Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Saiko+ Banner Opt Out?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

vhirx

vhirx

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNY State

Uh... cool job securing the deal with Saiko.  That's all well and good.

But I'm not going to be reading them, and the display IS huge, taking up half of the space I allot vertically to Firefox in my main computer's browser.

I'm aware that you presently have a donation feature to allow users to remove the ads on the site. 

Will there be a way to remove or at the very least COMPRESS this new interface? 

Thanks.

Edit:  Even a little collapse button like is seen elsewhere would be excellent. 

Edited by vhirx, 09 September 2016 - 08:30 AM.

Autism

Autism

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLangley, Virginia

If you're using an adblocker, you can manually set filters and block whatever you wish. I did and it looks fine.

On a side note, I don't think they'll make it any smaller. The amount of money Batoto receives is likely tied to just how obtrusive the Saiko display actually is.

If enough people make a ruckus, maybe they'll change it  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  .

1Suspect

1Suspect

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Where was the announcement for the Saiko deal? I can't seem to find anything on the forum relating to it.

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

Saiko?

*Googles*

"This site may be hacked."

:mellow:

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

rpapo

rpapo

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA

Did you notice everything they advertise is Manhua?  Not that any of the titles interested me anyway.

Edited by rpapo, 09 September 2016 - 09:59 AM.

Caek

Caek

Lief, Loev, Caek.

• Contrib Mods
  • 365 posts
  • LocationDiabetes

Hiya folks!

The original Saiko+ announcement.

I'm not really sure if Batoto receives money for the banner. Would be nice to see Grumpy post an official release announcement to follow up.

Feel free to message me about the Saiko+ arrangement, if you're interested in knowing what my experience is with it as a translator.

~ Caek

hMrVQCm.gif

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I can't imagine there'll be any modifications to that banner at all........and most definitely not a way to "collapse" it and thus hide it entirely.

That's not an add, folks, that's this site's promotion of their effort to bring us even more of what we're all here for.....English language, manga/manhwa style comics. If you're not interested in those particular titles, well, that's just the way it is and all, but in the big picture it's a good thing .......well, as long as it's not the precursor of all the fan-scanlated stuff disappearing from the site that is :D

And, I don't know, I see at least one of those titles I've got quite a bit of interest in........we'll see :)

Edited by svines85, 09 September 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

vhirx

vhirx

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNY State

That's not an add, folks, that's this site's promotion of their effort to bring us even more of what we're all here for.....English language, manga/manhwa style comics. If you're not interested in those particular title, well, that's just the way it is and all, but in the big picture it's a good thing .......well, as long as it's not the precursor of all the fan-scanlated stuff disappearing from the site that is :D

That doesn't mean that the titles have to be that LARGE or that they can't be embedded in a collapsible banner or equipped with additional preferences. 

Official content up with a creator's say-so is a good thing.  But the way that's rolled out is critical.  IMO, this is garish and inconvenient.  And I've joined the flock of people using adblock to disable the Saiko+ images.  (I actually leave up the Bato.to ads.  Heh.)   That's probably not what Saiko+ wants either.  These things need to be smaller, collapsible, or better integrated into the site.

Meh.  I don't see 'em anymore.  But I don't like the solution I've been forced to adopt.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Spoiler

Your call. Yes, I have little doubt I could have my adblock stuff target that banner and hide it for me.........I'm not gonna, cuz it's not really that big of a deal. It's a little eye-chatching (duh), particularly at first.......but again, not a big deal.

And who knows, if I block it I might miss out on them adding new titles I might want to check out :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Oliverfr

Oliverfr

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts

Otherwise, guys, you can add this rule to Adblock Plus filters, it disables the DIV containing the Saiko+ content.

bato.to##.exclusive_titles

This is an extreme measure, as it disappears entirely and forever (unless Batoto changes the class or re-codes the stuff. It took me 4 minutes to google how to make myself a personal filter, I imagine it will take 40 seconds to make it unblockable as retortion, huhu)

Personally, after reviewing, I didn't hesitate as none of the Saiko titles, and even their style of content, were to my liking, but I suggest you think twice before blocking it entirely and forever.

Edited by Oliverfr, 09 September 2016 - 11:06 PM.

GodricKharg

GodricKharg

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNorth of Niagara Falls... Someplace...

Otherwise, guys, you can add this rule to Adblock Plus filters, it disables the DIV containing the Saiko+ content.

bato.to##.exclusive_titles

This is an extreme measure, as it disappears entirely and forever (unless Batoto changes the class or re-codes the stuff. It took me 4 minutes to google how to make myself a personal filter, I imagine it will take 40 seconds to make it unblockable as retortion, huhu)

Personally, after reviewing, I didn't hesitate as none of the Saiko titles, and even their style of content, were to my liking, but I suggest you think twice before blocking it entirely and forever.

hate dong that, but it takes up too much of my screen space for my liking.

Every once in a while I disable adblocker, for all of 5-10 minutes, so Im sure I'll see it again eventually.  In lue of that tho I have this feeling I should make a donation sometime soon to Batoto...

I write fanfiction
https://www.fanfiction.net/~godrickharg
3 SEKIREI stories
1 Nisekoi short oneshot
1 freezing x Sekirei crossover

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

In lue of that tho I have this feeling I should make a donation sometime soon to Batoto...

Just to be sure, the banner is still visible to donators. I'm a donator and, yeah, it's there. Only actual ads disappear with the donation perk.

Tn7HA0h.png

Natureboy

Natureboy

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdeep in the forest

Yup.  Have the banner but not the ads.  FYI, the banner doesn't bother me much, but I'm using a fairly high-end panel with more spare real estate than most readers.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

When I was adding this, I didn't even think of this as an ad. All I was thinking was that this was something we can truly call "ours" and just ours. It is licensed to Batoto and translated by the community of Batoto. But I can see how it can be annoying. Funnily enough, they only gave me 7 titles even though I asked for 8 or more, so there was a gap in the tiles. So I actually whipped up the saiko+ banner one, figuring it's best gap filler. But that one is now making it all look like an ad. :P

I personally see the section as more of a new part of layout than an ad. Something that might be more worthy of attention.

I've added an X button on the section. Button will remove the entire section and won't display anymore for the session. I hope that's enough. So it's easy to reset, lasts indefinitely and doesn't clutter with multiple options.

The amount of money Batoto receives is likely tied to just how obtrusive the Saiko display actually is.

I don't know what kind of establishment you think we run here... But that amount comes out to a total of zero.

We get exclusive licenses in return for promotion.

vhirx

vhirx

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNY State

Biiiig thanks for your understanding and attention about this, Grumpy.  I really appreciate it. =)

Wess

Wess

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThe Void
I've added an X button on the section. Button will remove the entire section and won't display anymore for the session. I hope that's enough. So it's easy to reset, lasts indefinitely and doesn't clutter with multiple options.

For some reason it doesn't work for me...even after I click the X to close it, it always come backs every time I refresh the page to check for new updates.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

For some reason it doesn't work for me...even after I click the X to close it, it always come backs every time I refresh the page to check for new updates.

Hmm... seems to happen for me too on some browsers. The "hide_exclusive" cookie with the value of "1" doesn't get created after clicking the X in these cases, though adding such cookie manually "solves" the problem. cbb investigating further atm.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm just assuming that's how it's supposed to work. The man did say it would last "for the session", which I just take it to mean as long as you're on the home page......i.e. if you refresh the page it comes back.

How is this a big deal? Just freaking click the x again >_<

Tn7HA0h.png

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

I'm just assuming that's how it's supposed to work. The man did say it would last "for the session", which I just take it to mean as long as you're on the home page......i.e. if you refresh the page it comes back.

How is this a big deal? Just freaking click the x again >_<

it means until you logout/close the browser/get session timeout, unless your settings keep session cookies from expiring. sessions are meant to remember stuff you set or do on a website as you navigate its pages.

It may or may not be a big deal, or maybe he simply reported the button not working as intended for him.

if you're getting the same behaviour as Wess, add the cookie I mentioned in the above post and try refreshing the front page or (re)navigating to it.
============

*poke*

unrelated to the above, this happens if I reload with cache override (ctrl + f5)

Spoiler
(two rows of thumbnails in one + add comic/chapter buttons hidden under them)
normal refreshing and renavigating to the front page work fine

just before the thumbs load (different browser hence different theme) :
Spoiler

I assume this happens when someone visits batoto for the first time?

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Spoiler

have no intention of ever closing that banner, am appalled at the actions of the handful of people who came here to complain about that banner in the slightest way.

Do any of you people that came here to complain about getting something for free have any idea what the proverb "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"  means? What about the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" one? Does that one strike any chords with you in light of this conversation/your actions?

Tn7HA0h.png