Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Site wide language filter

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

thddragon85

thddragon85

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
The idea is to only see english (my language of choice), or some other language or languages of choice for home page (latest updates), my follows, chapter list in the manga home page, and wherever else manga chapters would show.
An implementation of this would be to have the language of choice added as a user setting.
Then, tack on to every query "language in (1,2,3, etc..).

Please see thesubwire.com for an example of this (I'm in no way affiliated with the site, but use it because its useful).

EDIT: 04/18/2012
added a summary of the things discussed in the thread below

So, for those following this thread, I'll see if I can sum it up.
The Home page
show all new mangas,
regardless of what language its in,
in the order that it last came out
The My Follows bar on the top right of the Home page
show the newest release for a manga that you are following at the top,
with a time stamp to show the language that you have selected in the series page or the my follows page (not sure which one, since I have both set for english)
The My Follows page (follows on the menu bar below the batoto logo on the top left)
same as the bar

I would find that a quick patch would be to add an ORDER by on release date.
Not sure what your database layout is like, but if you have the language and release date seperated, an inner join on language should be all you need in order to get that order by working

Edited by thddragon85, 19 April 2012 - 04:45 AM.

Mezzo

Mezzo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Please add this, it's annoying to see updates in other languages

Nebulous

Nebulous

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
Came to the forums looking to see if anyone else was noticing this. Its really annoying when your follow says an update and then you go and its in spanish.

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
You can already select a language in your follow and it will be kept, the only problem is for the main page. And for those like me who would like to have more than one language.

God Ginrai

God Ginrai

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 218 posts

You can already select a language in your follow and it will be kept, the only problem is for the main page. And for those like me who would like to have more than one language.

I think he's talking about the mini follow list on the front page. I'm not sure that one honors the setting of your follows page (can't confirm atm, this is just conjecture) and it doesn't tell you in that small list the language of the update.

-God Ginrai

Edited by God Ginrai, 30 March 2012 - 08:42 AM.

kdom

kdom

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 376 posts
Yes it is the one I'm talking about too. If you select a language in your 'my follows' page, then the mini follow will only display the chapters in this language. I know for sure, since I experimented it unpurposely when I selected French and only One Piece new chapter appeared.

Edited by kdom, 09 March 2012 - 06:51 AM.

Zodarr

Zodarr

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary
Oh, so thats how it is. The My follows mini list is now clear (didnt know until now).
But I agree with the sitewide language settings (mainly for Latest updates on the starting page).
And for those who want more than one displayed, could just add another and another, etc. to show.
E.g.: You have one filter, can choose if site should show all langages, or just one selected.
Then, you could add another filter to add another language, and add another one, and so on.
Maybe this combined with a -in wich section- (e.g.: latest updates, my follows, etc.)
-which language(s) should be shown-

Sorry, was a bit long, i stop now my train of thought...

bolzoo

bolzoo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

Oh, so thats how it is. The My follows mini list is now clear (didnt know until now).
But I agree with the sitewide language settings (mainly for Latest updates on the starting page).
And for those who want more than one displayed, could just add another and another, etc. to show.
E.g.: You have one filter, can choose if site should show all langages, or just one selected.
Then, you could add another filter to add another language, and add another one, and so on.
Maybe this combined with a -in wich section- (e.g.: latest updates, my follows, etc.)
-which language(s) should be shown-

Sorry, was a bit long, i stop now my train of thought...

THIS!

spiderzero

spiderzero

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Setting your language in the My Follows list will not stop a manga from appearing at the top of the list if it is updated in a new language. The date underneath it will still correspond to the last time it was updated in your language, but the manga will be moved up to the top of the list, throwing off the chronology and making it hard to keep track of.

Mezzo

Mezzo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
the homepage needs a filter too, please add one.

Banana Bread

Banana Bread

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 36 posts
Hehe, was about to suggest the same thing, good thing I did a search. LOL! Well, the main advantage of having it on the main updates page as compared to the follows page is simply this, there might be new manga that you still are not following. That way the main updates page will only show your preferred language. Well if this feature does get put in, it will make Batoto more awesomer (is awesomer even a real word?)... If not, Batoto is still awesome... ;)

P.S. I am guilty of being too lazy sometime to note the flag icon so I just click when I see a new update, don't hit me too hard. XD
Posted Image

Look at Gunter dance or you can click this ---> http://www.batoto.net/group/_/j/jshoujo-scans-r324

thddragon85

thddragon85

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
So, for those following this thread, I'll see if I can sum it up.
The Home page
show all new mangas,
in the order that it last came out
The My Follows bar on the top right of the Home page
show the newest release for a manga that you are following at the top,
with a time stamp to show the language that you have selected in the series page or the my follows page (not sure which one, since I have both set for english)
The My Follows page (follows on the menu bar below the batoto logo on the top left)
same as the bar

I would find that a quick patch would be to add an ORDER by on release date.
Not sure what your database layout is like, but if you have the language and release date seperated, an inner join on language should be all you need in order to get that order by working

raenef

raenef

Potato

• Validating
  • 101 posts
ok and i am clsoing this discussing as this is one of the topics numbered somwhere when x -> infinite

even on the first page there should be multible threats to this topic

it has been discussed endless times and the staff knows it nothing new please check the topics before u make a new post

on the new answered topics for today about 3 were about this again

btw wanna buy glasses?
Typesetter & Redrawer for CWL

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

The fact that there are so many threads about it is clearly a sign that this is a major concern for the users. I think it would help if Grumpy or other could say what are the difficulties to solve that problem because honestly I'm quite perplexed. It's available in the follows and the comics pages, how is the home page any different ?

It's not so much of the difficulty in it, but that I had a revamp of the follows in progress... Then bunch of issues kept on coming up. @ work, life, ddos, and other batoto problems one after the other. I haven't had much time to invest in Batoto to fix these issues along with number of others.

Closed.