Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Isn't it better to be smaller sometimes?

manga

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

dinoclops

dinoclops

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
I recently read Susume's Heartbreak, an endearing manga with only three chapters. Some people tend to shy away from short ones because there "isn't enough to it." I personally think sometimes it's better to have a short, well-done story than a drawn out one. What do you guys think?

Edited by dinoclops, 26 August 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Angelo.

Angelo.

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • Locationsleeping on a cloud
short stories are great if it gives you some moral lesson at the end or a message dunno but long stories are never ending and we just hate wen it comes to an end,

Fangz

Fangz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEngland, Essex
Personally...It's not particularly the length that makes the Manga from my perspective but more if it's completed or not.

For example, Akumetsu is one of my all time favorites and I think the part that plays the most in my love for that manga is because it is finished. I love conclusions more then the story most of the time, which is why I don't play MMO's and hate most Animes that were adaptations.

It just comes down to a matter of taste, since there are people that don't like conclusions because a conclusion means an end.

<< Absolute Sword>>  Always standing before death, her reality differed from the rest of the world but her life weighed the same.

May the legend of the Absolute Sword be eternal, for the true beauty of life can only be seen by those that can see its end.

Sword.Art.Online.240.1189446.jpg

Maia

Maia

The Resident Neko

• RP Section Mod
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationLost in the Echo
So long as the plot stays good and doesn't go stale, I love longer mangas. Again, like the others, because it has no end. If its a romance, in a lot of ways it shows the good and the bad of what can happen, not just ending with happily ever after, because in reality, happily ever after does not exist. There never can be a happily ever after. If there is, then I have never seen it. Even in non romantical stories that have happily ever after still seem unrealistic.

cei7ea6l_zpsde6a65e1.png

Need staff help? You can go to Staff Support.
Need site help? You can go to Batoto Support.
You can use the Report button if you find anything that is in violation of the Site Rules.
If all else fails you can feel free to send me a PM.

dinoclops

dinoclops

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
Long one's that stay fresh are good in my opinion, but I'm sure most of us have run into the infamous "Tournament Arc."

Fangz

Fangz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEngland, Essex

So long as the plot stays good and doesn't go stale, I love longer mangas. Again, like the others, because it has no end. If its a romance, in a lot of ways it shows the good and the bad of what can happen, not just ending with happily ever after, because in reality, happily ever after does not exist. There never can be a happily ever after. If there is, then I have never seen it. Even in non romantical stories that have happily ever after still seem unrealistic.

It's sad that that is true, probably the biggest downfall to conclusions is a conclusion that's too optimistic/rushed...Another example here would honestly be Mirai Nikki, the ending was just beyond what should have happened, I loved the story but the conclusion was just a little too happy for everyone that took part in the game.

Edited by Fangz, 27 August 2012 - 12:19 AM.

<< Absolute Sword>>  Always standing before death, her reality differed from the rest of the world but her life weighed the same.

May the legend of the Absolute Sword be eternal, for the true beauty of life can only be seen by those that can see its end.

Maia

Maia

The Resident Neko

• RP Section Mod
  • 2,441 posts

It's sad that that is true, probably the biggest downfall to conclusions is a conclusion that's too optimistic/rushed...Another example here would honestly be Mirai Nikki, the ending was just beyond what should have happened, I loved the story but the conclusion was just a little too happy for everyone that took part in the game.

I honestly can't say that I disagree with that. Its sad, because a lot of times, happily ever after endings really make me angry sometimes. It makes me wonder why real life can't be that way. It would make things a lot better, and there could possibly be a whole hell of a lot less pain and suffering in the world. But eh, such is life, right?

cei7ea6l_zpsde6a65e1.png

You can use the Report button if you find anything that is in violation of the Site Rules.

Fangz

Fangz

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEngland, Essex

I honestly can't say that I disagree with that. Its sad, because a lot of times, happily ever after endings really make me angry sometimes. It makes me wonder why real life can't be that way. It would make things a lot better, and there could possibly be a whole hell of a lot less pain and suffering in the world. But eh, such is life, right?

yeah, such is life indeed, still, life's the most valuable thing I own, even though it hurts to keep.

On that note, would we value happiness as much as we do now if there was near to no pains? Like, I'd love to be immortal but every story about an immortal in some way stresses the point of loneliness.

[ Just realized how deep the topic got D: ]

Edited by Fangz, 27 August 2012 - 12:42 AM.

Angelo.

Angelo.

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,488 posts
  • Locationsleeping on a cloud
dunno if happy ever after exist but i will try my best create my own and live a life of inseparable love, rich like the aroma of her smile which is that of a delicate flower, and value it.

everybody wishes to live forever but fortunately i think immortality is not for everybody, only those deemed worty of it and understand its consequences...

Edited by starboy, 27 August 2012 - 01:30 AM.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
It really depends. If the story has to end after only a few volumes then I'll be happy to read it as a "short masterpiece." But many manga are not like that, different series improve along the way as the author stretches the plot and you start to enjoy reading it a lot more at chapter 300 than at chapter 100. Also, a lot of good series that ended early just need to be longer! There's a difference between a perfect conclusion and a rushed ending.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Kreian

Kreian

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
if the plot is interesting i would say prolong it a bit

tumblr_m792o1vknh1qj0scwo6_250.gif

PhoenixAUS

PhoenixAUS

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationUnder a sakura tree with a blue sky and a cooling breeze, sleeping soundly
MxO probably got the worst conclusion
Spoiler

i was so pumped for a second season, but it never came. T_T
its like ending naruto in the two year time-skip.

Xagnam - My brother in KPOP

Maia

Maia

The Resident Neko

• RP Section Mod
  • 2,441 posts

yeah, such is life indeed, still, life's the most valuable thing I own, even though it hurts to keep.

On that note, would we value happiness as much as we do now if there was near to no pains? Like, I'd love to be immortal but every story about an immortal in some way stresses the point of loneliness.

[ Just realized how deep the topic got D: ]

Honestly, I don't think we would value it as much. Life is full of trials and tribulations, and thats one thing I like about long manga's is they show those trials, before and after the supposed happy ending. Hence, making it more realistic to some degree.

cei7ea6l_zpsde6a65e1.png

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!

Personally...It's not particularly the length that makes the Manga from my perspective but more if it's completed or not.

For example, Akumetsu is one of my all time favorites and I think the part that plays the most in my love for that manga is because it is finished. I love conclusions more then the story most of the time, which is why I don't play MMO's and hate most Animes that were adaptations.

It just comes down to a matter of taste, since there are people that don't like conclusions because a conclusion means an end.

Conclusions is always better then having axed ends. They have to make a good ending and not some rape kiss fall in love sh1t and they live happy after -.-

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

sharonz

sharonz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Hi, I enjoy the little story with manga!!

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
it depends on the type on manga. if its a shounen fighting manga like bleach, then its easy to go on and still be interesting.
if its a romance manga its different. lets take Good Ending as example, it should have ended a long time ago, I mean they are just going in circles. nothing is happening.

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.

if its a shounen fighting manga like bleach, then its easy to go on and still be interesting.

Somehow I really gotta disagree with that...

lets take Good Ending as example, it should have ended a long time ago, I mean they are just going in circles. nothing is happening.

Sounds like Bleach or Naruto to me.

UIqflpq.jpg

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

Somehow I really gotta disagree with that...
Sounds like Bleach or Naruto to me.

a lot of people just care for the fighting scene, look at beelzebub. when its a normal chapter the ratings are bad, when its a fighting chapter the rating goes up.
but you can´t do that with romance, in romance at some point the MC just has to get a girlfriend/boyfriend and then there isn´t a lot left to do.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away
an interesting plot and a good ending is what i want from a manga
doesn't matter how long or short it is. it can be only a few pages long, or hundreds of chapters, and i'll be happy as long as it's entertaining
あっ ちょっと死んじまった

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

MxO probably got the worst conclusion

Spoiler

i was so pumped for a second season, but it never came. T_T
its like ending naruto in the two year time-skip.

The real reason why Mx0's conclusion was a bad conclusion because it shouldn't have had a conclusion that early.....at all. One of the most disappointing axes I've seen. But if you look at it in an objectively, the author wrapped up in a very clean way.

a lot of people just care for the fighting scene, look at beelzebub. when its a normal chapter the ratings are bad, when its a fighting chapter the rating goes up.

No, it's quite well known that in fact Beelzebub's ratings on the magazine plummeted to the bottom 5 when it switched from comedy to mainly battles. That's why the author had to change his style back to the way it was after a long battle arc took place.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard