Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

What do you think of the "tragedy" tag?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

inoth

inoth

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Well I discovered that this manga is categorized under the "tragedy" genre. Since it doesn't spell a happy ending I fear for our main couple in the story that they won't become a couple. There is a memory erasing possibility as well. If a subject finds about another subject the Relife organization would erase their memories. What do you think of this. Will the Arata x Hishiro ship sail and reach a happy ending? or will it be the Titanic in disguise and leave bad taste in the end?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well I discovered that this manga is categorized under the "tragedy" genre. Since it doesn't spell a happy ending I fear for our main couple in the story that they won't become a couple. There is a memory erasing possibility as well. If a subject finds about another subject the Relife organization would erase their memories. What do you think of this. Will the Arata x Hishiro ship sail and reach a happy ending? or will it be the Titanic in disguise and leave bad taste in the end?

The "tragedy" tag is just wrong, along with a couple of the others, and never should have been put on there by whoever did it.

Never forget that any member can add/remove any tag........well, they can do almost anything they feel like at whatever moment the feeling moves them.......with almost no ramifications on this site.

Bad tagging happens each and every day around here, please correct the things you see that have been defaced/vandalized (through the edit buttons on the comic page) and/or report it in the vandalism thread...

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/17619-vandalization-of-manga-infos-report-here/

The best rule of thumb is that the tags here should reflect what MangaUpdates has for the title (mostly, ours here are kind of a combination of MU's genre and category tags rather than a single "genre" name space as it is here) 

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=113469

I've already updated this one to what it's supposed to be.

https://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/relife-r14377

Edited by svines85, 18 May 2016 - 08:43 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

hentoki

hentoki

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
Your question has been answered inoth. Well, i will add some more correction. As far as i know, tragedy is a genre that indicates 1 or more past events those affect almost or even a whole story. So, it's the development towards ending, not the ending itself. So, we can't expecting manga would probably got sad ending just because it has tragedy as its genre. That's my opinion.

And for in ReLIFE manga case, Why the previous contributor tagged tragedy on it, most likely because of
Spoiler

Sasword

Sasword

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Addeed the Seinen tag since it’s a seinen manga.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Addeed the Seinen tag since it’s a seinen manga.

Yeah, the demographic tags are kind of troublesome when it comes to the webtoons.......I mean, that's the whole issue, they're not actually "published", in the traditional sense/market at all, so where do you get the demographic from? Traditionally published anthology-type publications have specifically declared target audiences.......webtoons don't.

So yeah, I've always personally felt the audience should set/come to some consensus for the benefit of promoting to prospective readers..... whether MU ever sets one for that particular title or not.

Tn7HA0h.png

Zephiris

Zephiris

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Location‽‽‽

Hmm... I bet it wont turn to a tragedy... Authors tend to cave into peer pressure and give this a happy ending~

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Hmm... I bet it wont turn to a tragedy... Authors tend to cave into peer pressure and give this a happy ending~

Yeah, you're probably right, and your exact reasoning as to why is in large part why it's such a bad thing to tag something as "tragedy" when it doesn't rightly deserve it.........it just kills the numbers of bringing in new readers. To a lot of people that tragedy tag is like kryptonite.....they'll turn their nose up in a heartbeat when they see it >_<

Tn7HA0h.png

Sasword

Sasword

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Yeah, the demographic tags are kind of troublesome when it comes to the webtoons.......I mean, that's the whole issue, they're not actually "published", in the traditional sense/market at all, so where do you get the demographic from? Traditionally published anthology-type publications have specifically declared target audiences.......webtoons don't.

So yeah, I've always personally felt the audience should set/come to some consensus for the benefit of promoting to prospective readers..... whether MU ever sets one for that particular title or not.

Just going off what Anichart classified the demographic of the anime in its preview guide for next season.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Just going off what Anichart classified the demographic of the anime in its preview guide for next season.

Seems reasonable to me, it's a judgment call in these cases where MU doesn't have anything on the "print" version itself. While not all anime versions faithfully represent their source material......well, I'm sure it's fine :D

Tn7HA0h.png

zetina

zetina

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLatvia
Everything has a demographic. I've seen "for dudes in 20s" category on webtoon. And in general you kinda need to have one in mind haha~ You can usually tell by age of protagonist but not always.

Someone defined tragedy as bad events leading to more pain and loss, I think? This definitely doesn't deserve a tragedy tag. Although bad things have and could happen, that goes for any story with a bigger conflict. This comic feels cheery throughout, save for backstories. Memory loss... could count... But eh. This seems like it'll have a bittersweet ending at worst.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Everything has a demographic. I've seen "for dudes in 20s" category on webtoon. 

You've seen something/s like that on Naver or Daum? I guess I never have.......of course I can't read Korean either, so maybe that's why.

Tn7HA0h.png