Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[Suggestion] Status: Hiatus

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

This is for series' like Bastard, Black Yome ni Yoroshiku, Yotsubato!, and et cetera

Some series' that just stopped updating without any formal explanation on discontinuation should be marked as such (since it's neither "ongoing" nor "complete"), because there's no ongoing available chapters available to call this series "ongoing" nor "complete".

This should be only used for the series' that has been on hiatus for more than 4 monthes or 9 issue worth, whichever comes first.

Ideally, series' that later has source to prove that it has been cancelled should be updated as. I personally think this will help de-clutter some series' being marked as "ongoing".

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

The status of Ongoing or Complete are simply meant to convey the status of the series on Batoto, not the scanlation status. The game could be completely scanlated but not uploaded to Batoto and the status would remain "Ongoing".

As such, a "Hiatus" status wouldn't really make sense.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

The status of Ongoing or Complete are simply meant to convey the status of the series on Batoto, not the scanlation status. The game could be completely scanlated but not uploaded to Batoto and the status would remain "Ongoing".

As such, a "Hiatus" status wouldn't really make sense.

Why wouldn't it? I did pointed it out earlier that it's to describe status that's neither "complete" or "ongoing" on Batoto. Do you have anything better in mind?

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Why wouldn't it? I did pointed it out earlier that it's to describe status that's neither "complete" or "ongoing" on Batoto. Do you have anything better in mind?

Completed = "you can read all of it in English on Batoto". Ongoing = "you can't read all of it in English on Batoto". Neither informs you about upload/scanlation/update frequency and they're primarily meant as a binary yes/no for people not looking for incomplete comics. Comics "on hiatus" (be it either because no english group scanlates them anymore or the author is not working on them atm) are in the "you can't read all of it" group, comics cancelled-by-author/publisher are in the "you can read all of it" group.

"Ongoing" isn't a very good name for what it's supposed to mean, I guess. Any rename suggestions for it?

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

αρняσɖιтє

αρняσɖιтє

Baked Potato

• Appreciation Scans
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationFish bowl

Also, some groups like mentioned by omgwtfbbqponies from a previous post, don't allow re-upload on batoto. So there's also possibility that it may be on other manga website or even their own reader. So Hiatus will not make any sense at all for any manga reader to even have; unless it;s on the scanlation's group only.

Third year of college

groups I work for:

Spoiler

PageTurnerComics

PageTurnerComics

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEast Chicago, Indiana
Why not two lines, one that says "Series" and has Complete, Ongoing and Haitus as well as a "Scanlations" line that has Complete, Ongoing and Incomplete? There's two different sets of information at play here, and without addressing both you really have people looking at one line trying to figure out two different things.

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

There's no need for it. If it's on hiatus, just say so in the description. Nobody thinks, "Boy, I'd really like to read a comic that's in the middle of a long break and may never be finished; if only I could do a status search for hiatus."

PageTurnerComics

PageTurnerComics

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEast Chicago, Indiana

Exactly why this is a GOOD idea, though! lol. Without an indicator, no one knows if it's on a huge break when they start it. It could also notify people who follow the series but not much news on it why all of a sudden there's been none for months.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Exactly why this is a GOOD idea, though! lol. Without an indicator, no one knows if it's on a huge break when they start it. It could also notify people who follow the series but not much news on it why all of a sudden there's been none for months.

No, it's really not. It might seem like a good idea on the surface (and work as intended) on some very, veeery, veeeeeeery small percentage of the titles here.........and yeah, all the rest are going to be totally unaddressed (most likely) or just tagged flat wrong.

I mean, think about it, you're talking about trying to document information on completely volunteer,  hobbyist groups that...... an enormous number of.......  spring into being, and drop out of being, at the drop of a hat. It's just an impossible idea to try to track scanlation statuses (in the context of this discussion), it'd be like trying to herd cats. That's why absolutely nobody does it.

Simple is best. As OMGWTFBBQPONIES said here, and as has been said more than just a few times in the past when this very same type of idea has come up,  "Complete" = you can read it completely on Batoto, "Ongoing" = you can't read it completely on Batoto. This is just a reader site, not an all-encompassing information site. Some of this stuff is just going to require effort on the reader's part if they want to get some of this information.

Edited by svines85, 07 October 2016 - 07:34 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

That's... why I said to put it in the description...? Does the mask muffle my voice?