Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Komodo Dragons do have poison

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Joshua Iamalime Zhang

Joshua Iamalime Zhang

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
This is pretty random, but komodo dragons do actually have poison.
http://news.national...agon-venom.html
Ahem.
Carry on, my good fellows.

EDIT: Yes I did make an account to post this.

Edited by Joshua Iamalime Zhang, 25 January 2012 - 04:12 AM.

Kuroiikawa

Kuroiikawa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationXillia
... Wow. Posted Image Pure dedication man. We have an entrance fee by the way. Posted Image Pay up.

PROzess

PROzess

Potato

• Contributor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationGermany
rolf, this is beyond random oO

unf2a.jpg

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
They have bacteria not venom. The guy who got bitten got sick they threated him with alcohol which is the best threatment he can get. but it hurts like hell XD

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

AzureFrost

AzureFrost

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
^did you even read the link in op?

abp10

abp10

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

This is pretty random, but komodo dragons do actually have poison.
http://news.national...agon-venom.html
Ahem.
Carry on, my good fellows.

EDIT: Yes I did make an account to post this.

No they don't, stop ruining my fantasy dragon world with your facts.

Alicepheeze

Alicepheeze

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
Haven´t I adressed this at the Latest Chapter Discussion thread?

Aloop

Aloop

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Its still being debated among biologist as to whether its bacteria or venom that helps kill the victims. Oppenents of the venom theory sites that the way the victims die is unusual for "death by venom" and that dragons who were raised in captivity, and therefore are much more sterile and given clean food (their diet is an important factor in the bacteria theory), do not possess the deadly bite. The only thing biologists agree on is that they have poison glands but there can be other physiological and evolutionary explainations for why they do, explainations that I won't get into.

The manga started in 2009, even if the author was aware of the venom theory, he probably stuck with the traditional bacteria theory because, like I said, its still being debated. There won't be any conclusive agreements until someone do extensive research on their saliva and their victims; you need a shit load of evidence before you can even begin to considere something a "theory" in the sciences.

Hellion Twins

Hellion Twins

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 731 posts
  • LocationKeeling over
To be exact, komodo dragons have neuro toxins that paralyses their prey.

However, the prey they usually prefer (large prey) would not die from their neuro toxins alone.

The reason why this is debated is because more often than not, their prey die from the extremely strong bacteria infection caused by their saliva and mouths, unable to move due to the neuro toxins and hence unable to possibly heal and disinfect the wounds or flee from the komodo dragons' assault.

[Moss have disinfectant purposes. Deer can often be seen rolling in moss to disinfect their battle wounds.]

Disgusting facts:
Komodo dragons have been known to eat their young. Baby Komodos are often found burying and rolling itself in the excrement and rotting carcasses of their parents' prey, to discourage bigger Komodos from eating them. They eat almost everything, including crap filled intestines and sometimes rotting stuff.

^ I've read all that somewhere. If its wrong, let me know.

tumblr_mespwcUZxx1rxs3wso1_400.gif

Manga Recommendation: 21/04/14

Spoiler

A gift from Maia Obanee

raisane

raisane

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
oh i don't know if it's a komodo dragon, but wasn't there a similar animal that eats the whole prey including the bones (giant lizard, so prob komodo dragon) so wouldn't testing on their prey be hard?

Expers

Expers

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTitan's Orbit
So anyone read the recent release, Chapter 44?

Hearsay from a documentary vs. [i]that[i/] doctor's word.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Well someone's going to have to leave a note in the future on the scans about how the scientific position on the matter was different.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Beelz

Beelz

Potato

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationDah bu!

They have bacteria not venom. The guy who got bitten got sick they threated him with alcohol which is the best threatment he can get. but it hurts like hell XD

nope they have venom. Although they would also have masses of bacteria... i'm sure i watched a documentary about them and how their venom stops blood from clotting so their prey will continue to bleed so getting baddly infected would also be apart of the package... then again it was debated for a long time wether they really had venom at all.

The way i see it personally is that the venom doesn't do the killing... either the komodo dragon kills the prey out right or they die from the infection so all the venom does is help the infection take root... so if the blood doesn't clot to protect the wound from the bacterial infection it simply becomes a breeding ground.

I supose it was worth editing since i wasn't happy with how i explained myself. Then again ths is all from memory and even i don't trust my self when it comes to my memory although i do always remember the pointless things.

Edited by Beelz, 04 August 2012 - 06:58 AM.

clamzoopa

clamzoopa

Potato

• Members
  • 164 posts
That article actually makes a mistake as well. The Sea Snake is the most venomous snake in the world.

pantsu

pantsu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 71 posts
I just wanted to say that platypuses have venom too. Yay, platypus! /gets kicked out/

KillerLolipop

KillerLolipop

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Sorry man, your link is 2009, mine is 2012... so it's not poison. It's still bacteria.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2152818/Mystery-Komodo-dragons-poisonous-bite-solved--terrible-dental-hygiene.html

SNMS6

SNMS6

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBogor , West Java , Indonesia

no no no ...

they actually do have a poison . but all that's all . komodo's poison do not lethal as much as TONs of bacteria inside its mouth . The poison is only there to paralyze the victim so they are easier to catch due to komodo's slow moving speed compared to its preys . Their preys will mostly died after run-out of energy and infections .

i can not mention the source but in our national park , the guide explained me about komodo's so called "poisonous bite" .

20801.jpg

19.jpg

veraya

veraya

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDepths of Hell

These are just enormous lizards and the so called 'poisons' are not lethal. The cattle [water buffalo] was introduced by people and they shit around the water reservoirs over there and the bacteria in the water causes these bitten shitters to die and let comodo dragons feed. People don't sleep in their shit, buffalos do. Muddy ponds cool them off r sth like that so when a bite happens the 'cow' has shit everywhere and cools off in a pond where everyone shits..  so basically a universe of toxic bacterias waiting to get in their blood.. It just shows how important it is to watch where you shit :D

As a side note.. these dragons clean themselves thoroughly with grass and anything as they see fit after each meal so that's probably may be yet another shocker to you!  Watch some national geographic or animal planet from time to time, you'll be less prone to spread rumors ;-p

Miki

Miki

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationIn the trash....

So confusing... 

tumblr_mj1tf4Zx0V1s6wcafo1_500.gif                             tumblr_nda9f1laEv1s74qeso2_250.png

Spoiler

mizuto

mizuto

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts
hemotoxic and neurotoxic poison is produced by many of patogenic bacteria.
No member of the Varanidae family has poison producing organ.

A bite of a komodo dragon means infecction, the alcohol reduces to minimum the bacteria numbers so the inmunologic sistem can beat the illnes.