Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does this manga remind anyone of Berserk?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

coffeebreak3

coffeebreak3

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I mean the story line is playing out in a similar way, and back story of helck seems very close. Lots of FeelsBadMan moments.

spellcheckmofo

spellcheckmofo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Helck strikes those same chords. But plays a different melody then Berserk. The key differences are the grim-dark rage and character development. Helck never really got betrayed like Guts was by Griffith. He had similar loses, but it wasn't so close and personal.

Saying that, Helck has a better start. The way it catches you completely off guard beginning with so many meta manga cliches and a freaking shounen tournament of all things...

Helck is surprisingly heat-breaking. Berserk is haunting.

Regardless, I love both :)

Namorax

Namorax

Fingerling Potato

• Validating
  • 62 posts

Because Berserk get's like one chapter in a year?

drewjn

drewjn

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

The overall premise has some similarities, but spellcheckmofo is on point.

Helck is more melodic and sustained by hope; whilst Guts is a person destroyed and brought down from his past and responsibilities as he just survives to only end it, hope has practically left him. I'd say Berserk is kind of like Shin Angyo Onshi, in that it is a recurring tragedy that you know will not end well. Helck is more like Claymore in that it has very dark tones and situations, but there is a goal of both reconciliation and survival of those important to you. The only thing they both share is an initial dark tone, but that is also where the similarities end.

Azazell0

Azazell0

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

It's kind of a kid-friendly version. Everything goes a bit too smoothly for the characters, even there is a bit of despair, there's way too many kind and pleasant moments (and catgirls).  

zall_fine

zall_fine

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

There are similarities that go as deep as the narrative schemes (in medias res start leading to an EXTREMELY similar flash back arc) but there are noticeable differences, I'll specify since I fell it's important : Berserk is 1) more occidental in my opinion, at least art-wise. 2) very centered on Guts' story, while Helck says a lot more about the surrounding chars (which are a thing, as opposed to Guts' lonesome cowboy journey) 3) so much chunibyou ("tragedy" if you take Berserk seriously) it's incredible. I got bored of that to the point I gave up on reading that series. 

Strike

Strike

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

Helck has dark undertones. Berserk has dark overtones. They're both dark, but in different ways, and to different extents. Not a huge amount of similarity.

The strongest similarity is they both sucker-punch the reader in the feels every so often, but that's less about content than about how well that content is conveyed. There are stories out there about (objectively) far less tragic things that can hit the reader just as hard, and harder, all because the author did well in making the reader empathize with the story.

Edited by Strike, 17 July 2016 - 02:40 AM.

Racky

Racky

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

Seriously what is wrong with you? How are those two manga similar? Hero with tragic background? Really? That's all? Recently people spout nonsense about every other manga "being similar to Berserk". 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong this manga is good, has really interesting character designs and idea for plot, but it's nowhere near Berserk quality.

Edited by Racky, 27 August 2016 - 06:01 PM.

Propodia

Propodia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
This is girly berserk to me. Too many wet scenes.
The main characters basically have the characteristic of shoujo main characters.
Boyish girl + Feminize guy

My first impress of this was OPM+Claymore+Berserk. Not anymore.

Edited by Propodia, 04 November 2016 - 08:47 PM.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

"Girly Berserk?" 

Look. not everything has to be as grimdark as Berserk. I can appreciate the quality behind most of Berserk. Like, 90% of Berserk is fantastic to me. But even it has flaws that I won't go into detail on. No story is perfect and I feel that at some points in Berserk, Miura is just trying to impress the readers. Helck is a story about hope and perseverance. The demon who distrusted humans has now decided that she wants to save them. The man who thought he'd have to kill all of his old friends has decided that he will also try to bring them back to their senses. The demons who hated humans have become more open to them, and some humans are also opening up to demons. 

Don't even bother comparing this to Berserk. I honestly find its message to be more akin to Gurren Lagann. Do the impossible. 

This isn't saying that this manga doesn't have flaws either. But it's a refreshing take on the "never give up" theme and I'm interested in it. Why are people so quick to spit poison the moment someone tries to compare anything to Berserk? Christ, it's not as though Berserk is a completely unique story.

Disabling all limiters.

tumblr_nld3jcEGtn1r7hrmoo2_500.gif

azbarimon

azbarimon

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 93 posts

I love Helck~ Reminds me in a very brief way of Etrian Odyssey...

Darluk

Darluk

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Helck = Berserk with a PG13 rating

Maybe

Jakoul

Jakoul

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

Minus the monsters in Berserk are evil, there is actual magic, there is adult themes like rape, Helck doesn't get betrayed and watch his first love get raped in front of him, and there's a big conspiracy theory of someone taking over the world one kingdom at a time (nothing like Helck) because people praise him for killing monsters that he released in the first place.

Minus all of that, yep, this is exactly like Berserk.

Actually, no. It still isn't. Saying Berserk and Helck are similar is like saying Dodohedoro and a generic magic girl series are similar.

KuraudoOishii

KuraudoOishii

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Geez, that snark was uncalled for.