Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Groups trolling by re-uploading the same chapter multiple times

Best Answer OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 04 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/fatestrange-fake-r14441

Chapter 5 was re-uploaded today for no clear reason, despite having been uploaded months ago.

This is seriously annoying. I flipped through a few pages after seeing it get updated before i realised that this was the same chapter that was uploaded months ago.

No idea if this was supposed to be an april fools joke but its not funny.

Edit : I dont know why people are saying this was recently translated because i read this chapter months ago, unless this is by another group or something.

It appears it's you remembering things wrong? I see no chapter 5's existence in logs, archive.org, reddit, fate fansites and fora return nothing, manga sites that crawl batoto for content and don't do reuploadings all seem to have stolen today's upload or haven't gotten to it yet, the chapter itself apparently was translated by 4chan anon(s) a few weeks ago (imgur album with it was created on 15.03) and it doesn't seem like there existed any translated version of ch.5/caster act prior to that.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Question

Question

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

I've noticed a trend for some series where the group translating it will repeatedly re-upload the same chapter multiple times on different dates (usually with several days in between). Not sure why they would do that, maybe its to troll people into thinking there's an update when there isn't, bump the series to the front page, or something else. Happened recently with chapter 20 of tate no yuusha no nariagari and IIRC, it tends to happen with Freezing as well.

It's very annoying because people are misled into thinking there has been an update when there hasn't. Can the series page include some sort of function to show how many times the chapter has been uploaded previously (if it was the same chapter) to avoid confusion? Right now it just shows the last upload date, which doesn't mention anything about how many times the chapter has been uploaded before.

Caek

Caek

Lief, Loev, Caek.

• Contrib Mods
  • 365 posts
  • LocationDiabetes

If you read the comments of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, the scanlator group messed up a few times and forgot to use the archive function when reuploading.

So yep. The archiving function is pretty important.

~ Caek

hMrVQCm.gif

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

What makes you think they are trolling and not just uploading a v2/3?

What comic? What chapter?

Question

Question

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

If you read the comments of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, the scanlator group messed up a few times and forgot to use the archive function when reuploading.

So yep. The archiving function is pretty important.

~ Caek

Then that function should probably be automatic? There was a time when i saw the same freezing chapter uploaded like 3-4 times with no use of the archiving function.

What makes you think they are trolling and not just uploading a v2/3?

What comic? What chapter?

I listed two comic names in the OP...

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

Then that function should probably be automatic? There was a time when i saw the same freezing chapter uploaded like 3-4 times with no use of the archiving function.

I listed two comic names in the OP...

In between things looks like I missed that you actually mentioned comics and chapters. Sorry. >_>

But much more importantly I'll ask again what makes you think they are trolling?

From Batoto's point of view there is a huge difference between trolling and simply not using the archive function properly. Any potential actions taken from Batoto's side would differ greatly.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar
There was a time when i saw the same freezing chapter uploaded like 3-4 times with no use of the archiving function.

if it was all within a short time frame my guess would be the uploader noticing something is not right about their upload and trying to fix it, forgetting to unapprove broken/messed up uploads (or maybe postponing doing it till they're done solving their problem)

I think some contributors also seem to forget to schedule the deletion of previous versions of their uploads (and if no one notifies us about it in QA subforum they'll probably stay like that for a while).

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Question

Question

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

Chapter 71 of Boku no Hero Academia was just re-uploaded even though it was uploaded a few days ago IIRC.

I dont know for sure if they are trolling or not, but judging from the comments ive seen, a lot of people feel trolled when they see a new chapter was uploaded, only to find out it was just a re-upload of a chapter that was uploaded before.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Chapter 71 of Boku no Hero Academia was just re-uploaded even though it was uploaded a few days ago IIRC.

I dont know for sure if they are trolling or not, but judging from the comments ive seen, a lot of people feel trolled when they see a new chapter was uploaded, only to find out it was just a re-upload of a chapter that was uploaded before.

All the internet sources point at FA releasing it today, so it's rather impossible? Maybe someone uploaded mangastream's version before and it got removed?

Hmm... I assume you check your follows or the front page daily/regularly/very often then? If so, maybe your expectations of new releases are clashing with 'features' batoto has? That is:
1) batoto doesn't limit a group's possibility to fine-tune or fix their releases (and some groups are known to release even v3 or v4 updates)
2) archive option is for removing a particular upload from appearing on follows, front page, etc. It's great for batch uploads and fixes of chapters that have been around for a while, but since archiving an update of a recent release would remove it off the radar for many readers who happened not to be around inbetween the initial release and the updated one, there's a window of time in which chapter fixes are not supposed to be archived to avoid new releases going unnoticed by many.

If you do see some behaviour that goes against the above (lack of archiving for updated versions of older chapters, frequent reuploading of the exact same chapter, uploaders leaving "junk" around like older chapter versions next to new ones, etc.), report it in QA subforum so the staff can take care of the problem and either re-educate the uploader or punish them if there indeed is someone abusing the upload/notification system to annoy readers.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Question

Question

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts

Chapter 5 was re-uploaded today for no clear reason, despite having been uploaded months ago.

This is seriously annoying. I flipped through a few pages after seeing it get updated before i realised that this was the same chapter that was uploaded months ago.

Edit : I dont know why people are saying this was recently translated because i read this chapter months ago, unless this is by another group or something.

Edited by Question, 04 April 2016 - 02:21 PM.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar
✓  Best Answer

It appears it's you remembering things wrong? I see no chapter 5's existence in logs, archive.org, reddit, fate fansites and fora return nothing, manga sites that crawl batoto for content and don't do reuploadings all seem to have stolen today's upload or haven't gotten to it yet, the chapter itself apparently was translated by 4chan anon(s) a few weeks ago (imgur album with it was created on 15.03) and it doesn't seem like there existed any translated version of ch.5/caster act prior to that.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3