Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What went wrong

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kreian

Kreian

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
why did this manga that seem to have potential just didn't make it?

Edited by Darachu, 30 August 2012 - 06:42 PM.

tumblr_m792o1vknh1qj0scwo6_250.gif

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
..........this is Weekly Shonen Jump, and they need to keep a certain number of series in the magazine that contribute to increasing their readership (along with tankobon sales, adaption to anime, etc.) Throughout Jump's 40+ years of publishing battle manga, do you seriously think Sensei no Bulge reaches the level it needs to be a successful series? There's a reason it's canceled and that's because it was one of the series that got the least votes on the questionnaire, and I'm guessing the reason that happened is that it sucks in comparison to the other series in the magazine. I mean personally I didn't hate it but it's just not very good. WSJ is the most circulated manga magazine and they have to be strict. I do agree that in the past that Jump unfortunately canceled a lot of good series because not enough fans supported the series but these days..... Jump's quality is going really downhill.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

shonryukku

shonryukku

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Locationnyc
i hate to say it but while it was a good concept it was a simple one kind of predictable i'm sure it has been done before in some form, if the plot is that simple a manga needs superb art or superb storytelling to really have longeviteiy this didn't have any of that nor did it really bring anything realitivly new to the table that said the way the mangaka ended the series it can always be picked up again prehaps in a next magazine

Edited by shonryukku, 09 September 2012 - 03:46 PM.

The mark of greatness is when everything before you is obsolete and everything after you bears your mark
Posted Image

Ehlly

Ehlly

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBrazil
Whenever the topic of "why was X canceled" comes up, I can never get over the fact that Katekyo Hitman Reborn survived this long (don't get me wrong, I really enjoy and follow the series, but the beginning WAS undoubtedly terrible and it should never had hold out that long if it depended on the first chapters).

On this topic, I don't see how this manga was inferior to Magico, that recently went all the way through without being cancelled. The artwork in this one is way better to me (and obviously not the problem, since the author has been serialized in Jump successfully before), and the level of storytelling, general simpleness of the plot and amount of cliche is about the same.
I'll just assume Magico was lucky enough to compete with less popular works, since it is about popularity and not quality.

Masked De Masque of Maske

Masked De Masque of Maske

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
You need to keep in mind that shounen jump manga rely on being as similar to eachother as possible and keeping very close to the same formula which is to be used in each story ^^;

Like how initially Katekyo Hitman Reborn was a gag series but the author changed it to a very generic action manga to avoid cancelation.
Being a good concept is pointless unless your setting is based on the real world (like bleach, toriko, hunter x hunter and so on) and while novel concepts are accepted they are only allowed if your manga conforms to the shounen genre thoroughly. (like how bleach had a spirit detective thing going and then switched style to progressive power ups and one on one fights)

So if its any consolation it was probably either this or the author killing his story entirly and turning it into a generic fighting manga where plot and characterization take a back seat for one on one fights that take dozens of chapters to complete. ^^;

Shoneen jumps not exactly the magazine for good storylines. Its specifically a fight heavy series that needs a very specific approach (artistic ability has nothing to do with it as hunterxhunter can attest XD )
Honestly, its kinda the authors fault for if he wanted to try something so daring he would have had better luck trying to get it made into a monthly series. Given examples like soul eater, pandora hearts, full metal alchemist and D.Gray Man, The series would have had a much higher life expectancy. ^_^;