Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Laughing in the face of tragedy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Metroxylon

Metroxylon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

I just heard that a friend had gotten in accident and required to take head surgery and a different friend's dad just died.

I unconsciously was going to laugh but my conscience held my laugh to really happen.

It caused me to look like someone that is going to cry.

My others friend, that I was chatting with, thought that I was going emotional and offered me some consoling words.

Fortunately no one realized I was actually containing laughter Edit: had been actually almost laughing.

I have been feeling really sad for almost laughing there.

Do you have some similar moment?

If you are willing please share it here.

Edited by Metroxylon, 06 March 2017 - 03:33 PM.

Frankness is good, frankness is ma friend, frankness help mi undastand relationship. (Hick Citizen #1)

DarkPrince

DarkPrince

Cute Potato

• Members
  • 4,800 posts
  • Location「Between Brackets」
I can understand not feeling sympathy towards such tragedies (even more so when its not directly related to you). That's common.

I can understand the urge to indulge in dark humour in such events as well. That is more twisted, but not at all uncommon.

But to straight up get ecstatic to the point you cannot contain your laughter. You are undoubtedly a special case, Metroxylon. Either that or you're trying hard to be edgy.

Assuming its the former, I'd love to know what you found funny in this instance. As in, can you explain your emotions? Genuinely curious.

Edit:
I'm not sure but on re-reading I'm slightly paranoid I might have come off a wee bit douche-y right there .-.

For clarification: Look at my post like its an invitation to discuss what happened.

I wouldn't doubt we're all weird in some way. I can never imagine myself laughing in a similar situation and I'm pretty sure I never would but there could be other scenarios where I'm the one acting in a twisted/different manner.

Edited by DarkPrince, 06 March 2017 - 12:17 PM.

I T ' S   O N L Y   F U N   I F   T H E Y   R U N

Metroxylon

Metroxylon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

The particular things that i found funny was that sad things happens so suddenly and consecutively (The death 9 am, the accidents 12 am) like it is a story.

and how will the characters react to the event. and how a drama can just suddenly unfold into an ordinary life.

That was my first thoughts on hearing the news.

What makes me looks like going to cry was not the containing laughter itself but it was my anger to myself after realizing how improper to thing such a silly thought first in the moment.

After some thought, I think it happens because I read too much tragedy story.

So I write this post because I want to know is there any other people that experienced the same.

Sorry for awkward and unclear wording.

My english writing skill have long not been polished again.

Frankness is good, frankness is ma friend, frankness help mi undastand relationship. (Hick Citizen #1)

i dont know

i dont know

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

some say its a defense mechanism 

SystematicChaos

SystematicChaos

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLocation, location, location

Speaking as someone who's had some training as a psychological counsellor, I don't think your reaction was as uncommon as you might fear it is. Suddenly hearing about tragedy striking those close to you is a shocking experience that can cause yourself to be flooded with emotions. In a state like that, it's hard to control how those emotions come out, and sometimes they come out in a way that's not socially appropriate (such as laughing). This happens to many different people, and it is normal. Some people don't even feel anything at all. This is also normal, and you also can't control it because you can't make yourself feel anything. This is what happened to myself: I felt nothing when I heard that my grandfather died, and it wasn't until the memorial service four months later that the emotions hit me like a load of bricks.

The same thing can happen with your thoughts: We don't have control over what thoughts pop into our head, and sometimes the first thought that comes into your head can be really inappropriate for the situation. But thoughts are just thoughts; no more and no less. Thoughts can't hurt you, and thoughts don't make things true. The fact that you had the thought does not mean something is wrong with you. The fact that the thought gave your raw emotions a release in a way that is socially inappropriate does not mean something is wrong with you. These were things you had no control over, and from what I gather from your posts, it seems to me like they are not consistent with who you are as a person because you immediately recognized that they were wrong. We call this "egodystonic". If these thoughts and responses were egosyntonic (consistent with who you believe yourself to be), there would be a problem (on the other hand, you wouldn't think there was a problem).

It's important to be aware of what's going on inside you, and how your emotions and thoughts work. But fixating on a thought, feeling guilty that you had a certain thought or a certain emotional response, or trying to control your thoughts can lead to bigger problems. There's no use in feeling guilty or angry at yourself over something you had no control over, and trying to control the uncontrollable is a waste of your mental energy. Instead, I encourage you to be mindful of your thoughts and emotions, examine them without judgment and with curiosity, then let them go.

TOKI DIED FOR OUR SINS

Visit http://www.hokutonogun.com/ for all the MANga you can handle!

Metroxylon

Metroxylon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

some say its a defense mechanism

Human really have a lot of things he needs to defend himself from.

These were things you had no control over, and from what I gather from your posts, it seems to me like they are not consistent with who you are as a person because you immediately recognized that they were wrong. We call this "egodystonic". If these thoughts and responses were egosyntonic (consistent with who you believe yourself to be), there would be a problem (on the other hand, you wouldn't think there was a problem).

It's important to be aware of what's going on inside you, and how your emotions and thoughts work.
...I encourage you to be mindful of your thoughts and emotions, examine them without judgment and with curiosity, then let them go.

I'll do. Your words really help me. Thank you.

Edited by Metroxylon, 12 March 2017 - 07:52 AM.