Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

To yell the techniques or to not?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Mokata

Mokata

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Locationshin makoku
What is better? To shout or not shout? Why shout?
I think they shout their moves to keep some people amused since they know much about fighting.

what are your thoughts?

Megane000

Megane000

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
ehh .. well i think its better to shout it .. same as yours it can amused some of the readers .. do you know the manga Kurogane? im amused in the sword style name "Sakura One Strike Style" :batoto_028:

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!

ehh .. well i think its better to shout it .. same as yours it can amused some of the readers .. do you know the manga Kurogane? im amused in the sword style name "Sakura One Strike Style" :batoto_028:

I think that is a rather cute name for a sword style :P

@mokata, They are not shouting most of the time, they are thinking and shown the name so you know which attack they will be using. That is mostly done with the blackish exploding cloud thingy :P Most of the manga's are not DBZ'ish :P

Edited by Laurens D, 01 March 2012 - 04:17 AM.

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

Omoraru

Omoraru

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
They do not shout their techniques, it is as Laurens said =)

xeixei

xeixei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
yeah just like u guys said, mostly to amused the reader. To shout out style names is just a thing in media. In a normal perspective, people don't shout them out lol. mostly like: hiya! ya!!! They replace those action words with bubbles with the names of technique for readers to know what's going on. There are other comics that don't shout the technique and let the reader follow the story, later on the characters explaining, add some more fillers etc...

Edited by xeixei, 01 March 2012 - 07:07 PM.

Hellion Twins

Hellion Twins

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 731 posts
  • LocationKeeling over
Yelling is a technique in martial arts, but to yell out the style is just face-palm.

Basically, techniques have counter techniques and most of them start with a feint as some other technique.
Shouting out the technique pretty much gives away what counter technique to use,
unless you're using it as a ruse, though it expands more energy which you should conserve instead.

But all in all, yeah, they aren't really shouting the style but it is a narrative declaration of the style via violent black inkblots.

tumblr_mespwcUZxx1rxs3wso1_400.gif

Manga Recommendation: 21/04/14

Spoiler

A gift from Maia Obanee

Guest_KarchAmadeo_von_Kartoffel

Guest_KarchAmadeo_von_Kartoffel
  • Guests
I think it shouldnt be about the move but intent behind it. Some shout the move, others just say "ill gouge your eyes out", and others say something random to throw their opponent off (Hero: Mega punch!!! Villain: That was a kick!!). Still I agree with DST; its akin to ordering a burger from some place and saying, "cow hamburger, lettuce tomato and ketchup only".

Edited by KarchAmadeo, 30 April 2012 - 06:28 PM.

DualPrinciple

DualPrinciple

Potato

• Members
  • 128 posts
Not to shout, definately. Good thing is, they are not shouting them here anyway. Much better.

Never forget where you came from; never stop moving onwards. The future is ours for the taking.
What is the difference between a MAN and a SLAVE? The man chooses, the slave obeys.
A wise one knows truth lies in the middle - as all the Opposites are unified unto One.
There is a system in chaos, just as light shines at it's brightest in the dark.

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg
whatcolor_isblack.jpg

whatcolor_isred.jpg

Kleric

Kleric

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
mistletein kiick!!!.... *sore kicku jenaiiii~!*

Davy0

Davy0

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
They aren't yelling them they are thinking them.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
I think they are thinking them, and it is written to tell the readers.

YellowKingValley

YellowKingValley

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 221 posts
Yell mono- or bi-syllabic words to help concentrate and increase ferocity of attack.

Any longer and you might bite your tongue and waste your breath.

Joker

Joker

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFreezed in a capsule waiting for the creation of VRMMORPGs
I there are times when you just have to shout because the name is so badass, I think Rakan^ says it all

"You must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom -

Cervance

Cervance

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Who the hell do you think I am KICK!!

alcaray

alcaray

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorth Am

I always yell my techniques.  Like Woody Allen in 'Play It Again Sam': "Slide!  Slide!"