Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Manga: Art or Plot?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland
Art only, obviously, unless the plot is so dumb it's unbearable.

I'm an ART OTAKU AND IM PROUD OF IT.

Retired Manga Cleaner/Redrawer @Manga-Heaven, @kono-basho, @wangan-scans, anonymous and more.
Illustration editor

Light Novel translator

Kami

Kami

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGermany
I'd read normal books if art wasn't important to me, but the art has to be really good if there is no plot...

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland

I'd read normal books if art wasn't important to me, but the art has to be really good if there is no plot...

To be honest, i prefer light novels over manga and anime, manga and anime have to please the reader/watcher with beatiful art, or in anime case - art and sound composition if not, making something that is originally a light novel a manga or anime misses the point, since the visualisation does not match plot anyhow. :P

Retired Manga Cleaner/Redrawer @Manga-Heaven, @kono-basho, @wangan-scans, anonymous and more.
Illustration editor

Light Novel translator

Colour

Colour

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 877 posts
  • LocationIn a Box of Crayons

To be honest, i prefer light novels over manga and anime, manga and anime have to please the reader/watcher with beatiful art, or in anime case - art and sound composition if not, making something that is originally a light novel a manga or anime misses the point, since the visualisation does not match plot anyhow. :P

Hmmm. As for me It goes Manga > Light Novels > Anime. Sometimes when I read Manga I just take quick short glances at the art (or not pay attention to it) and just focus on the words. It's just nice to have the art there to look at from time to time.

Polboron

Polboron

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts
wait, what's a "light novel?" could someone define/ give an example of one?
Posted Image

"I know the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started."
- Ernest Hemingway

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.
Polboron, google baka-tsuki. Has a bunch of examples. aka It's easier to explain to you that I'm too lazy to provide a link than to actually provide a link??? A light novel is basically just writing only, bar a couple drawings here and there.

Light Novel≥Manga>Anime for me

Edited by ragnarok_water, 17 November 2011 - 01:01 PM.

Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

LittleMelon18

LittleMelon18

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 266 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
Personally, plot rules over art. Because what happens if I miss out on a gem of a series, but the only lacking thing is the art, and I dismissed it because it had bad art? I would feel bad.

But I must admit art does have a significant factor over my decision to start reading that series. But if I'm looking for another series to add to my 100+ following list to consider seriously (not just another 'fling' of a read), then I will always consider plot first before art.

Cyrus

Cyrus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
Plot is about a thousand times more important to me than art. The art would have to be abysmally terrible to prevent me from reading it.

However lately I find the characters extremely close behind plot in terms of what will keep me going or dropping it. I have dropped a couple of what looked to be interesting reads due to not being able to like ANY of the characters.

wait, what's a "light novel?" could someone define/ give an example of one?

A light novel is basically the same as a normal book, from what I can tell. Hell I remember seeing a screenshot of some 7th volume on horizon and it was as big as a phone book. (Tired so there's a 50% chance I'm wrong on that last part)

No Comment

No Comment

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEarth
The art is generally not a deal breaker as I'll pretty much read anything. Though as far as the plot goes, I have been more selective lately and I will drop stuff if I don't like it and won't start it if I know it's going to have some very annoying things in it. Whereas before, when I first started reading this stuff, I would read pretty much anything no matter how bad it was.

Posted Image

Spoiler

Phantom_rose

Phantom_rose

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
Equal part both, I think. It really depends on the genre for me, actually. Like when I read shoujo, I start to expect...well, pretty manga. And no matter the plot, the art styles they did back then when manga like Glass Mask was around is a style I really, really cannot handle. It actually gives me the creeps. On the other hand, with other genres, like shonen, I actually expect better plots than art. At that point, I'm willing to give them a chance as long as the plot is good. One good example is Gokusen - though I'm not quite sure what to label that manga as. The manga art is um......yeah. Let's just say nothing is really good-looking in Gokusen. But the plot is fantastic!

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I have the same taste in manga as I have in girls I guess... looks*(personality+ intelligence) enough said? :P so 0=look means that no matter the plot I won't read it.... but then again that's rare
Posted Image
Spoiler

manga2x

manga2x

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTawi Tawi naval district
For me is plot. I care the story a lot. I tend to give up half way, if the manga is way to boring for me.
I have a very low standard for art. It matter little for me.

Edited by manga2x, 28 December 2011 - 04:50 AM.

ALL HAIL TREBOR

ALL HAIL TREBOR

Unloved Potato

• Banned
  • 157 posts
  • LocationUSA
It's all about the plot. I read too quickly that I don't pay attention to the art all that much, plus, If the plot is really good you learn to fall in love with the art style no matter how bad it is (well kind of).

Manga>light novels>anime (I don't like spending 20 minutes watching something I could read in 2-3.)
I decided to impersonate an admin, and all I got was this lousy gimped account. :(

I'm also banned because I'm a sockpuppet of Kurt/POMF :(

Zero King

Zero King

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 866 posts
  • LocationThe World I Designed
both are very important. I prefer better drawn manga but if it has a bad plot i will stop reading it like Holy Knight.

softpick

softpick

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 371 posts
70% Art 30% Plot
Would help a lot if the characters are moe. I'm a type B otaku after all...

upQffwT.png

djabea

djabea

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 23 posts
Ideally both should be good but the only place I could cut corners would be the art I can get used to the art but a boring story will stay boring. I don't like to waste my time and the plot would keep me hooked even if I didn't like the story. Sometimes I think something does not look great but after a while I start to like it.

The most important thing is plot but when the characters are not to my liking even the best plot couldn't keep me interested I would just get annoyed at every page this character appeared and if it's one of the main character there is no chance that I would finish the story. When I started I'm sure I would have done it but now after numerous (I wonder how many) mangas there are things I don't want to read any more.

babiewinx

babiewinx

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
I will go mostly for the storyline since there have been manga's where the Art is beyond belief but the plot is the worst I've ever read.
and yes, the art plays a major role in manga, but as long as I can tell what the artist is trying to show us or what is happening in the panel, I wouldn't mind the art work as much.

♫ "One love to live, One Love give.... One Heart to break, One soul to Take us.... Only One..." ♪

Chellesei

Chellesei

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts
50-50. :) Most of the time, I read mangas with nice art and plot. I mostly don't read it when the art's not so good. I enjoy reading when the characters are well drawn but if I find the story gets boring or some characters piss me off, I stop reading.

Edited by Chellesei, 29 December 2011 - 01:50 PM.

Posted Image

Aguirre

Aguirre

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 99 posts
For me, art has nothing to do with it. It's plot. Also, if Noboyuki Fukumoto's plots and character developments were terrible, everyone would attack his artistic style. But look at Akagi and Kaiji. Award winning work and has a massive fanbase.

Edited by Aguirre, 29 December 2011 - 01:54 PM.

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts
I'm a plot person, but I can't stand reading a manga if the art is terrible. However, if the art is appropriate to the story, then I'll relent.