Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Add genre filter or blacklisting to Latest Updates/Homepage

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Moist

Moist

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I know I can use advanced search/genre search/advanced options, and just click on the desired or undesired genres to include or exclude with the red and green icons... but no such feature exists (as far as I can see) on the main homepage of batoto or the [Recently added Comics] column to the right.

I like finding new or random things to read in the Latest Updates/homepage, but genres are unable to be filtered out--everything that's updated is shown there. It'd be great if some filter or blacklist feature is implemented (ideally site-wide, or in user profiles) so we never have to see or click on a title only to find out it's an undesired genre, i.e Tragedy or Yaoi.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Ah, c'mon, this has been brought up so many, many times..........not to mention this thread is the exact same suggestion as this..

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/14048-a-way-to-filter-latest-updates/

and that one's just two threads below on the suggestions forum from the brand, spanking, new one you just started here >_<

bb0a911bf1.jpg

Tn7HA0h.png

Moist

Moist

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

Ah, c'mon, this has been brought up so many, many times..........not to mention this thread is the exact same suggestion as this..

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/14048-a-way-to-filter-latest-updates/

and that one's just two threads below on the suggestions forum from the brand, spanking, new one you just started here >_<

bb0a911bf1.jpg

Apologies. To my defense though, I didn't see it there before posting (wasn't on my screen at the time like it is now). And as you can probably tell from my profile on the left, I'm but a potato sprout on the forums (never really saw a need or want to go read forums much). And from the oldest thread I see was from 4 years ago...Given how many times it's requested, perhaps it should be a little higher on the list of priorities, no? Well, if any mods want to they can feel free to delete this thread since there's already one.

Edited by Moist, 22 February 2017 - 09:22 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

It's no biggie, don't worry about it :)

Yeah, the fact that it's never been done (as it's been asked for so often) suggests to me that it most likely ties in to "money", as in site traffic, which equals revenue. 

You might only want to exclude a tag or two, but I (and the 500,000 or so people beside me) might take the opportunity to exclude all the tags but say one or two..........then all of a sudden we're all on the front page (and wherever else on the site this filter is working) a fraction of the time (and seeing a fraction of the ads) we would be if we were seeing all the content the site wanted to show us.

So yeah, my guess is, it sounds like a  lot better idea to all the customers than it does to the store :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

It's no biggie, don't worry about it :)

Yeah, the fact that it's never been done (as it's been asked for so often) suggests to me that it most likely ties in to "money", as in site traffic, which equals revenue. 

You might only want to exclude a tag or two, but I (and the 500,000 or so people beside me) might take the opportunity to exclude all the tags but say one or two..........then all of a sudden we're all on the front page (and wherever else on the site this filter is working) a fraction of the time (and seeing a fraction of the ads) we would be if we were seeing all the content the site wanted to show us.

So yeah, my guess is, it sounds like a  lot better idea to all the customers than it does to the store :D

More likely it comes down to a matter of processing power. It takes a lot less power to, say, pull the latest 100 entries into the database as there's no searching needed for that. Quick and simple. Plus, as long as nothing has been uploaded recently, the page can be cached by Cloudflare and served even faster without ANY processing power required. This drives down server costs.

If everybody had their own front page, that's 100 releases that the database has to sort through to find, for each visitor, every time they visit the front page. Much more resource intensive, and much harder to cache.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

More likely it comes down to a matter of processing power. It takes a lot less power to, say, pull the latest 100 entries into the database as there's no searching needed for that. Quick and simple. Plus, as long as nothing has been uploaded recently, the page can be cached by Cloudflare and served even faster without ANY processing power required. This drives down server costs.

If everybody had their own front page, that's 100 releases that the database has to sort through to find, for each visitor, every time they visit the front page. Much more resource intensive, and much harder to cache.

Ah, interesting, a more "technical" view on the  matter (which, yeah, sounds plenty reasonable to me as well).....and yeah, this also sounds like it still comes down to "money" then, eh? :D

Ah well, whichever/however/whyever, I've said it often enough before, the running of a site like this one is a business just like the gas station/convenience store on the corner.......that kinda has to be taken into account on some of the things we might like to have/get as "customers" and whether or not it's reasonable to expect to actually get them or not  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Aruseus493

Aruseus493

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew Atlantis

I too would like a filter for the front page. I like to pick up random series, but the amount of Yaoi stuff has kind of turned me away from that.

infernotez

infernotez

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I too would like a filter for the front page. I like to pick up random series, but the amount of Yaoi stuff has kind of turned me away from that.

Maybe then we could have 3-4 options. One that that is with everything, one without yoai, one without yuri and one without both? I mean the site would be 100x more useful for searching if we could at least get rid of that kinda stuff.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

one without yoai, one without yuri and one without both?

Easy peasy, user side fix......don't look at it :)

Tn7HA0h.png