Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Italian names

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dRyW

dRyW

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Italian names?? How in the world..?

Very poor taste..but make me happy see it :P!

D. Angel

D. Angel

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Oh my, seeing this topic left unanswered was really perturbing me, so I'd like to point out a few thing about the author's choice of the names

Pinocchio, and his creator, Geppetto, are clearly a reference to the eponymous Italian novel Pinocchio, which was written by Carlo Lorenzini under the nom de plume of Collodi.
As regards the name of the other androids, they are references to the Maschere della commedia dell'arte, a set of stock characters (Arlecchino, Pulcinella, Colombina...) which were used in 16th-century Italian street theatre, and are still used today in Italian puppet shows for children. So the bad guys are a sort of high-end puppets, and their creator a scientic carpenter.
As a matter of fact the character of Rosaura is perfectly identical to its puppet counterpart (blonde, girl, blue dress, bow - it even has a page on Italian Wikipedia).

Moreover, the channel Florence7 is an obvious hint at the place where the novel was written (Firenze), Grillo is the Italian name of Jiminy Cricket, and chairman Fanfarone (as I do believe Panparone is just the umpteenth typo of the author - see the missing 'p' in the title) means braggart. I have still some doubts about Nero and Vale, though.

dRyW

dRyW

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply.
I don't know what country are you from but actually you know more about pinocchio and maschere stuff than i who am italian.
The most srtiking things's to see not only of course the characters names but unespectdely other circumstance names, which make appear a corean manwha so close to an completly different country and colture. So i posted here and searched about possibles author's interviews hoping to find the reason for this choice.

Edited by dRyW, 22 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Vueiy

Vueiy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

Oh my, seeing this topic left unanswered was really perturbing me, so I'd like to point out a few thing about the author's choice of the names

Pinocchio, and his creator, Geppetto, are clearly a reference to the eponymous Italian novel Pinocchio, which was written by Carlo Lorenzini under the nom de plume of Collodi.
As regards the name of the other androids, they are references to the Maschere della commedia dell'arte, a set of stock characters (Arlecchino, Pulcinella, Colombina...) which were used in 16th-century Italian street theatre, and are still used today in Italian puppet shows for children. So the bad guys are a sort of high-end puppets, and their creator a scientic carpenter.
As a matter of fact the character of Rosaura is perfectly identical to its puppet counterpart (blonde, girl, blue dress, bow - it even has a page on Italian Wikipedia).

Moreover, the channel Florence7 is an obvious hint at the place where the novel was written (Firenze), Grillo is the Italian name of Jiminy Cricket, and chairman Fanfarone (as I do believe Panparone is just the umpteenth typo of the author - see the missing 'p' in the title) means braggart. I have still some doubts about Nero and Vale, though.

So...Clody = Collodi? Wouldn't that kind of make him the "author" of all that's happening now...? XD

jfforums

jfforums

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Italian names?? How in the world..?

Very poor taste..but make me happy see it :P!

Well, i find this quite refreshing for a manga/manhwa :D

BTW, i think Nero is black on Italian, and some eons ago there was some italian movie actor Franco Nero ;)

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
There was actually a 'filler' between chapter 23 and 24 explaining the characters' name origin.

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=440244&no=25&weekday=thu

Gepetto is, obviously, based on heavily Pinocchio, with SF taste put in.

Cloddi is from pen name of Pinocchio's author.

Lorenchini is actual name of Pinocchio's author.

Fanfarone is name of circus master Pinocchio was captured.

Nero is from 4 black rabbits who are Death coming to collect Pinocchio, thought to be dead.
(His look is heavily based on author's past work's character.)

Whale is of course the one that swallowed Pinocchio and Gepetto.
(He says it was shark in original, but he liked whale better.)

Arlecchino, Pulcinella, Colombina are three puppets Pinocchio meets in Circus.
(Arlecchino's look is loosely based on Mary Elle Fanning.)

Gepetto and Pinocchio is obvious.

Rampinone is newspaper of politic satire author of Pinocchio used to write.

Melanpo is from old dead dog from Pinocchio.

Florence7 is where Pinocchio's author was born.

Grillo is another obvious one.

Sellin is completely unrelated to Pinocchio. As many characters are.

All there references are intended, but they are not really important to plot of Gepetto and readers can enjoy it without ever knowing the connection with original Pinocchio.

Vueiy

Vueiy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

I'm wondering if...

Spoiler