Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Does Anime Make You Kill...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Heh.....kind of macabre I know, I just couldn't help myself when I heard the "Brothers went to anime convention after killing parents" line   :D

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-brothers-charged-parents-death-20160429-story.html

Tn7HA0h.png

RhadamanthusPrime

RhadamanthusPrime

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Only if youre already fucked up on the head to let yourself be swayed by that by anime.

3466607.png

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
Most definitely. If you only knew how many people I've taken out with my Kamehame-Ha in fits of pure rage.

UIqflpq.jpg

Demut

Demut

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

What the fuck is up with that story? So bizarre ...

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged
I think there are 3 parts to this
1. Ownership of firearms in the states
2. Violence as part of US culture: the country was practically founded on genocide
3. Alienation of modern society
People only turn to anime because of (3)
More accurate to ask whether alienation or anomie as Durkheim called it was the main cause. Mucheal moore did ask that in bowling for Columbine

Joja-lee

Joja-lee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts

I think there are 3 parts to this
1. Ownership of firearms in the states
2. Violence as part of US culture: the country was practically founded on genocide
3. Alienation of modern society
People only turn to anime because of (3)
More accurate to ask whether alienation or anomie as Durkheim called it was the main cause. Mucheal moore did ask that in bowling for Columbine

People do not "only" turn to anime because they feel alienated by modern society? If that's what you meant.

Other than that.

There are too many missing factors in this murder to make any formed semblance of judgement. To basically answer the question though, no, media does not 'make' people kill. It could possibly be a subtle catalyst but never a basis for sociopathic/psychopathic actions.

My thoughts and respects are with the deceased. May they rest in peace.

Edited by Joja-lee, 02 May 2016 - 08:19 AM.

tumblr_lqszlysjrl1qjnajp.gif

danfare

danfare

Potato

• Members
  • 116 posts

yes, anime is to blame, especially that one naruto child with his ninja blades and unauthorized driving.

on a serious note, i think certain media can potentially give people ideas but you kinda already had to be a psychopath to actually go and do it. or yknow be in enough pressure/stress that you completely break.. as far as my knowledge in psychology goes, anyway.

Edited by danfare, 03 May 2016 - 04:01 PM.

Counterfeit

Counterfeit

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Kill time, yes.

No anime I can think of dictates will, let alone convinces you to kill someone. It can show you the stranger depths of imagination, but it can't make you do anything illegal. That is a decision you will have to make for yourself. One who decides to harm somebody after seeing some non-stop ninja action probably had a weak mind to begin with or no moral code. I would say people can use repeat overexposure to violent media to desensitize themselves to violence, but it is not the fault of the media if a person chooses to use it in that manner. If the medium is blatantly telling someone they should harm someone, then yeah, they deserve a fair share of blame, because that's demonstrating a deliberate desire to condition people to be deadly threats against other people.

On a tangent, the expansion of blame to a group of innocent people and concepts which do not voluntarily drive the actors of heinous crime is become incredibly tiresome and divisive lately, if not dangerous for some of the accused, but I'll save that for another discussion.

Some good lives were lost in this senseless violence, and I wish them peace and that their murderers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That note does lead me to think, by the wording, that they intended more deaths later down the road, and the stories the suspects give don't make a whole lot of sense given how normal they were alleged to be acting at the convention... so if indeed they are the guilty party then good - two less dangerous minds on the streets.

Faederwulf

Faederwulf

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 54 posts

We have bigger problems, like children influenced by Naruto running with their arms behind their backs.

Final_Boss

Final_Boss

Fingerling Potato

• Project_FinalBoss
  • 80 posts
  • LocationOver there

If something like fantasy is enough persuade you to do something in real life, then that just shows how easily influenced you are.  Or maybe it just shows how disconnected you are from reality itself.

Posted Image

Video Game Development | Manga Scanlations