Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Recent Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Unsure as to why this hadn't been created yet, but considering the level of interpretive depth this narrative (imo) has, I thought I'd create one.

Obvious first question would be: Is Yuu in love with Touko yet? ^_^

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

This and Citrus are the best Yuri manga out there. a crossover between the 2 series would also be nice xD

sPYGmxY.jpg?1YXp8ZDc.jpg?1

Kakegurui Official Facebook Fan Page click on the images if you want to LIKE!

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

My favourite series with yuri in it is probably Mai-HiME, but if we're talking about manga with yuri as a main genre, then Yagate Kimi ni Naru is probably my favourite so far. I do have a weakness for Hayashiya Shizuru's work, though.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

Have you tried Citrus? kind a similar to this but has a bit more drama..

wonder when the new chapter will be released 

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I have, yeah! It reminds me a little bit of an earnest telenovela.

I'm not sure. I try keeping up with it on /u/, but... I find that kind of board format really hard to understand, so I'm never sure what's going on.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

earnest telenovela? what's that?

U/ you mean on 4chan? yeah it kinda is. 

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

A Mexican telenovela is basically like a really extreme soap drama. Here's perhaps the most famous example.

I think I would also love AnoKiss more if it focused on the main couple, since a lot of the side couples are difficult to keep track of, and I don't necessarily care about them. One of the things I like so much about YagaKimi is the narrative focus on Yuu, and occasionally on Touko.

Edited by Gnocchos, 03 May 2016 - 08:43 PM.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

A Mexican telenovela is basically like a really extreme soap drama. Here's perhaps the most famous example.

I think I would also love AnoKiss more if it focused on the main couple, since a lot of the side couples are difficult to keep track of, and I don't necessarily care about them. One of the things I like so much about YagaKimi is the narrative focus on Yuu, and occasionally on Touko.

lol

and

that's true.

Teamint

Teamint

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

It's so nice to see an adult yuri couple in this latest chapter. I'm interested in seeing how Sayaka's jealousy will affect Yuu and Nanami's evolving relationship. Anyone else impressed with her yuri-dar? She was totally eyeing Miyako and Hakozaki-sensei.

Also... Yuu calling Nanami "Touko"... They're so cute together.

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

^ I know, right? If I had a gaydar only half as functional as Sayaka's, damn. She's totally got Touko sussed out, as well.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

Wonder if this will have some kind of love triangle in the future.

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Man, I hope not. I hope Sayaka is actually jealous that her best friend position is being usurped, and is actually okay when she finds out that it's intact because Yuu occupies an entirely different section of Touko's heart.

Teamint

Teamint

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Sayaka's story could easily turn this into a heartwrencher for me, depending how it's played it (not that it already is, lol). Makes me wonder about Maki's role in this story, unless his bit was just that: the Voyeur Observer.

Gala Lion

Gala Lion

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 231 posts

If he end up falling in love with  Yuu and Yuu start to like him too then I am done with this series :P

Susurrate

Susurrate

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I think the manga only uses Maki as a sort of character device. His role is to tell Yuu in a reflective/contemplative manner, in order to move the plot. It's because the conflict in the previous arc revolves around Yuu making sense of her sudden and strange relationship with Touko. Yuu is a late bloomer and clueless, her monologues in the first arc are full of childish denial and confusion.

It's really sad that Touko looks the meaning of love with contempt. What she experiences with her 'ideals' is not a true love, as it is imposed externally, no matter how much she told Yuu that it's what she wants. It is a perversion. Something that the more she follows, the more she suffers. A true love is something that she'd willingly bind herself to regardless of consequences, doing so happily as an end in itself.

However, what if Yuu loves Touko in such a way that makes Touko loving Yuu even more? I hope it will turn out that way. Something like being proven wrong, yet a pleasant surprise that melts your heart. Like Yuu's improvised speech during the election. A clumsy expression of someone who's totally inept at romantic endeavors. An 'accidental', unconscious spark that turns her life upside down. The Love with the Fall!

(I hope I'm not bullshitting so much with this post!)

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

(I hope I'm not bullshitting so much with this post!)

Not at all! I made an effort-post about the way the manga uses the unreliable narrator on another forum, so I'm stoked to see other people getting into it the same way I do. Lemme quote it:

I think that Yuu is supposed to be in love, but the mangaka is deliberately not drawing attention to it to make it seem like she isn't, because her reaction to love is a lot more subdued than Touko's is. For example, saying she doesn't hate Touko kissing her, noticing Touko has lovely eyelashes as they're about to kiss, flinching in that small panel because of all the shoujo sparkles going on, saying she doesn't want anyone else but Touko to be in love with her, etc. However, in a way it's dismissed because it's accompanied with with a "but I'm not in love with you" in the narration, since it's from Yuu's PoV and she doesn't think she is. She's sort of tricking the readers using contextualisation; things that would normally be viewed as romantic suddenly aren't, purely because the narration frames them as platonic.

I think it's quite clever. You can see it again when there wasn't any glaring focus to Touko freaking out about the indirect kiss when they shared their drink, instead depicting it only as a panel of hesitation before drinking. Some of Touko's behaviours are also treated this way: her curiosity in Yuu's room, her going out of her way to seek Yuu out, etc. They're not explained in the narration because they don't need to be. They've been contextualised as romantic, so that's how the reader sees them.

I think the mangaka knows that drawing something is an active choice, so decides what she includes carefully. there's a lot from Yuu's side that isn't platonic, but the unreliable narrator mechanism is used well enough that it doesn't seem like there is. I think it's especially glaring when you compare the fact that she wanted to reject the dude who confessed to her beforehand, although she said they'd become close, and thus might be even more willing to endure his overtures in the same way she endures Touko's now. Despite that, she never made anywhere near an effort, and allowed Touko to pursue her from the start, whereas she intended to turn the dude down from the start.

Might just be projecting, of course! It's fun to think about, though.

I think the idea that Maki might exist as an audience surrogate (which may be an extension of what you're saying), there to reflect our observations on Yuu, is a good one. It fits!

Teamint

Teamint

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Sayaka is SHARP. You can't hide anything from this girl!

Her secret unrequited love KILLS ME. ARGH! She doesn't blindly idealize Touko either... She genuinely sees her and still loves her. I really hope she gets her chance to be honest with Touko about her feelings.

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

I ship Touko/Sayaka, help. Any chance of all three ending up together?

Teamint

Teamint

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Actually, it would be an interesting twist to see how Touko/Sayaka could happen. 

Touko has such a warped experience and view of love that's laced with expectations. Sayaka knows this, yet seems to love the part of Touko that strives to be this perfect person. Wouldn't this be considered a burden to Touko?

What would it take for Touko to love Sayaka the same way?

Edited by Teamint, 14 June 2016 - 02:26 AM.

Gnocchos

Gnocchos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Oh, maaaan. I feel like every chapter is leaving me in anticipation. I'm goddamn hooked. :P