Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
My point, other than to be as confusing as possible, is that the addition of further choices has no bearing on the situation. It may mean more options to weigh, but it does not lean any more or less towards one system of morality or another.

Anyway, human morality (in my less than priceless opinion) stems from the social hierarchy set up and the interactions between members of our species (sorry if this is rather vague and dull, but...). Partly through genetics, partly through education (though the balance remains to be seen)... Certain behavioral tendencies beneficial to self and species are passed on. Nature is imprecise. We may face a slightly unfamiliar situation, which leads to different possible outcomes based off of preset behavioral patterns. The introduction of language allows for the further development of certain guidelines as to normative behavior. Basically a whole lot of give and take occur. We have come to our idea of what is morally "valid" over many years, and it is a combination of nature and nurture that led to this point. Morality on a societal and individual (perhaps these are not the best words, but I don't particularly feel like thinking?) level differ. Over time, societies come up with moral codes to follow, often differing subtly from society to society based upon differing environmental pressures (which result in learning to deal with situations in different ways, which language allows us to pass down). Yada yada yada

In a nutshell, I view morality as resulting from the attempt to reconcile how we are told to react in a certain situation (by our brain or society as the case may be) with our introduction to an unfamiliar situation and from there how we think vs. how others think. I believe that there are a number of commonalities between one society and the next (and one person and the next for that matter), but there are also some subtle and not so subtle differences. Some of that difference may be genetic sure, but a lot of it simply has to do with how that society formed over time. As to what makes a moral statement valid... I do not treat a statement such as "killing is wrong" the same as "1+1=2". For me, the "validity" of a moral statement is determined by it's acceptability as truth to society as a whole (which often means "validity" is rather transient really). Much of the weight I place upon morality is purely emotional. Some might find that more than a little controversial, but...

This post could clearly use a lot of work, but I'll leave it as is for the moment because I seriously have to study.

Edited by ragnarok_water, 30 November 2011 - 02:15 PM.

Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

Haganai

Haganai

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationBatoto
Alright i have a new question.

and don't troll me!
So i've been wondering about something..
This website:

http://www.infowars.com/

What are your though about it?
Do you believe it it, or do you not?

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
Well, I'd like to preface this by saying I haven't actually read or watched the news in over a year (at least as far as politics is concerned). I didn't even know about the tsunami in Japan until about three weeks after the fact when one of my professors mentioned it in class. As such, I'm probably not the best person to ask so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said... upon looking, there is a lot of material in that link. Is there anything in particular you are interested in? It's a bit much to respond to.

As for my thoughts about it, I don't particularly care. I'm not much of a "nation" person really. I leave the caring to those who are still young (in heart, at the very least).

In any case whatever that link provides as far as I'm concerned is immaterial. The problem is much more basic than that. We don't adapt, we die. We can't adapt. Large nations may possess more power, but if it comes at the cost of adaptability then the sands of time will be merciless. We are a snake that has turned upon itself. Join and die. :)

Do I think that recent events are necessarily the end of us as a nation? Nope. Do I think those in power are to blame? Nope. Do I care? Well I kind of have class now so... yes, but only from a social issues standpoint, in which case you may call me liberal if you must, though I prefer a different term.
Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

Haganai

Haganai

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationBatoto
Spoiler

Anyway, ignore the thing about my question, this is not a place where i should ask about this

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
hrmmm... I have a question. Kind of... I guess... sort of...
Spoiler

The above will be my epitaph, and my message to the future generations (in english... it would be longer, but my great great great grandchildren can't afford it, and I figure the odds of anybody even attempting an answer are low enough as it is. I have a lot to say, you know? ). What is it?

Should be crackable. The only one that's a bit difficult is the "4" since that requires a little manipulation.

Edited by CHeezeMaggot, 13 December 2011 - 04:17 AM.

oh darn.

Equiliz

Equiliz

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Locationin your mind
@CHeezeMaggot: I can't seem to decipher it...

I have a question too. For the people who ever played Baldurs Gate 2, you'll recognize it :).

Question:

You wake up in a closed off small room and the only thing that's there is a big red button. Then you hear a voice who says:
"You have been captured. To save yourself you must press the button, but if you do your best friend who has also been captured will die. He is in a room that resembles yours. After one hour, if you haven't pressed but your friend has, he/she will be free. If you have pressed and he/she hasn't, you are free. If none of you have or both, you both will die. What will you do?"

So what will you do?

Edited by Equiliz, 24 December 2011 - 06:55 PM.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." Howard Thurman

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." Albert Einstein

Visit my deviantart

Autumn

Autumn

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • LocationBelgium
@CHeezeMaggot: will think about it.

@Equiliz:

Spoiler

Edited by Autumn, 24 December 2011 - 05:44 PM.

*Ninja'd since... 2011*

Also... can't seem to do calculations properly

"Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone" (Paul Verlaine)

-> if you're bored and don't know french, you can always try to (google-)TL this^^

Equiliz

Equiliz

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Locationin your mind
O yes I was wrong btw.

I need to make a change. It's not the first who presses.
After one hour, if you haven't pressed but your friend has, he/she will be free. If you have pressed and he/she hasn't, you are free. If none of you have or both, you both will die.

I kinda hate that question :).

Edited by Equiliz, 24 December 2011 - 06:55 PM.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." Howard Thurman

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." Albert Einstein

Visit my deviantart

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.

@CHeezeMaggot: I can't seem to decipher it...

Hint:
Spoiler

As to your question, I'm not entirely sure whether it is supposed to be a riddle or a question of morality but... examining the wording of the question, there is no mention as to you dying if your friend presses the button. So I would not press the button, and point this out to my captor and allow him to clarify the situation. Assuming I would die if my friend pushed it, I still probably wouldn't push it since I know my friends well enough at this point to realize the alternative would lead to mutually assured destruction. If it was somebody I didn't know in the other room, then I'd probably press the button. They might press it too, but if they turn out to be a real softie, well, no point in both of us dying (and I'm going to prioritize my own life... sorry!). One might call this murder, but it's really no different than a ship without enough lifeboats. Getting in is analogous to pressing the button. Granted, in the lifeboat scenario you can talk to one another and make certain decisions such as "woman and children first" or "every man for himself" but the basic concept is the same. Too many people=lifeboat will sink and people die. No people=lifeboat unused and people die. The button situation however adds a certain element, and that is the unknown. You don't know that your friend is in another room. You don't know if pressing that button will actually kill your friend. It may kill you. It may be a test, and perhaps not pressing means you pass but it could be the opposite. All that you know of your situation is that which has been imparted to you by nought but a mysterious disembodied voice. Herein lies an interesting part of this hypothetical. Given no other apparent options, would you blindly follow what (quite literally) is the voice of authority?

It's kind of a scary thought, but I would. I'm not the kind of person to question the "truth" if there seems to be no practical gain in doing so. If offered a solution, then I would take it even if (albeit indirectly) possibly at the cost of others. When catastrophe strikes, we have a tendency to listen to people not because they are wise, but because they say something.

Edited by CHeezeMaggot, 29 December 2011 - 07:08 PM.

oh darn.

n/aㅤㅤ

n/aㅤㅤ

Potato

• Members
  • 157 posts
If I turned you into a zombie, would you be happy?~
=^^=

Eracuel

Eracuel

Russet Potato

• Members