Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest chapter

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

EterPuralis

EterPuralis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSweden
How come there's no thread like this yet?

Dumbest proposal ever. If i'd been her... I'd have said yes too! Haha

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Sweden
I'm a guy so I flat out refuse to imagine myself being in her position, but I think their whole relationship is adjusted for a younger demographic, which is why the question never was "Is she going to say yes?" but rather "Is he going to pop the question now or will it be stalled?". Though I'm kinda glad that sidetrack is finally over, cuz I really wanna see Mashiro and Azuki now! So far they've jumped between creating manga and relationships, and it has gone round round and round, so I guess it would be weird if they suddenly quit that. And now that Hiramaru x Aoki are a done deal, all that's left is Mashiro x Azuki. Either that or they will introduce a new pairing, which could possibly also include introducing a new character, but it's anyone's guess at this time.

Edited by RhythmiC, 20 December 2011 - 05:42 PM.

EterPuralis

EterPuralis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSweden
Adjusted for a younger demographic? Please. She could have still said no, no matter what the demographic is. Mashiro begins the series thinking his uncle killed himself after all, so there isn't all that much sugar coating, is there?

Besides, i think their romance is perfectly cute and adorable, and i'm looking forward to reading the wedding!

Edited by Eter, 21 December 2011 - 07:30 PM.

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
Well she already turned down Nakai, and they've veery slowly opened up her character for more love, and yeah they could've drawn it out longer (as I already stated with his proposal being stalled). But since this story keeps a fairly happy atmosphere when it comes to relationships, and the fact that their relationship had gone on for quite a while, it would refresh the story by switching the relationship-part* (*Reference to previous comment.) away from them and would at the same time "clear the floor" so to speak, for either a new pairing or Mashiro x Azuki. Oh and to clarify: I wrote that their relationship is adjusted for a younger demographic. Never mentioned that this entire story is. Well in any case, I stick by my previous statement that the question never was "Is she going to say yes?" but rather "Is he going to pop the question now or will it be stalled?". ^^

Edited by RhythmiC, 21 December 2011 - 09:46 PM.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Hmm from this point on, it seems difficult to come up with a situation in which Reversi doesn't get an anime with Azuki (who made some successful achievements) not to get the role of heroine. I think the latter is more likely to happen though.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
@Saphsin: Yeah, unless the author wants to wrap up the story with a double wedding starring Hiramaru x Aoki + Mashiro x Azuki or something like that. ^^ Though I do hope the story will continue so the side-characters will get their "story" wrapped up as well. ^^ But I agree with u Saphsin, that this probably won't reach the ending just yet. One plausible scenario would be that Reversi is turned into an anime as it probably will be, and Mashiro wants Azuki to play the part of the heroine but that she is either too busy with other shows or that she'll come down with some disease thus rendering her unable to participate in the Reversi anime. Kinda like this: Mashiro&Takagi - 'Wiee, our first anime, wohoo!' and this is where he'll phone Azuki where he'll either tell her 'Azuki I want you to be the heroine.' or he'll instead first find out that she's been sent to the hospital or something similar. Either that or it will reach the point where she'll audition and at that time the drama twist will be introduced where she'll be sent to the hospital or something like that. I am betting on a 2nd hospital arc, but this time Azuki is the one who's a patient and Mashiro is the one who spends as much time as possible there. :) Though ofc it can play out completely different, it's not like I can read the author's mind.

Edited by RhythmiC, 21 December 2011 - 11:19 PM.

shyisc

shyisc

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
The manga has been fizzling out for a while now, essentially since around Nanamine's character was introduced. Everything that happened since he was defeated the first time seems to me to be the author's futile attempt re-ignite the manga. What the author should do is put aside almost all of the existing characters and bring in a wave of new authors to sweep through WSJ, similar to how team Fukuda suddenly rose. He should also bring to the front the happenings in Heissho Jump and create a whole new struggle there, one that has a very different nature than the battles within WSJ. If he doesn't do something like this then every week I'll just be thinking "here he goes again, flailing about in a failed attempt to generate some excitement". Not that Bakuman is no longer interesting, but I'm used to it being exciting, and that it hasn't been for me for a long time.

I am interested to see more clearly the reason for the slow sales, and see how Reversi's sales pick up over time, but I don't expect that to be exciting.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I see that this manga has no future. With real battle manga like Naruto you just need a battle that has good emotions and a good dynamic. If things get boring you can just add an interesting new power or opponent. There are limits, of course, but they are not as severe as they are for a manga like Bakuman. There's a reason why Death Note, which was about a battle of wits, only lasted about 13 volumes. Bakuman is even less of a battle manga than Death Note, as there are no real battles of any kind, merely struggles and rivalries. Now that the main characters have proven themselves to be pros who can easily churn out new hit series the battles are no longer interesting, because they are all manufactured. If you compare this to Naruto, almost all of the battles in Naruto have been interesting. It's only after Naruto beat the Kyuubi that the manga has started to get stale. That's over 500 exciting chapters! Bleach didn't do as well, but also has over 400 interesting chapters, and One Piece has over 600 interesting chapters. I'm comparing it to the big 3 because it is on their level, however, it seems to be a law of nature that a manga can't go on forever and not get stale, just as the Big 3 have lately gotten stale. One Piece and Naruto became stale very suddenly, while with Bleach it has been happening very gradually since the end of the SS arc, but then took a sudden dive after Aizen was defeated. For a manga like Bakuman the lifespan is much shorter. If we compare to Gamaran, Gamaran is a vary steady battle manga. It never gets boring, but never gets exciting either. It's simply interesting. This is okay for Gamaran since it has been like this from the start and it works, but Bakuman is written to be exciting, and when an exciting manga ceases to be exciting it may survive on momentum, but there is a sense of disappointment and as a result interest can drop lower than if it wasn't designed to be exciting to begin with.

All this means is that unless the author can really shake things up then Bakuma should end soon, for it's own sake and the sake of those readers who prefer quality over length, and it would be the same choice that the author portrayed in his manga as the right choice for this type of manga!

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
@shyisc Eeeh, well, I'll agree with you on the fact that Bakuman has gotten a slower tempo than before. But you're stating a lot of your own personal views as being facts, and that's just not very clever. You shouldn't compare slice of life mangas to battle mangas (No, this is NOT a battle manga!) because that is like comparing the matrix to a romantic comedy. This manga has always had them persevering through challenges which they face, and they don't always win. But I'm very curious as to see what will happen with their fight through life, because I'm facing somewhat similar aspects in my own which makes me able to relate. Not everything has to be exciting, which is a bit strange in a Jump manga, but it's understandable if this manga is meant to draw in older readers for Jump. If you like battle mangas that much then I recommend you read those instead. And yes, I'm following all of those mangas you listed, as well.

shyisc

shyisc

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
@RhythmiC
Bakuman may be a slice-of-life manga, but it is implemented in the format of an intense battle manga. As such, it primarily generates interest through exciting struggles and confrontations, just like a battle manga. It now seems obvious to me that the further a battle manga is removed from actual battles, the shorter its lifespan. By lifespan I mean the time before it ceases to be exciting. Bakuman seems to have reached the end of its lifespan in its current form. It can still go on, but only if its fundamental nature changes from being a battle manga to being something else, or if the author manages to extend its lifespan by reigniting the battles.

Really, it seems the author of Bakuman doesn't take his main character's advice. Mashiro said it would be better for Reversi to be short so long as the quality is high, yet the author has (sort of) been stretching out Bakuman. If the author can't save Bakuman then I'd rather see a manga like Death Note that is only a little longer than it had to be.

And why disparage me for wanting Bakuman to maintain it's previous standard rather than see it get stretched out? It's not like I'm saying everything should be a battle manga, I'm only pointing out that Bakuman already is and has always been a battle manga from the very beginning, but that it is faltering because it can't keep that up. If you'll notice, I mentioned Gamaran as well, which is a low-intensity battle manga, of a very different nature than Naruto and the like.

I read manga of many genres, except for horror and gore. I usually go for high-intensity battle manga like Naruto or Bakuman, but I just as easily read stuff like Kannagi, Kamisama Hajimemashita, Gamaran, Red River, Crazy Girl Shin-Bia, Blood Alone, Ryushika Ryushika, Neko de Gomen, Mysterious Girlfriend X, and most recently 1/2 Prince, Close Up, Poison Princess, and Orange Chocolate (one of the best series I've read or watched so far, along with Worst, Death Note, Code Geass, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop). I keep a loose list of all the manga and anime I've read or watched, and the count now is at over 140.It would take me all day to type them in, and I didn't even write down all the ones I got started on in the past few weeks.

Edited by shyisc, 02 January 2012 - 10:31 PM.

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
@shyisc This is a drama story centering on 2 kids growing up to be mangakas, with shounen, comedy and slice of life twists and turns in it. But you're for some reason interpreting these elements as being a "battle manga"? I'll write it again and again: This is NOT a battle manga! Their lives have merely reached a higher step on the ladder of life. If everything went like a frikkin' rollercoaster then this story would lose it's touch of reality. I'm glad the tempo has slowed down, because they give off the impression of being more like adults now.

Edit to answer shyisc's post below: How about thinking that this is filled with adventures with clear goals instead of "battles"? Kind of like they find new mountaintops to reach all the time, and the excitement derives from their struggle to reach each mountaintop. This example is to illustrate the source of what you at this moment call "battles". And Saphsin I wouldn't call this a psychological battle manga either, because it fails to meet the prerequisite for being defined as a battle. They aren't exchanging "blows" in one way or another, but rather they are each participating in a "competition" to reach the top. I got it that u didn't wanna argue about terminology but I thought I'd just have my say that this is not a battle manga in any shape or form. I'm gonna stop answering this thread too, because I don't feel like I have anything relevant to say anymore. I'll continue checking the thread like once a month or so, but I don't recommend waiting for an answer from me.

Edited by RhythmiC, 09 January 2012 - 01:43 AM.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
If he thinks it's a battle manga, leave him be. <.< If he was talking about psychological battles we can just argue about terminology but that's not what bakuman is really about so... yeah.

shyisc

shyisc

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
I'm not saying it's bad for Bakuman to stop being a battle manga, but that it can't continue being one without a major change. If it stops being a battle manga then it may lose fans who liked it for the thrills, but I will probably continue reading it.

Edited by shyisc, 08 January 2012 - 08:54 AM.

EterPuralis

EterPuralis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSweden
Hiramaru germ.. *points towards self* Yes. Now let's all stop being so hoity toity and let's have fu~n! Zzzzz

Astrid

Astrid

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGakuen Toshi
i'm so annoyed at this manga right now. why is there a discussion of anime when the manga only has 2 volumes? Jump NEVER sells manga to animation companies when the series is only 2 volumes long. Also Hattori says Reversi's been serialized for nearly a year, dude no series sells only 2 volumes a year unless it's HXH. they usually sell at least 4. it's all so exaggerated now. >_>

ao_no_exorcist_by_hagane_girl-d4i0f9t.pn

djabea

djabea

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
I was so happy that Ashirogi Muto had a better chance this time at getting an anime, but of course it couldn't be that easy.
Lately Niizuma is getting quite competitve he's not butching one single inch. Well, I like him like that he isn't untouchable anymore.
Thanks for the work.

CH.164

I'm so happy for them, I also had tears in my eyes. The only thing that disturbs me is that they still haven't introduced a female main character. Without her how could Azuki take part in the anime?

Again thanks for the work

Edited by djabea, 29 January 2012 - 10:43 PM.

Asahina

Asahina

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
I think I can die happy now.
Even better yet, the Bakuman anime will have no choice but to show some sneak-peaks of the Reversi anime whenever it catches up to this part of the story. And I would love to see Reversi is some sort of animated action with my own eyes.

Posted Image

daedalron

daedalron

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

The only thing that disturbs me is that they still haven't introduced a female main character. Without her how could Azuki take part in the anime?

That's exactly what I was wondering too...

MGIBBS

MGIBBS

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Locationwoodbridge, sufflok, England
Not much of the reversi characters are known only the two main ones and a basic understanding of plot. You can garantee that within first couple chapters Azuki character was introduced since it was designed with possible anime in mind. Bakuman is still interesting to me, you can tell its winding down so some of the tension is gone, but to me its still interesting.
In reguards to post number #14 you forget this is manga and time can jump. The story was about volume sales up to second volume then it skiped to a year later where they were discussing animes. If a series is really interesting and popular i'm sure they are top secret talks between jump and anime companies, PCP had proposals early on.
In the chapter where they talk about if a story should be long running or short the mangaka in my opinion was giving hints that bakuman was coming to an end. This manga was always about the guy getting the girl i.e getting the anime. The journey as it were was intersting in giving a realistic view of becoming a mangaka but like the manga said if the story is stretched out too much to increase its life, since mangaka are trying to make a living, the quality of the piece as a whole is brought down. Bakuman has reached that point if the story isn't moved forward soon it may get canceled before the mangaka can end it like he planned. E.G Yume to aetara had too much drama it should have ended sooner. Even though it seems to be coming to an end it can still take its time to wrap up the stories of side characters.
As to post #7 one piece is still interesting its pace has slowed down as the arcs are a bit too long, since the war of the best, buts its still interesting now that they've powered up. Naruto i'll admit got stale for a while but has goten interesting again now that he and nine tails are partners. Bleach was boring to me after 100 chapters i never really got into it. Everyones tastes are different what matters are the questionairs and tankubon sales as to wether they continue. one piece never really had an ending in mind from the begining like romance stories do even if luffy becomes pirate king he can still have adventures so long as the story doesn't become stale and is still interesting. its so well planned they dont just bring in new elements to keep it interesting there is so much forshadowing in one piece and not just scenes that were random and become forshadowing at a later date. there seems to be a sub plot that will be big when it all comes together like a battle against the world government itself and its been brewing since they entered the grand line. For a plot like this it was most likely planned early on when one piece became popular enough for longer story arcs and the realisation of a long running series. The success of long running manga in my opinion is a good central plot that is slowly introduced to bait the reader into wanting more with lots of interesting side stories that are part of a bigger picture.

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts

The only thing that disturbs me is that they still haven't introduced a female main character. Without her how could Azuki take part in the anime?

That's exactly what I was wondering too...

Did they even go too much into the details of the manga....and I recall having them involve a heroine that's captured under one of the main character's control in the story.

Genesis

Genesis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
They showed her in the latest chapter... and on that. I don't really see what fatty mcslob bag can even do. >_>