Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Downloadable content

- - - - -

Best Answer Daktyl, 21 June 2016 - 03:54 AM

Well, first of all we changed how the reader works. It's not a multi-page setup like before, and instead uses JavaScript to re-inject content into a portion of the page. This helps with load times and server processing power.

Second, Grumpy added extra measures against bots and other such tools used to "scrape" (en masse downloading of chapters) Batoto's content and host it on other sites. This could also be affecting you.

Advice as a user: edit your scripts/downloaders to use the new URL scheme and look for the specific part/image of the page being changed. Also set them up on a timer to get maybe 1 image every 15 or so seconds.

Advice as a staff member: Since the point of this is to not have to use the reader, at the very least I would suggest using a downloading script that downloads the whole page (ads and all) then keeps the image and discards the rest. Takes more bandwidth, but helps more than you'd think. If you visit the IRC, I swear there was somebody in there who figured out how to do it. Haven't visited myself in a while though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Side-note, only about 60-70%% of internet users use adblock, and of those there are a significant majority that turns it off on sites that they like (e.g. Batoto, Youtube, etc) so that the site still gets ad money.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

SomeDuderr

SomeDuderr

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEarth

I'm sure this has come up before, but the search results didn't manage to show anything relevant so here goes.

In the past, I've been able to download chapters/volumes from Bato.to - was this changed recently? I'm using stuff like WGET and JDownloader to download the content I want and read it with the applications I want to use. While I understand that you guys rely on advertisementrupees to stay afloat, I also don't think it would hurt your income to allow these unconventional download methods (Besides, who can even see the ads nowadays, with adblock extensions/plug-ins/edited hosts file... Hell, even MS Edge will support this stuff) and would get you a lof of good will from those that don't wanna read comics behind a computer.

Unless this draws too much heat from a legal standpoint, in which case I can understand completely.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA
✓  Best Answer

Well, first of all we changed how the reader works. It's not a multi-page setup like before, and instead uses JavaScript to re-inject content into a portion of the page. This helps with load times and server processing power.

Second, Grumpy added extra measures against bots and other such tools used to "scrape" (en masse downloading of chapters) Batoto's content and host it on other sites. This could also be affecting you.

Advice as a user: edit your scripts/downloaders to use the new URL scheme and look for the specific part/image of the page being changed. Also set them up on a timer to get maybe 1 image every 15 or so seconds.

Advice as a staff member: Since the point of this is to not have to use the reader, at the very least I would suggest using a downloading script that downloads the whole page (ads and all) then keeps the image and discards the rest. Takes more bandwidth, but helps more than you'd think. If you visit the IRC, I swear there was somebody in there who figured out how to do it. Haven't visited myself in a while though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Side-note, only about 60-70%% of internet users use adblock, and of those there are a significant majority that turns it off on sites that they like (e.g. Batoto, Youtube, etc) so that the site still gets ad money.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^