Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Minor translation error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Pillamelai

Pillamelai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSpain
I doubt it can even be considered as a translation error, but whatever.

In chapter 1, page 6, it should be "bienvenido al infierno" (not plural), since she's welcoming one person, not several people.

TMYK!
:batoto_020:

Souldrake

Souldrake

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 275 posts
Hey, I just asked my proofreader, who lives in Spain, and that's what he told me to write. =P

Souldrake
Manga-Heaven Co-Founder and Translator [Retired]

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland
It might be caused by difference of spanish dialects used all over the world, but thanks for telling us~

Retired Manga Cleaner/Redrawer @Manga-Heaven, @kono-basho, @wangan-scans, anonymous and more.
Illustration editor

Light Novel translator

Pillamelai

Pillamelai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSpain
No, it is too basic to have anything to do with dialectics. The problem consists, probably, in lacking context.

If I were to be asked to translate "welcome to hell", I'd also come up with "bienvenidos al infierno", because I'd assume there are several recipients. However, this is certainly not the case, so it has to be "bienvenido al infierno" for shizzle.

And again, I am completely sure people in Latin America would agree with me. Differences between dialects mainly lie within the fields of vocabulary and pronunciation (and some pronouns), but the grammar remains almost the same.

EDIT: Furthermore, if the recipient were to be female, it would be "bienvenida al infierno", and if there were several female recipients (and no male recipients), it would be "bienvenidas al infierno".

Edited by Pillamelai, 25 December 2011 - 10:42 PM.