Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Chances of anime for korean webtoons? (in general)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

gus

gus

Couch Potato

• tC Donator
  • 2,335 posts

How so?

let see how should i put this SIU or Naver might take legal action and ask us to take TOG off the Batoto site

m5siUe7.jpg?1

God of LoL

God of LoL

Sweet Potato

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • LocationIn the Bato.cave.

let see how should i put this SIU or Naver might take legal action and ask us to take TOG off the Batoto site

And then we will have it on TV.
Hmm...Allow me to way down my choices...A TV show or a webcomic...
...I can't freaking decide. :mellow:

kfi6l.jpg

AshokaTheGreat

AshokaTheGreat

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • LocationThe internet. Actually, no, I'm a bunch of letters on your screen that may or may not originate from a person who acts a little different when talking to you face to face. Can be found at the D2 Brigade, MAL, on twitter and on tvTropes (mainly the ToG page).
Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop didn't get ruined by getting popular.
Counter examples exist. Don't lose hope and don't be a dick, that is how a fandom can be saved.

God of LoL

God of LoL

Sweet Potato

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • LocationIn the Bato.cave.

Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop didn't get ruined by getting popular.
Counter examples exist. Don't lose hope and don't be a dick, that is how a fandom can be saved.

Hey, I'm not Enryu! :mad:

kfi6l.jpg

flowsthead

flowsthead

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Well Cowboy Bebop existed as anime before manga, and Ghost in the Shell would be different since the manga wasn't running concurrently with any of the anime adaptations. FMA is a good example though. In general, it doesn't seem like many manga authors change their style or their stories based on popularity. It's not like American TV where ratings can affect how daring the show becomes if it gets another season.
The face of the angel of history is turned toward the past. Where we perceived a chain of events, he sees a single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. This storm irresistably propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. The storm is what we call progress.
~Walter Benjamin

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts
I'd want movies, not episodes.

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

naphack

naphack

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • LocationIn the Black Forest, Germany
I don't want a ToG anime!
Anime adaptions suck!
Well, there is Elfen Lied...
And Higurashi no Naku Koro ni...
But even in their case its more like the original work was legendary, so even while being downgraded, it was still pretty awesome. Elfen Lied Anime simply can't touch the Manga in any way. Waaaay inferior... What makes these anime great is the music tho.
I mean, Elfen Lied has Lilium, which is simply awesome and Higurashi has a ton of nice pieces left and right.
Can you imagine any music for ToG? To catch the atmoshpere in the Webtoon? I just can't, no matter, how hard I try.

Edited by naphack, 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM.

US RANDOM LEECHERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN!

You don't scanlate, you don't complain, as simple as that.

Euodiachloris

Euodiachloris

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 7,336 posts
  • LocationUK

Can you imagine any music for ToG? To catch the atmoshpere in the Webtoon? I just can't, no matter, how hard I try.

I can. :) There are some seriously good sound-tracks out there... The trick is... you'd have to start channelling Ghibli at it's best for ToG. It's doable. :)

PlotCap.png

~:Euo will do instead of my whole handle:~

Scanlation-author collaboration not possible?  Nope: it's doable... try Trace and vote with your feet to try to get more like this.

Murkel

Murkel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 401 posts

Anime adaptions suck!
But even in their case its more like the original work was legendary, so even while being downgraded, it was still pretty awesome. Elfen Lied Anime simply can't touch the Manga in any way. Waaaay inferior... What makes these anime great is the music tho.
I mean, Elfen Lied has Lilium, which is simply awesome and Higurashi has a ton of nice pieces left and right.

There are plenty of good adaptations out there (as well as adaptations which surpass the original). It all depends on the staff and studio behind them. If a japanese studio wanted to adapt ToG (chanches of which are pretty much zero) then I think they'd be willing to put the effort needed to do the webcomic justice.

I woulnd't worry about the soundtrack either. A competent composer would do just fine.

Passerby

Passerby

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts
It's not the lack of expertise in Korea that prevents these webtoons and manhwas from turning into animes - plenty of Korean studios are hired by American and Japanese firms to take part in production of their animes/cartoons. One of prominent figures in Japan's anime industry even commented recently that if the relations between Korea and Japan turned so sour that all economic activities between the two countries ceased (pretty much impossible, but hypothetically speaking here), then there would be no anime produced in Japan for quite a while, such is the reliance on Korean cells and studios. It's not to say that Korea has a huge pool of animator talents, just that enough human resources are there waiting to be utilised by Korea's native anime industry - and here's the catch; Koreans don't take manhwas, printed or animated, seriously.

There's a couple of strong prejudices against this type of medium in Korea - one is that they are thought to be too juvenile, i.e. "Manhwas are for kids!", to be considered as a serious money maker, and the other being that it's a possibly harmful (violent & sexual contents) source of distraction for growing children that has a negative impact on their academic achievements. Currently, cartoons produced in Korea are 99% kid contents, all cute and happy and edifying blah blah. Until such prejudices go away or at least are toned down enough for large investors to take note of manhwas and start thinking about commercial viability of the industry, you won't see quality manhwas & webtoons turned into animated forms any time soon.

Edited by Passerby, 07 September 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!
The question is always money -- return on investment. ^^

As it stands, the Korean entertainment industry isn't very willing to spend a lot of money in animated comics. Almost all of the Korean label animations have been a poor performer. The first good performer to appear is Pororo, but that's targeted at children and actually, initially a joint project with North Korea (quite amazing how they manage to land that back then. Though, relationships are very sour right now). It makes quite a bit of money and even has international exports. For Korea to compete with Japanese produced anime, they'd have to throw in a similar amount of budget, a risk they're likely not going to take.

There's actually no shortage of skill in Korea. Lot of animations all over the world actually hire Korean artists to draw them, including titles like Simpsons and even some japanese animes (korean are more affordable than japanese in general). But, like I said, no one is going to invest at this time for a korean animation. To make a korean comic into a blockbuster animation, they'll likely have to seek japanese companies for them. But titles like ToG is already locked with Naver, though where they'll take the title to is unknown.

The budget difference is also largely fault of the host country's culture. Lots of korean watch tv shows (k-drama), kind rating which american tv shows can only dream about. But not a lot of koreans watch animations, and are often restricted to younger audiences. In Japan, lot of people watch anime, even more aged population.

Demographics -> calculate potential earnings -> adjust budget based on that -> realize korean animation isn't going to happen.

The mirror image of animation industry of Japan vs Korea is actually the drama. K-drama are so much higher budget, gets somewhat easy international sales due to already spread popularity. J-drama are lower budget and usually unable to turn a good profit margin like the Korean counter part.

Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationFormer Tenochtitlan

Anime adaptions suck!

I absolutely love Lilium. One of my favorite songs. Cowboy Bebop Soundtrack is reaaallyyy amazing too. All the chapter titles are famous songs.

Hwa_Ryun_showing_both_eyes.png

Mr.Walrus

Mr.Walrus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the woods.
I would like to see an animated version of ToG but after reading this thred you sure shoot my hopes... with a gatling.
“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
“I'll take crazy over stupid any day.”
“One person's craziness is another person's reality.”

"If you think that one person deserves salvation, while another person hell, then you understand neither God, generosity, forgives, or salvation."

I cant guarantee that im sane, but since when was sanity fun?

Skyrunner

Skyrunner

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 259 posts
Grumpy said it well, I suppose. o_O

I still hold on to the idea that Japan's market is preventing Korea from making its own anime, and also robbing it of expertise in areas like voice acting, which aren't usually outsourced :P Sure, much coloring is done in Korea, but I don't think that's also the case with drawing.

In fact, the "golden age" of Korean anime is usually said to be the 90s, with famous ones that are a part of Korean culture like "A Long Long Time Ago", or the "Baby Dinosaur Duli". In recent times, all animations that are notable are made in 3D, such as Pororo.

However, even in that golden age, there weren't any cinematic works like ToG is panning out to be.

AshokaTheGreat

AshokaTheGreat

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • LocationThe internet. Actually, no, I'm a bunch of letters on your screen that may or may not originate from a person who acts a little different when talking to you face to face. Can be found at the D2 Brigade, MAL, on twitter and on tvTropes (mainly the ToG page).
Regarding music and tower of god, I always thought a vast arrangement of drums would be awesome.

Nihil X

Nihil X

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
If ever a webtoon becomes an anime, probably would look like this.

LaFa

LaFa

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationUnited States
More like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xcy3VCWkS4

bismuth

bismuth

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationTyria
Personally, i think it's more likely japan will find this interesting and decide to make into an anime, and if naver did make anime, they wouldn't be called anime, probably something else.
"It matters not how strait the gate
how charged with punishment the scroll
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul"
William Ernest Henley, Invictus

"All know the way, few actually walk it," Bodidharma: The road to freedom

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Personally, i think it's more likely japan will find this interesting and decide to make into an anime, and if naver did make anime, they wouldn't be called anime, probably something else.

Well, there is ONE instance of Webtoon getting selected by a Japanese anime studio. (Daum webtoon Treasure Hunter was selected by Madhouse to be one of their movie project.) But it was really unexpected and everyone was shocked about it.

Nero

Nero

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 304 posts
Chances are so low that I think fans should attempt to draw/animate scenes from ToG if they ever would want to see anything in the form of an animated ToG ;/

This is an example of fan-animation:

http://youtu.be/SwaOXTaE-dg

Edited by Nero, 26 December 2012 - 12:44 AM.