Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Simply Writing - Growing through Discourse

Writing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts
The purpose of this thread is to encourage discussion about writing in general in an effort to improve our overall skill. I know it's not easy to handle critique or to recognize the faults you may have, but in order to grow as a writer, we need to learn to recognize what our strengths and weaknesses are in our writing.

Tips, thoughts, personal experience, or any other helpful information are welcomed.

Writing is often regarded as a solitary action, but I don't believe that is the case considering many of us want to share what we write with the world. Let's use this chance to improve and also have a bit of fun at the same time.

Dai Satō

Dai Satō

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationIn yo mind
I personally like to write i know i'm not good at it but i give it my best attempt to write something like this is a writing prompt that my teacher gave me it was "as i listen to..." and i was suppose to write off that and that's what i did so if their is anything i could do to improve i would be happy for it helped me out

As I listen to the music of the rave party. The dark room with people running around and dancing, the lights flashing in my eyes it amazes me. The whole party excites my senses, the touch off people bumping into me, the smell of perfume and cologne mixing together in the air, the sight of people moving and dancing at a fast pace, and lastly the music, the music blows my mind even though there is so many people talking and yelling all I hear is the music. A feeling a dance overwhelms me. I feel like a whole new level of ecstasy is filling my body. It makes me want this night to never end.

As I listen to as I listen to her heart beat mine beats as well. She’s looking at me with those eyes that I can never forget. We embrace each other so close I can hear her breathing. I move a little so my month is next to her ear to say “I love you”. When I leaned back some she went to my ear and said the same thing but when she did I felt my whole body flare up like an oven. We both looked at each other and giggled hearing her voice contradicts me I feel the excitement from it but I also feel calm and cool.

As I listen to all the kids yelling and screaming, I’m running though them all to get someone. The person who really got me mad, when I finally reached him I felt my blood blowing up all the yelling I just heard was numbed out to the point where I can hear them but as a “bluh bluh” thing. All my senses were focus on the guy in front of me. I don’t know what kind of face I had one but I can tell by everyone’s’ facial expression I had a really angry and scary face on. Moments later the fight had already started and at this point I cant here anything but what I’m thinking and all I hear is beat up the guy in front of me.

As I listen to the laughter and talking of the people down stairs it fills me with joy and the annoyance of another family reunion at my house. I’m glad to be able to see all of my family in one place, Hearing the stories my uncles tell me, listening to my mom cheat in the game of dominos is so funny. My grandma always telling about how much of a man I’m turning into, my grandpa telling me money making plans. Hearing all my cousins running around in the backyard. The babies’ giggle makes me want to steal them. Just another family reunion in my house

large.jpg

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard
Oh dang. It's a creative writing thread. Excellent.

Dixxiify, I would be happy to help with any grammar revision you need. I'm not an expert, but I could probably use some of the knowledge my professor taught me to help you out. Btw I like your prompt.

I would have posted one of my old stories, but my old laptop that contained everything crashed. But then again, if you are a writer, anything you have written will suck in your eyes two years later. Something my English professor told me. I find it to be true. Anyway here is an introduction to a story I wrote just for the fun of it. Sorry if it sucks.

I tried to add indentations, but it didn't work.

A warrior cloaked in tattered robes pulled the blade of his old, rusty scythe out of his now dead opponent's body. The blade, now dyed dark red, was wiped clean of the blood that stained it, and the weapon vanished in a cloud of black smoke.
“Another foolish attempt for the sword has ended in failure.” said the figure. His voice was deep and rough. It was a voice that could make the bravest of warriors become paralyzed in fear.
Just then, the doors of the large room were kicked open, and a shadow of a man stood in the doorway. He wore robes similar to the robes the cloaked figure wore.
The figure turned towards the direction of the man and sighed. “Have you come for the sword,” asked the figure as he returned his weapon to his hand in the same manner he made it vanish.
“No,” the man said, “I've come for you!” The man drew a scythe that had a shining, black blade from the sheath on his back.
“You've come for me? I should be saying that to you.”
The two warriors charged each other. They clashed their blades, and sparks flew revealing a pale skull and a sinister smile. The greatest battle unknown to history has begun. Death versus the man many people have called the Grim Reaper.

Edited by Xbox User, 11 February 2012 - 03:14 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Please enjoy the show!

gin_gin

gin_gin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Locationover there!!! *points finger*
ummmm...can you critique mine?

its seven pages long so please bear with it and its not yet finished. I'm kinda happy with the outcome of it but there's still something wrong with it. Its kind of similar with the Pied Piper since that is where the inspiration came from.

Attached Files

Edited by gin_gin, 08 February 2012 - 02:59 AM.

nosebleed worthy:

Spoiler

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

ummmm...can you critique mine?

its seven pages long so please bear with it and its not yet finished. I'm kinda happy with the outcome of it but there's still something wrong with it. Its kind of similar with the Pied Piper since that is where the inspiration came from.

Hi gin_gin, I only had the liberty of reading your first paragraph because class will be starting for me soon, but please allow me to review the paragraph first and I will read the rest later today and give you my opinion after I read it.

The story has a good setting. It is very similar to the Pied Piper like you said. It actually reminded me of the ending when the Piper takes the children away. I like the way you described your characters. It was enough for me to create a good image of Lady Red in my mind as a sinister, yet beautiful character. However, here comes the bad part, I noticed that you have some "tense" confusion within your paragraph. Such as, singular, plural, past, present, and future tense. What I mean is that you've mixed them up. There was one sentence were you started with a plural tense and ended with a singular tense. There were some other minor errors as well such as comma placement, missing words and apostrophes, paragraph separation, and capitalization. One mistake I also notice, because I used to do this a lot until someone else told me, is that you do not start another line when a character a speaking. You have to start a new line when a character starts to speak or when a sentence contains a speaking part. This is a must in creative writing, because if you do not start a new line, your story will look too compacted if that makes sense.

Now I do not want you going away thinking you're a horrible writer because you're not. You are just beginning. I have been writing for years now and I still suck, but I don't suck as bad like when I started. I have been given advice and reviews from UCLA graduates and college professors and applied the knowledge that was given to me. Now I want to share it with you.

I would like to apologize for rambling on, but I'm a passionate writer and I want to offer my help and opinion when it comes to any type of writing. I'm full of tips my professors have given me, but if I typed them all this post would go on forever so I will stop for now.

Edit: Okay I have read the whole story, but the forum rules refrain me from posting twice and I won't post my full review here since this post is already very long. If you will gin_gin, please post something after reading this.

Edited by Xbox User, 09 February 2012 - 02:06 AM.

Please enjoy the show!

gin_gin

gin_gin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Locationover there!!! *points finger*
Thank you for reading my story. I noticed it too after reading my story again after posting it here and I realized that I have a tendency to mix up tenses when the story that I write gets long so I'll polish here and there to fix my errors. Oh yeah, I forgot about when my characters start a conversation, I should make new lines *facepalm*. Looks like I still have a long way to go. I shall keep those noted.

I get the feeling that when I read my work, i feel that a child wrote it not a me that is a teenager but maybe that's just me. It is my first time writing a full story so I know that there will be mistakes. I'm enthusiastic to see your full review now because this is the first time that I let anyone see my work aside from my friends and family.
nosebleed worthy:

Spoiler

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

Thank you for reading my story. I noticed it too after reading my story again after posting it here and I realized that I have a tendency to mix up tenses when the story that I write gets long so I'll polish here and there to fix my errors. Oh yeah, I forgot about when my characters start a conversation, I should make new lines *facepalm*. Looks like I still have a long way to go. I shall keep those noted.

I get the feeling that when I read my work, i feel that a child wrote it not a me that is a teenager but maybe that's just me. It is my first time writing a full story so I know that there will be mistakes. I'm enthusiastic to see your full review now because this is the first time that I let anyone see my work aside from my friends and family.

It only seems to be a rough draft or else you wouldn't need other people reviewing it, so there's no worries. Your first draft isn't going to be as good as your final draft. Proofreading your own work is a tough thing to do since your brain makes all the corrections in your head as you read along.

Back to the review (this might be long). I can see now that your strength lies in description. You can describe scenes, people, and places beautifully with a great vocabulary. You are very eloquent when it comes to description. I am able to feel like I am actually there in that scene. Now the minor errors I have stated before exist throughout the story along with some run-on sentences. Some proofreading will be able to fix those in no time. There are some sentences that can be phrased better, but I'll leave that up to you to decide to change some sentences or not. There is also no need for extra punctuation marks like this "!!!!!!!" to emphasize your sentence. Simply put one to emphasize your phrase. You also don't need to capitalize or extend a whole word to emphasize it.You can type the word in italics to give it emphasis, and if the word you want to emphasize is at the end of a sentence, put an exclamation mark to give it emphasis. Another thing is that thoughts are to be treated like speaking parts, but you don't need to start a new line for them. However, you do need to capitalize the first word, like the start of a sentence, and the thought must have quotation marks. I do praise you for knowing to put the thought in italics. Not many people know that in the beginning. I also notice you sometimes repeat a word to exaggerate it like "......after long long time of starvation......" In some cases, when the extra word is needed, put a comma in between them. Most of the time you don't need the extra word, so just omit it. Lastly here are some tips to improve your writing. To sound more professional, refrain from using any contractions like "don't" or "can't". Instead, put "do not" and "cannot". Don't use so like very like "it's been so long" or "there is so much". Try to rephrase them. Try your best to avoid using what are called "iceberg" words. They are words that hide a deeper meaning. Some examples are "good", "bad", "thing" and "fun". Good means not bad, and bad means not good. Get what I mean? "Thing" and "fun" are just very vague words. Riding a roller coaster and playing tag are both fun, but there's a different degree of fun between them. Get it? Try using a more descriptive word in place of these "iceberg" words if you can. Last one, promise. When a character speaks, you can basically toss out all the rules of grammar and spelling except for punctuation, capitalization, and a few others. Sometimes you can even toss those rules out as well. If you want your character to speak text talk and type in text talk. If you want your character to sound cute then type in "I sowwy mister". Type in exactly what you want the character to say.

I hope I was some help, and I look forward to your next story.

Edited by Xbox User, 09 February 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Please enjoy the show!

LiamE.

LiamE.

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWho knows?
Please please read mine too? It was supposed to be a short story (ended up taking up 11 pages :S) for the school papers. I gave it to my friends, but you know how friends are, never have any real critics... :S
Please tell me whether it's any good? :3
I'll be forever grateful! :batoto_024:

Attached Files

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

Please please read mine too? It was supposed to be a short story (ended up taking up 11 pages :S) for the school papers. I gave it to my friends, but you know how friends are, never have any real critics... :S
Please tell me whether it's any good? :3
I'll be forever grateful! :batoto_024:

Me? A real critic? Well I must have done something right for you to ask me. Anyway, I would be happy to read your story and give my review. I'll probably post it up during the weekend. Most likely late Saturday (PST) because I have an exam on Monday and a paper due on Thursday, so I'll be busy this weekend. Just reassuring you that I will read your story, so you don't have to wonder if I will or not.

Please enjoy the show!

LiamE.

LiamE.

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWho knows?
Because you give concrete answers, useful tips, and somehow it feels like talking to a real writer/editor.
I'm very thankful for you taking time to read it even though you have such a tight schedule! :batoto_028:

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard
Oh what an enjoyable read. I know I said I would post up the review late Saturday (PST), but I finished rewriting my notes earlier than expected. Now I'm going to review your story a little different than gin_gin's because I was able to address her problems as a whole since there were a lot of the same problem. Your story, on the other hand, has various problems in small amounts. This will be long.

Spoiler

Overall, I loved the story, and I was impressed by your structure and vocabulary. And you must let me read the continuation if you decide to write one. I hope I was of some help, and I look forward to your next story.

Edited by Xbox User, 27 February 2012 - 09:24 PM.

Please enjoy the show!

LiamE.

LiamE.

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationWho knows?
Thank you, thank you, thank you! :batoto_008:
It was of great help!
Ah, yes, I expected the commas to be mentioned. Also in my homeworks or essays the most common mistakes are usually commas.
I went through the rules on the site you gave me (wow there are so many... ), so hopefully my teacher won't have to buy a new pen after grading my homework anymore. xD
And the reins thing... *facepalm* Not trusting google translator any more.
I doubt that I'm going to continue this one because I'm already (sort of) working on a novel. :unsure:

Anyway, I'm really happy that you found it interesting, and thank you once more for the tips! :batoto_007:

Fenrir2218

Fenrir2218

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationIn between a rock and a hard place.
Hmm a curiosity befalls me. What is this I see but a thread to write.
The funny phrasing aside, I wish to submit a free writing. This will be short as I cannot link a document I don't have or haven't even written yet.

Darkness, all around darkness. Their eyes strained to adjust, but they couldn't. Peering around blindly they heard the echo of water bounding and rebounding off the walls all around. The slow trickle of water that told them not where they were but that they were damp. Upon this realization they all began to shiver, the cold began gnawing at them. Biting through their flesh and happily settiling in their bones. The chill focused their noses letting enter the stale scent of earth. A moldy decaying scent, a scent like death. The smell made them worry, and worry made them anxious. They open their mouths to try and speak, and their mouths were flooded with taste. Gritty earthen flavor wafted in their mouths. The flavor startled them, stealing words from their mouths. Lastly they tried moving, but their hands gave not a care. Their touch was numbed they couldn't feel. They panicked breifly before their wits came about them. They went to sleep soundly. They finally remembered they were dead.

On black wings the angel Flies
Scythe in hand with soundless Cries
Spectral stare that Pierces Dark
Finding still their fading Mark
Marrow hands that gleam at Night
Still imposing lethal Might
Claims your soul to lay to Rest
The Reaper Grimm does it Best

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard

Darkness, all around darkness. Their eyes strained to adjust, but they couldn't. Peering around blindly they heard the echo of water bounding and rebounding off the walls all around. The slow trickle of water that told them not where they were but that they were damp. Upon this realization they all began to shiver, the cold began gnawing at them. Biting through their flesh and happily settiling in their bones. The chill focused their noses letting enter the stale scent of earth. A moldy decaying scent, a scent like death. The smell made them worry, and worry made them anxious. They open their mouths to try and speak, and their mouths were flooded with taste. Gritty earthen flavor wafted in their mouths. The flavor startled them, stealing words from their mouths. Lastly they tried moving, but their hands gave not a care. Their touch was numbed they couldn't feel. They panicked breifly before their wits came about them. They went to sleep soundly. They finally remembered they were dead.

Did you come up with this on the spot? Either way it's excellent. I love it!

Edited by Xbox User, 17 February 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Please enjoy the show!

Fenrir2218

Fenrir2218

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
I need to stop watching your signature i'm too engrossed and cannot type lol.

But i made it up on the spot, thank you for the complement and read. I'd like to see more of that story of yours though. it was an interesting tidbit.

codetoki

codetoki

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 389 posts
hi, this is a piece from my friend who wants some critique

Spoiler

Edited by codetoki, 17 March 2012 - 03:20 AM.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Xbox User

Xbox User

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationXbox Dashboard
I can read it over the weekend when I'm done with school and critique it if it hasn't already been done. Maybe Fenrir will do it because he is an excellent writer. If he doesn't then I would be happy to over the weekend.

Please enjoy the show!

Fenrir2218

Fenrir2218

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
2/3rds done. So far its good material but there are a lot of run on statements in the begining, there isn't a pause where there needs to be, and there can be better use of dramatic pause. Ill submit a full reveiw when I finish reading.

Good news I'm done reading it... bad news my phone won't cooperate so I can write a reveiw... so it will have to wait until I get on a computer... 5ish hours.

Edited by Fenrir2218, 24 February 2012 - 04:54 PM.

codetoki

codetoki

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 389 posts
thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time to read it and will welcome any comments / constructive criticism
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fenrir2218

Fenrir2218

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts

thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time to read it and will welcome any comments / constructive criticism

All in all it was a good read, the material is good, the story alright. Here's an issue i have with the writing, towards the beginning especially in the action sequence there doesn't seem to be enough pauses between thoughts. Take this example:
"C’mon, move that body faster! My attacker feinted left, and tried to catch me off guard on my right, but I didn’t fall for it, instead, I used his own attack against him, slamming him to the ground making the movements for the killing blow."

​I'm not one for spelling or 100% proper grammar but when the sentences don't flow it makes it hard on the reader. Now that I've pointed this out lets attempt to remedy. commas are a useful tool in writing but attempt to keep it 1 per sentence. Just because the sentence stops doesn't mean the flow of the action does. "My attacker feinted left, and tried to catch me off guard on my right, but I didn’t fall for it." This is a good section and can make a powerful impact. If i may suggest using "trying" in place of "and tried" it helps the flow. As for tense it works because its occurring at that point in the past.
Then moving on to the next thought, "instead, I used his own attack against him, slamming him to the ground making the movements for the killing blow." this is another good and powerful section. separating these thoughts helps the flow and makes it less tiring to the reader.
Like i said above its a good story and a very good read. Keep up the good work!

-Disclaimer- I am not a professional writer/editor so my reviews and edits reflect my writing style in a sense. I am not attempting to take over any works just suggesting an alternate template that may or may not sound smoother.