Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are RPG games dying or getting better...

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

WolfFlow

WolfFlow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
I feel that rpg games are going down the drain there not that good as they were back in the golden days like snes, ps1, and ps2. It seems like now anything with a story and upgrading is consider a RPG like gay zelda and yes i hate Zelda i wish rpg games can do a big come back if some game company actually work there lazy asses off but what are the chances of that.Im still looking for more rpg games to beat cause im trying to make one my self...

RPG games im working on
super mario rpg
super paper mario world 1
ff9
tales of destiny
legend of dragoon
(MAYBE ff3 FREAKING HARD)
ff12
star ocean 2
xeno blade
xeno gear
(Last story when it comes out) in 2 days

Edited by WolfFlow, 08 July 2012 - 04:33 AM.

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail
With games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Diablo III, I don't see RPGs dying anytime soon. Well, western RPGs, at least. Then there's also the steady increase of MMORPGs, like The Secret World.

WolfFlow

WolfFlow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
There isnt that many rpg games like the 90's and early 2000's with a good story gameplay and such now its all about lv up and kill where is the difficulty in rpgs its just simple boost...

Prophet

Prophet

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCity of Doors
well i really liked the old classics..

Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate II and Throne of bhaal.
Fallout 1 and 2 (i hate fallout 3)
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment..
System Shock 2

yeah i think they are dying.. games in 90's are the best. i dont know what happened but nowadays game makers care more now about graphics than gameplay and story.

"Our pasts may be scattered and at times overshadowed by sadness, but they´re also an irrevocable part of our lives and personalities. Even if I could change a single thing, I wouldn´t, because my past was what led me here."

~You have sung to me in my aloneness, and I of your longings have built a tower in the sky.

-Almustafa, The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

WolfFlow

WolfFlow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts

well i really liked the old classics..

Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate II and Throne of bhaal.
Fallout 1 and 2 (i hate fallout 3)
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment..
System Shock 2

yeah i think they are dying.. games in 90's are the best. i dont know what happened but nowadays game makers care more now about graphics than gameplay and story.

WOW thoes are some heavy rpg games you picked out they seem really good il have to try them im watching some reviews and all of them ive heard are some of the best rpg games of all time

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail
20 years from now, children born in the 21st century will say the same thing about games from this decade.
We tend to view things we grew up with in high regard.

games in 90's are the best..

darkhunter

darkhunter

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • LocationDarkness World
well imo rpg games from the last years are going down, well the graphic part aside the story and immersion is 0
the companies that are making them just want to make a hybrid from the games so that they can sell them to most of teh gamers but in doing so they destroy this world
but the asian counterpart still stay to the core of teh rpg (be it eroge or not)
as for mmorpg ... atm mostly all suck in a way or another starting from any mmo to swtor and secret world
i played them all so i know ...
we need a revolution in this genre but it will die because now 99% of companies only focus on fast revenue from games that will be forgotten easy

Broken Identity
"People say I'm a freak, dark, weird, sick and twisted person, but I actually have the heart of a young girl ... in a jar, on my desk ..."
There is only one God ... and his name is Death.

King of Laziness

Suffering from: Procrastination Extraordinarius

WolfFlow

WolfFlow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
western rpg games are dead eastern are dying i see from the new rpg games there coming out are similar to western but not all but most...there are a few games that keep the RPG games alive like xenoblade ive loved it i just wished it was longer but there is a part two so that takes up for the shortness

MezzoParody

MezzoParody

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts
Western RPGs are doing fine. We've got stuff like Elder Scrolls, the Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or even Fable. It's not the biggest genre, so of course we don't see as many new ones as we see shooters, but they're doing just fine.

I've never thought much of Eastern RPGs though. Some of them are a ton of fun, sure, but they don't feel anything like role-playing games. Final Fantasy games are just elaborate stories that let you tinker with combat. Zelda games can't even be considered RPGs. Maybe the first one, because it was open-world and that was a big deal back then. And maaaybe Wind Waker, because it's also got a pretty open world too. But Skyward Sword? Hah. No. So I'm clueless as to what one might consider "dying" for JRPGs.

It seems like now anything with a story and upgrading is consider a RPG like gay zelda

There's a game where Princess Zelda is a lesbian? Wow, I must've missed that one.

WolfFlow

WolfFlow

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
Well rpg games are dying out slowly im not saying they should be selling rpg games like shooters now a days it all about shooting, multiplayer, and adventure... if you think about it or play a recent rpg you have ask your self this is the story long enough is 25 hours of story long enough snes rpg games are like 50+ just plain out story no side quest now it all about sidequest the stories aren't deep enough they say this in G4, informer, and other sites rpg are short with the same plot differnt story their dying very very slowly...

• Guests
Wait, isn't this thread supposed to be in the "Entertainment District->Games" Section?
Since the topic is about RPG Video Games sooo...
Just a thought... ^_^

What's an RPG game? That is according to your definition...
Maybe my opinion of games which are included as RPG games are different from yours...

Are games such as Bioshock, Metro 2033, Singularity, Hitman included?

Edited by Ashax, 09 July 2012 - 12:44 PM.

n/aㅤㅤ

n/aㅤㅤ

Potato

• Members
  • 157 posts
Games are becoming much longer, with much deeper stories~
Since technology's improved, better graphics and larger-scale worlds can be created to create a world you can immerse yourself fully in~
=^^=

Now you can spend hundreds of hours on immensely detailed RPGs like Dragon Age or Assassin's Creed etc.~
=^^=

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts
has anyone here played kingdoms of amalur? its definitely one of my favorites along with dragon age for western rpgs.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront
I'm not really into RPGs, since I missed out on some classics and don't really want to play them, but I did play Mass Effect series (except I refused to play the part when god-child appears), Dragon Age, and Fallout 3 + New Vegas.
Dark Souls was released for PC, so I played that, and loved it.
RPGs aren't dying, there are great RPG and JRPG titles out there, and are still being released :)

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Gilver

Gilver

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMt.Everest
Depends on what RPGs we're talking about. Good quality Japanese RPGs are declining and Western RPGs is taking the top. We can't deny that.

sigpic578_26.gif

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

Depends on what RPGs we're talking about. Good quality Japanese RPGs are declining and Western RPGs is taking the top. We can't deny that.

honestly i don't know whether jrpgs are declining or just lack of porting it to English, and publishers are also becoming alot more universal Square-enix being a prime example they are now releasing a lot of English titles Sleeping dogs/tomb raider being prime examples

Gilver

Gilver

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMt.Everest

honestly i don't know whether jrpgs are declining or just lack of porting it to English, and publishers are also becoming alot more universal Square-enix being a prime example they are now releasing a lot of English titles Sleeping dogs/tomb raider being prime examples

It's declining because the lack of an actual good JRPG. Final fantasy XIII didn't receive that much reception and so as dragon's dogma. Dark souls is different since it's very gameplay is very western like. Even though dragon's dogma looks like a western rpg because the setting is more like of a medieval age, the gameplay is still very much japanese. Sleeping dogs and Tombraider aren't even RPGs.

Sleeping dogs - Open-world action adventure
Tomb raider - Action adventure platform

People really have false misconception of what a RPG is. Just because it's open world doesn't mean it's an RPG.
Honestly, this is more than JRPGs which is dying or whatsoever. The whole japanese gaming industry as a whole.

Old articles but it seems most people here don't know these so...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/keiji-inafune-qa/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353056/kojima-japans-curse-is-its-focus-on-japan/

Edited by Gilver, 23 September 2012 - 03:45 AM.

sigpic578_26.gif

EndlessNight

EndlessNight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

It's declining because the lack of an actual good JRPG. Final fantasy XIII didn't receive that much reception and so as dragon's dogma. Dark souls is different since it's very gameplay is very western like. Even though dragon's dogma looks like a western rpg because the setting is more like of a medieval age, the gameplay is still very much japanese. Sleeping dogs and Tombraider aren't even RPGs.

Sleeping dogs - Open-world action adventure
Tomb raider - Action adventure platform

People really have false misconception of what a RPG is. Just because it's open world doesn't mean it's an RPG.
Honestly, this is more than JRPGs which is dying or whatsoever. The whole japanese gaming industry as a whole.

Old articles but it seems most people here don't know these so...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/keiji-inafune-qa/

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353056/kojima-japans-curse-is-its-focus-on-japan/

I don't think you understood me at all.
What i said was that Square-enix used to focus on releasing Jrpgs into english

and now they have started making and releasing other times of games and put jrpgs on the back burner

i used sleeping dogs and tomb raider as an example of what they are doing now

Gilver

Gilver

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • LocationMt.Everest
Oh sorry.

The thing is square is considering whether it would sell well in the west. Yes i probably agree with you at the lack of JRPGs into english but there is more than that. Companies would only release a JRPG in english if they think enough if that particular game would sell well.
It's "quantity over quality" now a days. The decline of the japanese gaming industry itself is probably one of the reasons why many JRPGs are not being release into the west. If you think about, this generation is more on Open-world action adventure,Stealth and FPS.

Edited by Gilver, 23 September 2012 - 04:51 AM.

sigpic578_26.gif

black ★ star

black ★ star

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Locationin the shibusen
no i dont think so...
i just buy borderlands 2 and i need to say is awesome ,
Spoiler