Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Suggestion to "rewrite" old URLs to the new reader URLs, to help us update the links we shared

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Oliverfr

Oliverfr

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts

Hi there,

I shared plenty of links to Batoto pages on a website of mine (those who know, know, those who don't, better know not ^^), pointing to internal pages, page x of chapter y of series z, if you see the idea.

And here, I read in the announcements that the old direct URLs will soon be deprecated and cease to work.

I searched my website for batoto.net/read/ and bato.to/read and it's appalling, there are tons of links that I will have to update.

Moreover, to obtain the new links, I have to return to a manga's index page, manually select the chapter again, and pick the proper page again.

Except when there are versions in multiple languages, then it's simpler, I just need to click to have it in another language, switch back to an English scanlation, and pick the page again.

Still, that's a bit of a hassle.

I wonder, couldn't it be possible, that during the period the old URLs still work, to have them rewritten into the new scheme, so that we simply click an old batoto.net/read/... URL, and it becomes the new URL in our browser URL bar ?

It would make it much easier to have new links to update stuff.

If that's too much work, though, don't bother, I'm only asking "just in case", maybe it's just an easy option somewhere :)

Edited by Oliverfr, 24 October 2015 - 09:26 AM.

buckwheat

buckwheat

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

As a reader who -just- registered in light of the recent changes, but previously used bookmarks to keep track of exact reading progress, this interests me as well.

I would like to confirm something if I may:

Right now, existing 'old style' links still function, but opening a chapter from the series' main page adopts a new URL format. Is this new format final and stable?

That is to say, given two example URLs which currently open the same page of the same chapter of the same series:

http://vatoto.com/read/_/166939/waratte-sotomura-san_v2_ch26_by_wonderland-translations/5
http://vatoto.com/reader#4830ae5f9c2d19ac_5
Will the complex, non-human-identifiable second URL stay as-is for page 5 of chapter 26 of "Waratte! Sotomura-san", or will that alphanumeric string change every now and then, rendering bookmarking a specific page pointless?

Thanks in advance! (and also greatly delayed thanks for the existence of this excellent site and the hard work of all the scanlation groups out there)

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I will (assuming it exists) have the old url redirect to the comic page after it's given a 404 so that the URL isn't going absolutely no where.

The new URL will not be redirecting to the new one because the old URLs are fully indexed. That's why the URL system is changing.

The currently used new URL is here to stay. I may support additional formats, but it will keep on working.

buckwheat

buckwheat

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I see, thank you very much!

Oliverfr

Oliverfr

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts

All right, thanks for your answer!

If at least it links to the manga's index page (what I understood), it will be something already :)

Tap

Tap

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 5 posts

As someone both updating and reading, it would be nice if there was something indicating the manga title / chapter number in the URL, aside from the hash.

It'll help give some meaning to the link when copy-and-pasted, and it'll make more sense when shown as outbound traffic from a scanlation group site's point of view too.

A format like http://vatoto.com/reader/[INSERT_META_DATA_HERE]#[HASH] appears to redirect correctly in the current reader, but does linking to that cause any issue on Batoto's end?