Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

My 2 cents about manga sharing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

vimes123

vimes123

Potato

• Members
  • 100 posts
please close this, its an accidental duplicate topic, I copied the contents to the original. http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/4096-sharing-ideology/#entry88027

Edited by vimes123, 08 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
Actually, there are many reasons.
1. credits: they do not want people to steal their work (there have been such cases). Especially in case being mangafox which has gone to the extent of removing credit pages before. Would anyone want their work to be taken and not credited? No. They would also like leechers to read their releases and more importantly their recruitment page, if any. Scanlation teams almost always need more staff so they can work on more projects.

regarding the hosting issue, it really depends. Some scanlation groups have to pay for bots, websites, download servers, raws etc. hence the need for donation and/or income from ads/filehosts. almost none of them ever make a profit, while mangafox makes millions.

mangafox also compresses images and effectively ruins their work to some extent. and btw those millions that read on mangafox probably don't give a damn to credits pages or scanlation groups.

well there's lots of other stuff, but really. you should go take a look at all the past situations/conflicts etc. and other stuff that has gone on between scanlation groups and online readers (most prominently mangafox). I would also like to point out that Amaru of A-team even once made a long post about his reasons for rejecting online readers: http://www.ipitydafoo.com/boob-haters/
different groups have different policies but understand that virtually all of them have a good reason for having such policies.

edit: duplicate topic: http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/4096-sharing-ideology/
well I'm too lazy to repost, dont want to post in general discussion, and really cba to think too much on a discussion with someone that's against scanlators.

Edited by soranokira, 08 February 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

vimes123

vimes123

Potato

• Members
  • 100 posts

Actually, there are many reasons.
1. credits: they do not want people to steal their work (there have been such cases). Especially in case being mangafox which has gone to the extent of removing credit pages before. Would anyone want their work to be taken and not credited? No. They would also like leechers to read their releases and more importantly their recruitment page, if any. Scanlation teams almost always need more staff so they can work on more projects.

regarding the hosting issue, it really depends. Some scanlation groups have to pay for bots, websites, download servers, raws etc. hence the need for donation and/or income from ads/filehosts. almost none of them ever make a profit, while mangafox makes millions.

mangafox also compresses images and effectively ruins their work to some extent. and btw those millions that read on mangafox probably don't give a damn to credits pages or scanlation groups.

well there's lots of other stuff, but really. you should go take a look at all the past situations/conflicts etc. and other stuff that has gone on between scanlation groups and online readers (most prominently mangafox). I would also like to point out that Amaru of A-team even once made a long post about his reasons for rejecting online readers: http://www.ipitydafoo.com/boob-haters/
different groups have different policies but understand that virtually all of them have a good reason for having such policies.

edit: duplicate topic: http://www.batoto.ne...aring-ideology/
well I'm too lazy to repost, dont want to post in general discussion, and really cba to think too much on a discussion with someone that's against scanlators.

Even if they remove credit pages (which can be kind of overdone often) that issue can still be solved by a simple small watermark (on only one of the pages please).
Leechers are as likely to be recruited for scanlation teams as end users are to commit to the open source project they are using ( that is, very unlikely).
Most of the people who get recruited are already in the scene, that means using mangasites other than mangafox, using forums etc.
Btw, about the credits, see point about open source programmers, yes there are people without an compulsive need for credit. People who just like sharing and making things they love available for everyone.
Mangafox compression is also overstated. There are only a tiny amount of people who really display images in bigger resolution (browsers resize anyway), and also people are free to choose where to read.
I am quite familiar with all the struggles between scanlators and hosting btw, so no need to remind me of it. I just want to get people to think about, what it really is they are demanding and wat their position is, because in all that quarrel that's a thing easily forgotten.
I'm also not a person who is against scanlators, on the contrary :)

edit: I just noticed the duplicate topic, I wrote this yesterday and couldn't submit it because my internet stopped working all of a sudden, so I saved it to a textfile and posted it today.
It seems it did actually post the thread before it stopped working,
Someone close this one pls.

Edited by vimes123, 08 February 2012 - 02:32 PM.

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
You obviously have never been an active part of any decent scanlator group , to sweet talk so much how you like mangafox.

Scanlations have never been about profit , mangafox apparently is. Do i need to say more , if you cant be convinced that mangafox isnt doing what scanlations are doing on bigger scale by that , nothing can turn you away from your already formed opinion on the issue and refusal to be proven wrong.
Spoiler

vimes123

vimes123

Potato

• Members
  • 100 posts
please close this, its a duplicate topic, I copied the contents to the original. http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/4096-sharing-ideology/#entry88027

Edited by vimes123, 08 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.