Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Korean Cinema vs. Japanese Cinema

Which do you prefer and why?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Polboron

Polboron

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts
Just wondered what people really thought on these regions of cinema. Lately, I've found that Korean movies are getting much better than Japanese films. Man from Nowhere, Bittersweet Life, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, are just some of the movies that really come to mind. I have a hard time even thinking of Japanese movies that have recently stood out like those.

Perhaps I don't know what's going on in Japanese cinema or Korea has better marketing, I just wanted people's opinions and even recommendations.
Posted Image

"I know the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started."
- Ernest Hemingway

Senesce

Senesce

Potato

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationRivendell
I think Korean movies are very entertaining. They have romance and drama nicely mixed but I've seen too many romantic comedies that have rag-to-riches themes and they soon tire me out. I can't remember a Korean movie that I truly like. They just pass by... like farts.

What I like about Japanese movies, on the other hand, is the depth. The movies are highly artistic. I'd recommend Tokyo Sonata as a breath of fresh air.
"Remember this always: the fly, even in paradise, must always exist on shit."
- Frances Pauli from The Fly in Paradise

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts

I think Korean movies are very entertaining. They have romance and drama nicely mixed but I've seen too many romantic comedies that have rag-to-riches themes and they soon tire me out. I can't remember a Korean movie that I truly like. They just pass by... like farts.

Harsh. Does that include Park Chan-wook's and Bong Joon-ho's body of work?

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

Senesce

Senesce

Potato

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationRivendell

Harsh. Does that include Park Chan-wook's and Bong Joon-ho's body of work?

Sadly I haven't been watching a lot of Korean movies. I did like a few, but I forget the titles soon after. Recommendations? The works of those two, if you please.

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts
The most well-known Park Chan-wook films would be The Vengeance Trilogy, but for something a little different, I'd suggest I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, or Thirst. And from Bong Joon-ho, I can recommend Memories of Murder, The Host, and Mother.

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

Senesce

Senesce

Potato

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationRivendell

The most well-known Park Chan-wook films would be The Vengeance Trilogy, but for something a little different, I'd suggest I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, or Thirst. And from Bong Joon-ho, I can recommend Memories of Murder, The Host, and Mother.

Noice. I'll give them a go... I think I've seen Bong Joon-ho's The Host, but the title just escaped me.

I remember watching a disturbing but well-made Korean film a few months back. I Saw the Devil... made me cringe plenty of times.

I do have to say though, Korean and Japanese horror films... are pretty good. /muffled screams

TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Batoto Chief Mafioso

• The Company (inactive)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia
Hmm. I wish I could comment, but I can't really. If you count anime as part of "film", then I'd prefer Japanese straight out. I'm more versed in the Hollywood/European side of things, as my cinematic studies have been drawn into that region more.
Spoiler

i fucking love fembot for hustling on GB with Kareia and Kento <333333

bumblebee310

bumblebee310

Potato

• Members
  • 189 posts
I haven't watched that many Korean/Japanese films to weigh the greatness of one over the other.
But I personally enjoyed watching the following:

>Kokuhaku
>My Wife is a Gangster (1-3)
>Sad Movie

and the many Japanese horror movies, oc :D

---------- In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. ----------

Aurora

Aurora

Potato

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMusée d'Orsay
I can't really say which is better based on what I've seen, but I did watch [most of] Man from Nowhere. It's really... Basically, I was at the end of my seat for the most part! I don't often watch such genres (action, crime, thriller), but the quality and storyline was well put [and it was my first Korean movie!]. If you haven't seen it, I would suggest watching it on Netflix (?), it was rated 5/5. And yes, it is RATED R.

Edited by Dearly Beloved, 10 January 2012 - 12:05 AM.

tumblr_mn4lhiwDI41soyzg6o2_250.png

There are flowers everywhere, for those who bother to look.

— Henri Matisse

Enigma

Enigma

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationPhilippines
I have to agree with Psychia here. One thing I've noticed about the Japanese films I've seen and watched is that they have so much depth... it's not just eye-candy with idols or feminine-looking boys. Korean movies I've watched (and series as well) are so shallow :( It's as if they were there just for the entertainment value. Of course, this is just my opinion...:)

shinya78

shinya78

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • LocationAhnenerbe Café
Japanese, only because I can't understand Korean. :P

Polboron

Polboron

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 57 posts

I have to agree with Psychia here. One thing I've noticed about the Japanese films I've seen and watched is that they have so much depth... it's not just eye-candy with idols or feminine-looking boys. Korean movies I've watched (and series as well) are so shallow :( It's as if they were there just for the entertainment value. Of course, this is just my opinion... :)

I disagree. Though there are Japanese movies with more depth, I find that Japanese movies use more shock value than any foreign cinema. Takashi Miike films, Tekeshi Kitano films, Japanese horror movies, those are only a few examples that are popular japanese films and use excessive gore/violence to attract viewers.

Perhaps, I don't watch enough of the drams but for the major blockbusters, that's what i find the most.
Posted Image

"I know the night is not the same as the day: that all things are different, that the things of the night cannot be explained in the day, because they do not then exist, and the night can be a dreadful time for lonely people once their loneliness has started."
- Ernest Hemingway

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

i would recommend this for Japanese movies... its quiet good... it lead me here after reading a note about the placement of sword when entering the house of ur host or something... in Sengoku Strays... :) try it..

http://viooz.co/movies/15446-chonmage-purin-2010.html

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Nutrient

Nutrient

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 273 posts

Japanese, only because I can't understand Korean. :P

That's why subtitles exist, silly. :)

I prefer Korean Cinema because I haven't seen much of Japanese Cinema (I think Koizora and 1 Litre of Tears are the only two J-Movies I've seen).

I recommend Midnight FM! It's a thriller K-Movie.

2crvuxv.png

made by Farfalla @ mh

Nurse Hog

Nurse Hog

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationindia

korean movies is much better than japanese i really love their all movies 

MOD EDIT: URL REMOVED. PLEASE READ THE RULES AND REGULATIONS. 

Edited by seyrine, 20 September 2013 - 12:36 PM.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

I haven't watched as many Japanese movies as Korean movies, but my preference over one or the other is mainly cultural. Like others said, usually Japanese movies do some interesting things and take some risks that other regions don't do as often, especially for a mainstream film. My main issue with Japanese movies is mainly the acting or script; they're not bad, but it feels more rooted in theatre drama and the more exaggerated acting of older films. I say exaggerated relatively, since I think all films exaggerate, just I think Japanese films feel moreso than others. At least, I know that Korean films are exaggerated as hell (especially the romantic comedies, but less so in films with more serious moods), but even then, it feels a bit more muted when you compare relatively serious films from both Korea and Japan.

In terms of depth...well, both have excellent films. It's usually just a difference between what's gotten more exposure. Couple years ago, people exposed to Korean films were mainly stuff like My Sassy Girl. Now, what seems to be popular are thrillers (Man From Nowhere, I Saw the Devil, Chaser, etc). Again, not as well-versed in Japanese stuff, so can't say on that.

That said, love Takeshi Kitano for Japan and Bong Joon Ho for Korea. Let's throw in Quentin Tarantino and they can all have a party.

Edited by watsu, 21 October 2013 - 09:14 AM.

h99.png

TheGreatXavi

TheGreatXavi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I have to agree with Psychia here. One thing I've noticed about the Japanese films I've seen and watched is that they have so much depth... it's not just eye-candy with idols or feminine-looking boys. Korean movies I've watched (and series as well) are so shallow :( It's as if they were there just for the entertainment value. Of course, this is just my opinion... :)

Sigh 

Sigh

I created this account just so I can reply to this....

Really?

Really?

Have you ever really watch korean movies?

I mean, Korean "MOVIES", not some usual mainstream cheap romantic or comedy movies. Have you ever watch korean crime movies, thrillers, and dramas ( not "romantic" drama, but high quality real life drama ) ?

You judged korean movies just by watching some cheap romantic comedy with pretty idols but never really watch korean movies. Korean movies have so much depth, better than Japanese movies. And this come from super hardcore Akira Kurosawa fanboy, who really thought past Japanese movies ( in 50s and 60s) are the best in the world. Now, koream movies have became so much much better even surpassed Japanese movies.

Really, just because its korean, doesnt mean its all about pretty looking boyband or romantic korean drama like my sassy girl. 

My advice to you all, watch korean movies. REAL korean movies.

SNMS6

SNMS6

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationBogor , West Java , Indonesia

actually , i prefer korean if language is ignored ...

korean cinema industry is somehow growing and also rising into an open culture . if they are a fruit they are still green and unripe . they still have tons unknown culture and sub-culture yet they assimilating many of "outer"culture making them alluring . but what makes me allured is mainly because how original their idea is . if i have to scale 8.7 of 10 is a fair number for korean . (by original i mean they have so many unknown factor in their movies (i said movies not their cheap dramas with kpop-based boy band and girl band as actor/actress , i don't appreciate them because it is so west even with their own settings) )

japanese in the other hand , are very deep , very isolated , and a ripe fruit . they are my favorite for many years now . because their cinema industry is somehow related to manga industry and also their well-known culture making their story flow is somehow easier to tell due to their dependence on another industry and vice versa . even so their closed system making them a solid and attractive . they have both qualities and sheer quantities . if i have to scale 8.5 is a fair number for japan .

i can not speak both korean japanese but i really appreciate their movies and everyone who translate them well . 

Edited by SNMS6, 03 December 2013 - 09:13 PM.

20801.jpg

19.jpg

gyokuran

gyokuran

Potato

• Members
  • 104 posts

For me at least what I consider the golden age of korean movies was from 1998 to 2006. My sassy Girl, IL Mare, Tae Guchi, DMZ, Sympathy for Mr and Miss Vengeance, My Boss My Hero, My wife is a Gangster 1 and 2, Old Boy, Wind Struck, Please Teach me English, and my favorite "The Foul King." There's a lot on my list and hard drive but I listed the most memorable. After 2006 I stop getting addicted, Felt that Korean Movies where less appealing for me, the cause was probably the Korean boom in the country.

If I was asked to say which I prefer now? Japanese...if we include anime movies.

Edited by gyokuran, 10 December 2013 - 04:14 AM.

elixer

elixer

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Locationkanyetothe best girl
Korean cinema is superior in my opinion.. but idk, it's all familiar to me much more than japanese cinema. I only liked a handful of the japanese movies I have seen. If the two (very different) groups were trees, i would imagine an american tree too. The korean and american tree are farther in distance, but the korean tree bears a similar and more ripe and sweet fruit. the japanese tree is closer to the korean one, but the fruit is total opposite in almost every aspect. some fruit are good for picking, some i find are usually too ripe, and soiled. and few are like a golden apple, with far better sweetness than any fruit available! (most of those are from the same branch too)
the korean tree is growing many branches!! ripe fruit is appearing randomly, while on certain branches some fruit resemble the rotten fruit from the big american branches. this is a very lame metaphor but i tend to enjoy/watch korean movies more than japanese regardless of racial, but when i enjoy japanese movies it is because they are absolutely fantastic A+++ grade 10/10 would watch again and again. the branches were genres btw. i don't usually watch american movies, just tv shows.
[quote name="KidCongo" post="21159" timestamp="1320413044"]
Harsh. Does that include Park Chan-wook's and Bong Joon-ho's body of work?[/quote
[quote name="pyxie" post="21152" timestamp="1320406455"]I think Korean movies are very entertaining. They have romance and drama nicely mixed but I've seen too many romantic comedies that have rag-to-riches themes and they soon tire me out. I can't remember a Korean movie that I truly like. They just pass by... like farts.What I like about Japanese movies, on the other hand, is the depth. The movies are highly artistic. I'd recommend Tokyo Sonata as a breath of fresh air.[/quote]

i don't watch japanese cinema much, i will check that out :^). if it is depth.. the best korean movie of 2012 in my opinion will be to your liking. http://watch32.com/movies-online/a-muse-3020 "a muse" - 은교

LEMME SEE

HOW YOU GON' TREAT ME!

I AINT NO EASY

BETTER THINK ABOUT IT TWICE!!!