Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

About Hatori...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

sharks

sharks

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
Looking through the comments, I realized that I was interpreting this manga in a different way then some other people, especially regarding Hatori. I never even once thought of Hatori as the "rival" while I was reading the manga. I think rather, Hatori is a much more realistic and interesting character, one that combines the sweetness of shoujo with a modern, more realistic girl.

I love Hatori's character so much because I can feel glimpses of myself in her. She challenges the convention of standard shoujo main characters, while going through the same motions as them (insecure/lost in love), and even tries to reconcile those typical characteristics. She's a very modern girl, with a sense of individuality and pride. She's true to herself, but she also struggles to be a better person (a great example of this is when she's in the bathroom and she tries to hold back on talking bad about Adachi, but ends up saying it anyways). It's pretty meta in the way that she struggles with herself: she clearly knows what it takes to be a "main character", but she can't seem to be able to truthfully take on those qualities. It's almost like her character is the viewpoint of the reader (at least in my case, it seems this way) — she knows very well what a "main character" girl is like, and tries to become one, but the impossible nature of the shoujo heroine character archetype proves to be overwhelming. I enjoy reading shoujo manga, but usually the heroines are so unrealistically selfless, kind, humble, and courageous at the right times that most shoujo stories end up feeling more like fairy tales.

Hatori is a breath of fresh air. She manages to capture the frustration of an impossible expectation (the heroine's standard), but also follows the conditions of a shoujo heroine (because she is in love and mostly sticks to it through thick and thin, and also, almost satirically, is the actual main character of this series).

The story, in itself, is pretty much typical shoujo — I don't think that it's groundbreaking in any way, and it's a pretty standard set up with the childhood friend thing. But Hatori is what makes this manga a shoulder above heads. She questions the thoughts and logic of shoujo manga (ex. when Adachi was talking to her about how she was concerned for her, and that Kaki-P guy or whatever his name is tells her she's being hypocritical — talk about stealing the words right out of my mouth!), but she can't do anything about it because she knows that she doesn't measure up. Some people might be put off by her personality, but I enjoy it because its multi-faceted, she's often torn when it comes to decisions, and its that insecurity that makes her a limited, but a much more interesting character. The more and more I think about it, it just feels so much more like Heroine Shikkaku is about a real, normal girl dropped into a manga. Her character makes this manga feel more like an illustrated satirical novel, with all the references and the different points of view.

Sorry this was really long, but I really wanted to get this off my chest. I am totally in love with Hatori, and I really hope that her character will keep going strong as the story goes on. I'm also really interested in how this series ends! What do you guys think about Hatori's character?

Edited by sharks, 13 July 2012 - 04:30 AM.

ikel89

ikel89

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
I do agree with you - it is very meta (which is always a plus in my books), and Hatori's awareness of the genre gives the whole story a satirical look. I like that the mangaka manages both to troll the genre lovingly and at the same time deliver within the genre

Devil's Ivy

Devil's Ivy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
I love this manga! Really even though I always say "can't she just move on" or something in the comment. But if I put myself into her shoes, after all those years loving someone so much and some random person steps in how can I back down? I mean I definitely think my love for that person would absolutely overpower her. Lol but I never really love someone else that much except for my mom. :D

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
I like Hatori too, and I also don't see her as the rival, I see her as a girl who loves whole heartedly and unfortunately is attracted to a guy who does not deserve it and takes her friendship and affection for granted.

Edited by inzaratha, 19 September 2012 - 02:53 AM.

Misa

Misa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOtaku City.....where else? ^-^

yeah I totally agree. and I actually really hate Adachi I hate how unrealistic her character is. I dont think anyone is that nice or even sacrifices that much. I like Hatori so much more. I love how you can relate to her. and she can be a bitch sometimes but everyone can. and how Adachi CANT just annoys me because shes such a faker. I really hope she gets hurt in the end. and Rita. two word: JACKASS SCUMB <_<