Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

General discussions and speculations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2986 replies to this topic

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Come one, Ran's interesting. He's what, the only genuinely good guy of this webtoon? And he's a main character.

You'll have to give some support as to why he's interesting. He doesn't have much agency, in my opinion. Ran is not a good guy. He only likes Leez because she reminds him of a close mentor. He normally doesn't care much for commoners ("Only poor people who can't pay their tuition have to do graduation quests...") 

By now, we all know there are no good guys in this story. There aren't bad guys either. 

On the latest chapter, does anyone think Laila will end-up summoning God of Darkness? And if so, how do you suppose darkness can be used to kill suras?

isiana

isiana

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts

You'll have to give some support as to why he's interesting. He doesn't have much agency, in my opinion. Ran is not a good guy. He only likes Leez because she reminds him of a close mentor. He normally doesn't care much for commoners ("Only poor people who can't pay their tuition have to do graduation quests...") 

By now, we all know there are no good guys in this story. There aren't bad guys either. 

On the latest chapter, does anyone think Laila will end-up summoning God of Darkness? And if so, how do you suppose darkness can be used to kill suras?

I don't think we'll see Chandra getting summoned. It feels like too easy a solution to the whole thing. I mean yeah Laila would sacrifice some of her lifespan. But from what we've already seen from Agni, Chandra can easily deal with the sura army (especially since Laila probably has more vigor than Brilith).

We've already seen two darkness-only transcendental skills: http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/Violet_Rain and http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/Bloody_Line

I imagine a lot of offensive darkness transcendentals would be energy beams/explosions (like a lot of other transcendentals) or maybe poison-related stuff.

Edited by isiana, 17 November 2014 - 11:53 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Come one, Ran's interesting. He's what, the only genuinely good guy of this webtoon? And he's a main character.

I like what Currygom did with him. When the series started out, he seemed destined to be nothing but the buttjoke of the group, and he played that role marvelously. (lol)

In most stories, a character in this role will remain in it until the end of the series, though possibly having some dramatic moment (usually near the end of the series, and usually in combination with a dramatic flashback) to prove himself badass after all. However, Currygom developed him not through dramatic flashbacks (his past is being mostly sweeped under the rug -for now-), or dramatic feats, but through only his gradual interactions with other characters. In doing so, she simultaneously uncovered other aspects of the characters as well. I think she did a marvelous job, enough for many readers here to now list him as one of the best characters.

When he started off, Ran appeared to be a loser who just happened to be full of himself. He got himself into a petty rivalry with the supposedly 'perfect' Asha. We had a funny moment, and thought it was over. But no. After winning the bet, Ran admitted that the rankings meant nothing, and conceded that Asha was stronger than him, therefore showing surprising humility. From there onwards, his relationship with Asha was no longer so black and white. He shows her respect, and even sympathy after learning that she can use hoti visnu, but he also tries to get Asha to treat Yuta and Leez better, until he finally decides to take custody instead.

With Yuta, he became one of the few people who knows the truth about him. He says that it's unbelievable for a superior sura to travel with humans, but he's also completely fine with it. He tried to look out for Yuta in his own way, and in the end Yuta even turned to him for relationship advice. (lol!)

Finally, with Leez, his interactions initially seemed limited to petty bickering. Throughout the series though, he's progressively become nicer to her, by taking her side against Asha, by buying her things etc. And when he offered to take custody of Leez, it was a surprising sign that this guy, who loafed around as a student and who never worked for money in his life, was taking responsibility as a mature adult.

So despite appearing to be the least significant of the group, Ran had a major role in the group's dynamics.

That's not to say he doesn't have his own interesting background, though that has only been hinted upon for now. We're led to believe that he got a phobia of Halfs after his mother was caught by emotional resonance, yet when the Gandharva Halfs went berserk due to emotional resonance, the one he was calling for was his mother, and we later learned that he froze his parents' corpses in hopes of having them resurrected, so maybe there is more to the story. The fact that he doesn't make a big deal of his past (beyond having a phobia he has no control over) actually makes me think more highly of him. Too many characters in stories use tragic pasts as excuses to either act like a self-important jerk or to try to destroy the world or both, instead of oh.... getting over it. And of course, there's the bit about him being the grandson of the current Yaksha King.

Like Leez, Ran has been in a mostly larval stage in the story so far, and Currygom has mostly focused on fleshing out his interactions with the other characters of the group rather than make him take independent action (because there was none for him to take), but I think she's finally done setting up his character and will start to show the results in action. Ran will soon become an AA magician and learn more of the truth of what's going on. Soon he will be armed with truth, authority and a fair amount of power (he's got the Neutral Bow now, plus we never did see how strong he truly is), and I'll be interested to see what he does with that.

Edited by Mizura, 18 November 2014 - 02:03 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

salvatore

salvatore

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationEarth

I hope they don't summon Chandra or even Agni doesn't come to their rescue, i just want to see a war with the Sura and the magicians where any god doesn't intervene, Agni saved their a**** twice, this time things should be different, somehow i am kind of hoping to see more strong magicians like Airi that can go toe to toe with Rakshasa and plus Yuta & Kasak taking the credits this time instead of a god  :)

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

I hope they don't summon Chandra or even Agni doesn't come to their rescue, i just want to see a war with the Sura and the magicians where any god doesn't intervene, Agni saved their a**** twice, this time things should be different, somehow i am kind of hoping to see more strong magicians like Airi that can go toe to toe with Rakshasa and plus Yuta & Kasak taking the credits this time instead of a god  :)

Airi is the n°1 fighter of Willarv... So it's gonna be hard. But yeah, all with Yuta and Kasak. 

No, actually just Kasak is fine too. Yuta, just go fight Samphati instead, the city is safe if she does nothing.

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

I don't think we'll see Chandra getting summoned. It feels like too easy a solution to the whole thing. I mean yeah Laila would sacrifice some of her lifespan. But from what we've already seen from Agni, Chandra can easily deal with the sura army (especially since Laila probably has more vigor than Brilith).

We've already seen two darkness-only transcendental skills: http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/Violet_Rain and http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/Bloody_Line

I imagine a lot of offensive darkness transcendentals would be energy beams/explosions (like a lot of other transcendentals) or maybe poison-related stuff.

Oh wow, thanks for the links. I don't see Violet Rain being labeled as strictly a darkness attribute (it's a combo thing). I think Bloody Line is also a combo - it seems like it could be Marut + Darkness. Where do you geniuses find this stuff anyway? 

Am I the only one who wants to see Chandra? I think Chandra would use mostly mental attacks, rather than physical or poison-related attacks. I suspect it might be why Laila always keeps a mask on, to keep her demons at bay. 

[Even when a character who has so much money and lived so comfortably that he never have to face real life, the smallest setbacks he faces can be rewarding challenges that make for personal growth!]

zzzzzz..... zzzzzzz....

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Oh wow, thanks for the links. I don't see Violet Rain being labeled as strictly a darkness attribute (it's a combo thing). I think Bloody Line is also a combo - it seems like it could be Marut + Darkness. Where do you geniuses find this stuff anyway? 

Am I the only one who wants to see Chandra? I think Chandra would use mostly mental attacks, rather than physical or poison-related attacks. I suspect it might be why Laila always keeps a mask on, to keep her demons at bay. 

"Darkness+other" means that you need at least 1 darkness attribute to cast it, it doesn't matter what other attribute you have.

Where we find that? uhhhhh.... secret sources that we totally not translate although spreading is forbidden....

want to see chandra too o_o he seems to have weird hair? lol (+ he looks kinda nude. *dies of laughing* maybe he just cloaks himself with shadows and wears nothing...xD another reason for laila not to summon him wahahaha)

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

"Darkness+other" means that you need at least 1 darkness attribute to cast it, it doesn't matter what other attribute you have.

Where we find that? uhhhhh.... secret sources that we totally not translate although spreading is forbidden....

want to see chandra too o_o he seems to have weird hair? lol (+ he looks kinda nude. *dies of laughing* maybe he just cloaks himself with shadows and wears nothing...xD another reason for laila not to summon him wahahaha)

Is Chandra male or female?

(Wait; you shouldn't have said that... Now I have weird images in my head T_T...)

zzzzzz..... zzzzzzz....

Come on, be comprehensive a bit. How are your arguments any better? A character doesn't need to be evil to be interesting! Actually the fact Ran is "genuinely" kind would be his good point as a person, and his originality as a character in this webtoon. Plus, we still don't know everything about him. So, try to view it from our POV, and we will try from yours as well. I mean, your personal preferences are up to you, but there are people who don't share your position about him, Naruto and whatever. So, don't be rude please. You're ignoring arguments, that can be viewed as offensive. 

I understand your point, but I don't agree. Remember he also complained about Leez and Yuta having to endure Asha's presence? And he started caring about Leez a lot of time before he noticed she had a relationship with Rao. Like in the water channels, while teaching her magic. He also carried her all the way out of the water channels, right?  (Well, Asha asked... But he still did it.) 

Ended up writing a lot, sorry...

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Crazy thought of the day (yes I'm sleep deprived, don't say anything xD):

Spoiler

PS just thought: wth, kaz looks a bit like ran? then remembered that they probably are related ("Lehn" as last name). seems like high physical endurance was on Nard's side of the family lol

Edited by Tierra, 18 November 2014 - 10:44 PM.

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationWhere perverts reside and crazies roam~

omggg....I did not notice that cat's reaction until now!! hahahahaha! It's pretty funny and cute xDDDDD haha

giphy.gif

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged
Come on, be comprehensive a bit. 
  Why? What I said are self-evident.

How are your arguments any better?
  Don't see why I need any (see above).

A character doesn't need to be evil to be interesting!
  True, I like Sagara. She's not evil. 

Actually the fact Ran is "genuinely" kind would be his good point as a person, and his originality as a character in this webtoon.
  I don't see him any nicer than the average person. You can say a lot of characters are original, but I don't see how he can be original.

Plus, we still don't know everything about him.
  That's about true for every other character here.  

So, try to view it from our POV, and we will try from yours as well.
  You don't have to if you don't want to. I don't think want to lose my originality.

I mean, your personal preferences are up to you, but there are people who don't share your position about him, Naruto and whatever.
  Um... ok... 

So, don't be rude please.
  How am I rude? 

You're ignoring arguments, that can be viewed as offensive.
  No, you lack my sense of humor.

I understand your point, but I don't agree.
  That's fine. I want my points to be original.

Remember he also complained about Leez and Yuta having to endure Asha's presence?
  No, but Ran does complain a lot.

And he started caring about Leez a lot of time before he noticed she had a relationship with Rao.
  Since when did he like plebians? 

Like in the water channels, while teaching her magic.
   No, God!Kubera told Leez about magic, and Leez got interested so she asked Ran.

He also carried her all the way out of the water channels, right?  (Well, Asha asked... But he still did it.)
   Just to show you he doesn't have much agency. Boring.

Ended up writing a lot, sorry... No, you're quite curt, unlike others.
I don't hate Ran, I just find him boring. He'll need to be a bit more interesting before I start to hate him. Moving on....

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

@ Tierra: ahahaha, that's so cute! x'D

I wonder if the cat will do something later on. Would be cute. :D

Tierra: you got it upside down. Transcendentals are such that if you go over the maximum limit of attributes the transcendental allows, then you Can't use it. I only realized it recently when RWF (I think) explained it somewhere.

Violet Rain says Darkness + Other(s) (1~3 attributes all possible). This means that the user must have a Darkness attribute, and may have up to 3 different attributes total (including Darkness).

Most transcendentals are listed as being usable with the user having up to 3 different attributes. This is why Korean readers wonder whether Yuta can use transcendentals, since he has 4 different ones.

Random: you know in Ch. 2-9, Asha splashed Gods' blood on Yuta and he could absorb it just like that? Say, what if the Hide of Bondage absorbed it for him? It'd hard to tell, in any case. What do you guys think the Hide of Bondage can do? I think:

- Stealth feature, obviously.

- Maybe it has a capture option, with its tentacles and such.

- Maybe it can absorb the blood of prey and convert it into vigor for the wearer (before proper conversion it absorbs blood indiscriminately, hence making its prety bleed). I mean, if Leez finds herself all alone, she needs to get food somehow...

- If Yuta's scarf becomes a part of it, it may have defensive properties against offensive transcendentals.

Edited by Mizura, 19 November 2014 - 02:29 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

@ Tierra: ahahaha, that's so cute! x'D

I wonder if the cat will do something later on. Would be cute. :D

Tierra: you got it upside down. Transcendentals are such that if you go over the maximum limit of attributes the transcendental allows, then you Can't use it. I only realized it recently when RWF (I think) explained it somewhere.

Violet Rain says Darkness + Other(s) (1~3 attributes all possible). This means that the user must have a Darkness attribute, and may have up to 3 different attributes total (including Darkness).

Most transcendentals are listed as being usable with the user having up to 3 different attributes. This is why Korean readers wonder whether Yuta can use transcendentals, since he has 4 different ones.

Random: you know in Ch. 2-9, Asha splashed Gods' blood on Yuta and he could absorb it just like that? Say, what if the Hide of Bondage absorbed it for him? It'd hard to tell, in any case. What do you guys think the Hide of Bondage can do? I think:
- Stealth feature, obviously.
- Maybe it has a capture option, with its tentacles and such.
- Maybe it can absorb the blood of prey and convert it into vigor for the wearer (before proper conversion it absorbs blood indiscriminately, hence making its prety bleed). I mean, if Leez finds herself all alone, she needs to get food somehow...
- If Yuta's scarf becomes a part of it, it may have defensive properties against offensive transcendentals.

Why upside down? I got it like that too... maybe I can't explain it well xD

Example for possible combos:

Darkness
Darkness - wind
Darkness - Darkness
Darkness - Wind - Water
Darkness - Darkness -Water
Darkness - Darkness - Darkness

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Why upside down? I got it like that too... maybe I can't explain it well xD
Example for possible combos:
Darkness
Darkness - wind
Darkness - Darkness
Darkness - Wind - Water
Darkness - Darkness -Water
Darkness - Darkness - Darkness

'Darkness' and 'Darkness+Extra' and 'Dakness+Extra+Extra' is different. And it is important because that decides whether a race can use it or not.
  • Ivy likes this

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Oh wait, I read wrong. xD For some reason, I read "at least one other attribute." My bad! o,o

Well, this way other readers get it too. x'D

3492bk6.jpg

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
Tbh, all these is kinda meaningless since trasedentals don't have much of type (dis)advantage and about everyone has different tributes so far.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Random thought: say... about Leez feeding vegetables to Yuta, isn't it kind of Asha's fault too? She's the one who at first, ordered a table full of vegetarian dishes for Yuta to eat, and Yuta subsequently gulped it all down. Leez could have had the mistaken impression that Yuta Does love vegetables. x'D

3492bk6.jpg

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany
^
I remember.. wheb they waited in front of the water channel and Yuta writes to Asha that he would be back soon and ran off...
On the opposite page of the notebook..
"No leez
Ok just one
Just one more
Just one more
"

Asha: hey leez did you by any chance feed yuta something?
Leez: oh nothing much, just around 10 fresh cucumbers.

Lol

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

^
I remember.. wheb they waited in front of the water channel and Yuta writes to Asha that he would be back soon and ran off...
On the opposite page of the notebook..
"No leez
Ok just one
Just one more
Just one more
"

Asha: hey leez did you by any chance feed yuta something?
Leez: oh nothing much, just around 10 fresh cucumbers.

Lol

Yeah, I loled too... Poor Yuta...

Wait, wasn't it cucumbers that Nerd... Nard... Ran's grandfather gave to Tak? Fate* XD

*Fate=Currygom

Tsarina

Tsarina

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts

Recently, I was thinking of Asha's flashback scene with the mysterious woman. For a while, I thought she was Visnu because I figured his appearance was unstable and he no longer existed in the form of a god. However, like someone suggested earlier, I've been thinking she might be Shuri like others have suspected. In Yuta's flashbacks she appears to be kind and patient, but I suspect that may all be an act on Visnu's orders. Visnu has been shown to be manipulative in order to achieve his desired ends (regardless of who is hurt or whatever they may actually be), and since Shuri was the closest to Visnu, she may be similar to his personality. Her motherly role with Yuta may simply be to limit his chaotic nature to further Visnu's goals. Additionally, her sympathy toward humans may be comparable to human sympathy towards insects, other animals, or pet.

Similarly, I've been wondering what Agni said to Gandharva in regards to his relationship with Brilith. Maybe he feels obligated toward her because her indirectly killed Jibril?