i've played nocturne, dds1, dds2, devil summoner:kuzunoha raidou, persona 3, persona 4, devil survivor1
the only one i've played till the end is dds1 :(
loved dds franchise... :lol: and persona too, but i haven't tried persona 1 and 2...

shard2323

shard2323

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationThe Wired
I've invested over a hundred hours into Persona 3: FES. A decent 75 hours into Persona 4. Never played the main series, but it appeals to me heavily--more so considering the philosophy and biblical references rife in the story, from Yahweh to Lucifer.

kelte

kelte

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Oh yes. The first SMT game I played was Persona 3. I had Persona 4, Nocturne, and I have Persona 3 Portable. I plan on buying more in the series. I will always have Reach out to the Truth on loop in my head. XD

Katzilla

Katzilla

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,097 posts
I'm playing Strange Journey right now.

I'm actually not a big fan of first-person RPGs...in fact, you could say I hated them. Strange Journey changed my opinion for them though. It's really challenging sometimes, but 'm loving it.

sig-1.png

Rebel Bonhart

Rebel Bonhart

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,444 posts
Persona 3 for psp helped me get through boring lessons :D

Edited by bonhart, 16 February 2013 - 10:47 PM.

5B4rd3Q.gif

Uke

Uke

Potato

• tC Donator
  • 103 posts
Everything in SMT is amazing except for the MMO XD
Posted Image