Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why 2 English Scanlations?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Propodia

Propodia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
Some other manga like one piece, kingdom, toriko, .etc have 2 scanlation too. There're other series which had 2 scanlations in some early volumes.
Since this manga have been just about 1 volume (~180 pages), nothing to talk about.

Edited by Propodia, 23 October 2015 - 12:52 PM.

MoeL

MoeL

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

i know the reason why you still double post this series, but gawd... this is annoying... am i right?

draw2much

draw2much

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Ah, just so everyone knows, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I read quite a lot of manga, but not the popular titles (as they're usually licensed in my country so I can buy those), so this was the first time I saw dual-scanlation for just one series. I guess popular titles often have more than one scanlation group? I had assumed there was a notable difference in translation between the groups in this series, and that was why there was two, but they both seem the same to me. That got me confused.

It's fine if two scanlation groups want to do the same series. The worst I can say is that on Batoto it's annoying because you get double-notifications for the same series (making it easier to lose track of what you already read) and it does seem a waste of resources (the series is alright, but not worthy of that much attention in my opinion). HOWEVER I'm not some Scanlation Law Enforcer, people can do what they want. I'm not stacking my opinion on a mountain and claiming everyone else who thinks different is a reprehensible nitwit. It's OK to like having two scanlation groups or not like them.

I was just asking because I'd never encountered it before. Now that I know, I won't need to ask the same question if I come across another series with two or more scanlation groups. I have been thoroughly informed! Thank you all for your opinions and insights!

:batoto_024:

NobleBronze

NobleBronze

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

This is really damn annoying. If you have fun doing it, whatever, but I don't see why both groups have to upload it to batoto. Who benefits from one group uploading a chapter of a manga two days after another group uploaded the same chapter?

sherinz

sherinz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts
Wow, those pretentious reader, the gall.

The scanlation team are doing it for free without asking or enforcing any kinds of payment from you while you continue leeching off of their hardwork and you got the gall to be... What do you call it, 'annoyed'?

It's not wrong to wonder, but to be annoyed and ask them "isn't there much better thing to do rather than to duplicate"? What are you, dear reader/leecher, do they owe you anything that enables you to make demand and complaint?

So, I supposed I now would be called 'asskissing' the scan teams eh? Well here's my penchant over it, "I get what I want from them without having to do anything at all". I'm grateful for whatever that I receive.

How bad and how much days do you people wasted because of these duplicates anyway? Does your whole week ruined and your work in shambles when there are duplicate?

Edited by sherinz, 14 February 2016 - 07:08 AM.

NobleBronze

NobleBronze

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

The scanlation team are doing it for free without asking or enforcing any kinds of payment from you while you continue leeching off of their hardwork and you got the gall to be... What do you call it, 'annoyed'?

It's not wrong to wonder, but to be annoyed and ask them "isn't there much better thing to do rather than to duplicate"? What are you, dear reader/leecher, do they owe you anything that enables you to make demand and complaint?

So, I supposed I now would be called 'asskissing' the scan teams eh? Well here's my penchant over it, "I get what I want from them without having to do anything at all". I'm grateful for whatever that I receive.

How bad and how much days do you people wasted because of these duplicates anyway? Does your whole week ruined and your work in shambles when there are duplicate?

This is a terrific parody of the kinds of sycophants that sometimes show up around here. Great job.

naeon

naeon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

aaebcff0eb620fd7e1530b2c16f69747.jpg

Velenir

Velenir

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

What a pointless discussion. What we really need is the ability to filter by group, both on a manga page and in RSS.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

What a pointless discussion. What we really need is the ability to filter by group, both on a manga page and in RSS.

Really? And just how frequently are you having this scenario come up that you'd need to have such a function? No composite reader site offers any sort of way to reference back to the scan group (certainly in the context of this discussion), so yeah, you'll just have to handle this on your own.

I personally rss Love LIve Scans and then read on their site.......helluva lot easier than messing around with this place in this particular instance.

http://read.tomochan.today/post/145240671426

Tn7HA0h.png

Diyedas

Diyedas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

No, what we need is one group posting the chapters and only one.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

You can't tell people what they can and can't do with their personal free time. Batoto allows multiple versions of the same titles/chapters, and that's that.

Though don't get me wrong, in principle, that being "why are two groups scanlating this one title (when one or the other could do a different title and actually get more accomplished by doing so)" yeah, I actually agree with that and always have. 

Though I'm assuming this just goes back to the poaching thing......a group that's capable of scanlating, rather than start their own project, identifies one that's already popular and then tries to steal it away after a different group has worked to build up an audience. 

Yeah, real nice >_<

Tn7HA0h.png

otemoyan

otemoyan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

You can't tell people what they can and can't do with their personal free time. Batoto allows multiple versions of the same titles/chapters, and that's that.

Though don't get me wrong, in principle, that being "why are two groups scanlating this one title (when one or the other could do a different title and actually get more accomplished by doing so)" yeah, I actually agree with that and always have. 

Though I'm assuming this just goes back to the poaching thing......a group that's capable of scanlating, rather than start their own project, identifies one that's already popular and then tries to steal it away after a different group has worked to build up an audience. 

Yeah, real nice >_<

Your signature is FREAKING huge, but I agree with you.

Also there were two groups translating tomo from the beginning. 

Telling people what to do is totalitarianism most remarkable feature.

Also you cannot speak for other people, you represent only yourself. 

Most people do not care, or do not see two or three groups posting the same manga as a problem.

Edited by otemoyan, 02 June 2016 - 07:14 AM.

DaremoTen

DaremoTen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Speaking for myself, I love having two translations to compare and contrast. I wouldn't mind more, in a variety of styles. Keep it up.

Diyedas

Diyedas

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I just think it's a bit pointless to have two scanlator groups posting the exact same chapter over and over again, especially one that's literally one page each. It doesn't really need another scanlation, LLS is fine. I also feel that the other scanlation barging in on another scanlators project is a bit disrespectful. I certainly agree that they're free to do whatever they want with their time, if they want to scanlate this manga thats cool, it's easy enough, but I thinking posting a chapter someone else has already done is kinda unfair.

But hey, if LLS doesn't mind then who am I to complain? I'll probably get used to it eventually anyways. This isn't the only place I read the manga after all.

Although I gotta wonder why BakaNeko wanted to do another scanlation in the first place. I'm curious about that. 

Mr.Vandal

Mr.Vandal

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationThe Worst Place

Curious myself as well. The original dual scan thing was apparently because of cross purposes in a single scan-circle? Then another new scanlation group starts to do the same thing, and only that thing? 

Correlation is not causation.

So bearing that in mind, Correlation does at least suggest possible causation.

My bet, and of course I might be wrong, is that this is a cold war between two groups.

Koru

Koru

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

I'll say it certainly is odd. I've never had anyone release the same chapter as me, although if they did I'd just stop because it's a waste of my time. It is a slight inconvenience to have to blast through the lower quality one to read the next chapter, but I guess it'd be more of an inconvenience to have to go get it in Japanese.

Well either way I appreciate one of the groups (unless they're part of the same group which would be hilariously stupid) 

xaraphina

xaraphina

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Plenty of reasons, especially for this manga. As was pointed out, groups split/fork so there can be redundancy and all parties post what they have so they don't feel like they wasted their time. Salt, my favorite, when groups have some kind of agreement and one breaks said agreement which leads to random trolling. Commissions are also a possibility, you pay/provide and they do the work no matter how ignorant anyone thinks it is. And, going back to the "especially for this manga" comment, people/groups just starting out. This manga has one page chapters, i'm sure there's quite a bit of work to do with cleaning, but you're not going to run into a more ideal setting to start out.

As for adding some form of group filter, that would be nice. Can it be done? Obviously. Will they? Probably not. Depends on how anal the reader is to add "functionality" to and if they think it's worth changing the database to accommodate the changes.  

Edited by xaraphina, 01 August 2016 - 08:29 PM.

Nezperdian

Nezperdian

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Because some people can do a better job when they find flaws in other works. For example: suffixes, quality scans, quality translation, sfx-translation, explanations. Not only in mangos, but also in animus. Some people would like colorful fonts, while others don't. It's good to have variety, since you'll find your cup of tea.

Master_Aricitic

Master_Aricitic

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAll that is fiction.
I recognize that I am posting, what, five months later, but, hey, mods have the ability to close threads if they want to.

Anyway, I simply love how people are assuming other groups come in and start translating "another groups" manga... As though any translation group has legitimate ownership over the copyright work of a legal financial entity (gotta find a shorter way of putting that). Sure, we can argue they have rights over their own translation, but that is about it.
No, more likely they are doing the translation either out of love for the manga, language or Japanese/manga culture... Or for practice, which I would argue requires the same love.
If one translation group really wanted to take ownership of the things (manga/anime/light novels themselves) that they tranlate they would seek to get licensed with the original publisher, like Crunchy Roll.

Waste of resources? Sure, let us shut down any website on the Internet that is not academic or governmental, or maybe corporate. Why? That is what the www was made for and if we are asserting efficiency why should anything else take up bandwidth?
Better yet shouldn't you all be in school or studying? (Ignore this if you are outside of the US) Isn't the United States 23rd or worse in the world for academics? Or what about overtime at your respective jobs? For that matter isn't the creation and reading of... Well, entertainment in general... inefficient?
That is all with sarcasm, of course, but most people will get my point. Arguing efficiency for something a person is doing for enjoyment is pointless. These, as so many others have argued, are done for free, in the scanlators free time and (hopefully) for their enjoyment. Who are we to tell them to translate something else?
Finally, the groups translating thus far are neither adding pre or post pages advertising their groups. Many would argue that for one page scans this would be pointless, offensive, etc... Or adding distracting watermarks, which they would have every right to do... So, why are some arguing that they are doing this for the "views and/or clicks" last I checked Bato.to doesn't give ad revenue...
(I will modify this post when I am at a computer and not on a phone)