Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Thoughts about the anime?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Voij

Voij

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Sooo... yeaaah. Just watched the first episode and man, is that a loose adaptation.

Characters look nothing like the originals, story shows some considerable differences, Empire's army largely exchanged humans with monsters, gore has been completely cut, which implies that sexual or any other form of mature content will probably go the same route.

Definitely not what I expected when I first heard that it'd get an anime.

PS: Here's a comparison of character design differences between Light Novel, which is being followed by the manga, and the anime:
Light novel: https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/images/goods/ar2/web/imgdata2/large/44341/4434142356.jpg
Anime: https://littlecloudcuriosity.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/gate-jieitai-kanochi-nite-kaku-tatakeri.png

Edited by Voij, 12 July 2015 - 07:13 AM.

Regius

Regius

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Utterly lack luster it appears they decided gore and comedy don't mix and dropped one for the other. (gore gone T-T) Overly moe girls (with new rounder faces and Rory's ribbon...*shudders*)  and implied violence seems to detract a lot of entertainment the original had. I really was hoping they'd do well and as soon as around 6 minutes hit and i saw a little girl in front of the gate i knew they'd never kill her at least not as brutally as the original first chapter had done to the citizens.

All and all a let down i suppose, but i'll keep watching maybe they can still figure it out i mean the first episode was mostly a waste of time since they had to cut gore (and probably sexy stuff T-T).

Edited by Regius, 03 July 2015 - 07:32 PM.

Guest_MidoriKitzune_von_Kartoffel

• Guests

Dissapointed in the cut outs.... still maybe it wil be fun to watch.

At least i'm eager for the next ones.

But i see black ... without all the grotesqueness... all lot of mod wont get over to the viewers.

Why hate the prince? ...uhh ... how should i explain that to someone watchign the anime then.

Cause he dragge fully clothed woman on a cart to his father... nope.

Rembred92

Rembred92

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Well 12+ edition of novel and manga, I was hopped for more but still was ready for this/

One thing that i liked that they showed the reaction on "ginza incident" more detailed and how Itami get promoted and get to know some of his subordinates/

But in other way 1 episode was just time-stalling prologue.

Itami showed here funny Otaku with overactive imagination (about playing on phone) and he even got a vision about future harem members (WTF). Seems it they way to show main heroines in all episodes/

Well for now i hope about some filler moments which wasn't in manga but maybe in novels or completely new which will expend universe/

And of course i REEEEALY hope season will be not only 11-13 episodes.(Realisticly it will just like that :batoto_019: )

Myreddin

Myreddin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Well 12+ edition of novel and manga, I was hopped for more but still was ready for this/

One thing that i liked that they showed the reaction on "ginza incident" more detailed and how Itami get promoted and get to know some of his subordinates/

But in other way 1 episode was just time-stalling prologue.

Itami showed here funny Otaku with overactive imagination (about playing on phone) and he even got a vision about future harem members (WTF). Seems it they way to show main heroines in all episodes/

Well for now i hope about some filler moments which wasn't in manga but maybe in novels or completely new which will expend universe/

And of course i REEEEALY hope season will be not only 11-13 episodes.

What striked me was the fact, that this adaptation focuses more on the high-fantasy aspect. The original manga clearly showed humans as the invading army. In the anime they were changed to mostly monsters. I am still hoping for some good battles, but I think that they were cut out as this is NOT a 18+ Anime, while the manga is definitely at least 16+.

One thing I definitely missed was the iconic image of them invading barbarians planting the flag of the Empire into a small mountain of corpses:
http://vatoto.com/read/_/123904/gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there_ch1_by_animesuki/5

But oh well. It is an ADOPTATION, and they told this to us in the beginning. We should give it a fair chance, and we should not try to compare it with the Manga, as it is NOT the manga. I was expecting a new Black Lagoon, but it looks like that is not what the audience wants...

Episode wise:

This will not run for more than 12 episodes. The reason for this is simple: 12 episodes is the standard season for an anime. Then, based on the feedback from the first season they might cancel or extend the anime into a second season.

Edited by Myreddin, 04 July 2015 - 07:48 AM.

Funchi

Funchi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on earth

my humble opinion is that.... the anime is too soft, already the first episode was made half of it from filler about itami hobby... which was stupid... the design are way too different... the god damn ribbon on the gothic lolita... horrible... the elf design... wait who is she?! she is not the orginal elf... and the mage teacher... he has a hat?! and i think the worst of all, was when itami bumps the head and has a vision of the 3 girls!? really?! i do hope all this stuff is in the light novel... cause if not they simply ruined a project that has great potential!

AlastorSin

AlastorSin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Personally, I quite enjoyed the anime. It does make sense for them to cut out the gore to make it more family friendly kinda, but I was not expecting it to be an exact faithful adaptation to begin with due to the range of stuff they will need to cover later on and, you know, airing those stuff might be hard. 

I am thinking this might turn out to be something like the first Full Metal Alchemist season with a anime ending. Still, quite liked it.

Oh and it has been confirmed for 24 episodes.

Regius

Regius

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Personally, I quite enjoyed the anime. It does make sense for them to cut out the gore to make it more family friendly kinda, but I was not expecting it to be an exact faithful adaptation to begin with due to the range of stuff they will need to cover later on and, you know, airing those stuff might be hard. 

I am thinking this might turn out to be something like the first Full Metal Alchemist season with a anime ending. Still, quite liked it.

Oh and it has been confirmed for 24 episodes.

24 might explain the dragged episode 1 then, but still I wouldn't have a problem with family friendly except it airs at 12:30 a.m JST so really there's no excuse. Just like Musume is on at 12:30 a.m. (which i hope they don't destroy with censors either obviously gonna be some) they can't really have a reason not to do what the manga is since the time slot fits the content. Who knows I'll still give it a bit of hope for now but honestly I was just hoping this would be a good slightly gritty anime in wake of all the ecchi one's that seem to be coming out this line up.

Edited by Regius, 04 July 2015 - 08:04 PM.

Maglad

Maglad

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

The anime looks good. Is the manga over? I cant navigate the japanese site new layout

AlastorSin

AlastorSin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

24 might explain the dragged episode 1 then, but still I wouldn't have a problem with family friendly except it airs at 12:30 a.m JST so really there's no excuse. Just like Musume is on at 12:30 a.m. (which i hope they don't destroy with censors either obviously gonna be some) they can't really have a reason not to do what the manga is since the time slot fits the content. Who knows I'll still give it a bit of hope for now but honestly I was just hoping this would be a good slightly gritty anime in wake of all the ecchi one's that seem to be coming out this line up.

From how they did the 1st episode, it probably will not be a exact adaptation imo already. They moe-fied some of the characters plus some scenes I don't remember being in the manga also such as the first part of exiting the gate. 

I am going to continue with the assumption that while some of the core scenes will remain, like the hot spring visit we see in the opening, with changes to quite a bit of stuff. Also, I am not expecting this to be gritty at all, it will most likely be of a ecchi, harem genre like To-Love Ru, with elements of fantasy and fighting in it. I don't think they will delve into more details about the war too and it might just end up being this guy and his unit's adventures in a foreign land of magic. 

Core stuff like the Ride of the Valkyrie will probably remain but as I said, with drastically lower gore rates and probably no beheading and stuff. Personally I am fine with less gore as I don't quite find it as entertaining to see bits and pieces flying around and think it is more of a shock value if over-used though I understand the message it is suppose to convey about war. 

Still, hoping it doesn't just dissolve into a fullout generic harem at the very least.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Okay ... the anime getting too softed to the point it become stupid and worthless ...

Kinda like Saint Row Hell (something else to replace human) ... at this point we can't see some shattered / minced body piece and rape ...

I wonder why they even bother to TRY to make this anime ...

I rather prefer the manga get continued further ... and someone who willing translate LN ...

NarcisseCR

NarcisseCR

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

It's awful. They actually managed to make Lelei look younger than Rori, judging from the opening.

Also, they spent 22 minutes to do a single chapter. And I'm really wondering what the director is smoking.

They are just so many deviations from the manga that are pointless and don't add anything.

Like the imperial soldiers talking about how it's nice that some buildings are familiar, because everything else looks unfamiliar.

What the hell?

LetoShade

LetoShade

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

It's awful. They actually managed to make Lelei look younger than Rori, judging from the opening.

Also, they spent 22 minutes to do a single chapter. And I'm really wondering what the director is smoking.

They are just so many deviations from the manga that are pointless and don't add anything.

Like the imperial soldiers talking about how it's nice that some buildings are familiar, because everything else looks unfamiliar.

What the hell?

Actually that was probably the least offensive part of the whole episode as far as I can tell the whole series is based on what arises when two cultures so different in time/technology meet. I mean the only reason in the manga that the entire empire doesn't stand down entirely is they don't understand the level of threat that comes from making war with Japan. Most of the people of the empire have no idea what kind of weapons Japan has at their disposal. I love the little things that get brought in showing the different viewpoints each holds. It's far more unrealistic to expect an invading army that could have come from Rome itself to march on an average city these days and not expect at least one person to go, "umm what do they make these buildings out of?"

• Guests

The anime looks good. Is the manga over? I cant navigate the japanese site new layout

Manga is still running.´As is novel.

Just now chapter 47 relaesed. As transalted version.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

I hope someone willing to translate LN ...

I only found teaser for ch 01 ...

ndanix

ndanix

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 70 posts

I think some of you are exaggerating a little. It does change stuff from the manga, including some designs, but as a stand alone show, the first episode of the anime proved the be entertaining, well animated and engaging enough to keep people hooked. It shouldn't have to suffer for being different to the manga.

EDIT: And to be honest, reading again the first chapter of the manga... the anime has much better pacing.

Edited by ndanix, 07 July 2015 - 05:20 AM.

SageVII

SageVII

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Regarding character design, the only ones I have trouble with at this time are both Itame and Princess Piña. Piña was converted from an adult twentysomething woman into a teenager girl. Itami now looks like your typical japanese otaku, i.e.: a creepy guy. Also, while Itami is indeed a slacker, he still does his job to the best of his abilities, something that we are not seeing here.

I do like that they are showing stuff that was time-skipped in the manga. The arrival of the JSDF and the first battle. We only say what happened with the combined army, but by that time the JSDF had already consolidated its position, built appropiate fortifications and firing position for its tanks. Brought some heavy duty AAA guns to deal with the dragons and was completely prepared to serve customers. At this time it is an expeditionary force that does not know what is going to happen. So we will get to see the 1st Battle of Alnus.

Regarding the gore and sex. I was really sure that it was going to be toned down as much as they could. No torn bodies but we see a lot of implied and some real blood. Violence was heavily implied since the camera was from the victim's perspective as opposed from an observer's viewpoint. Thus we saw the monsters attacking but not the deadly consequences. The little orphan girl that wasn't in the manga is to tell us that a lot of people died.

BTW, I don't think that Itami could have killed that guy with the knife the way he did it. The guy was wearing armor, very likely bronce, but it could have been boiled leather. Still that dinky knife wouldn't be able to penetrate that armor of his. So if he wanted to kill him, he would have had to cut his throat as opposed to knife him in the back.

Atrus

Atrus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

It's not the worst Anime adaptation I've seen, the title probably goes to Rosario to Vampire. However, it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as the manga. The first chapter of the manga was griping and instantly got you hooked. The first episode of the anime was about half of the show time of useless flller. That being said, I still think the anime is pretty good if judged solely by it's own merit and will still watch it, but the manga is still better.

NarcisseCR

NarcisseCR

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

It's not the worst Anime adaptation I've seen, the title probably goes to Rosario to Vampire. However, it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as the manga. The first chapter of the manga was griping and instantly got you hooked. The first episode of the anime was about half of the show time of useless flller. That being said, I still think the anime is pretty good if judged solely by it's own merit and will still watch it, but the manga is still better.

The anime of Rosario+Vampire was fairly good, it just didn't live up to its manga. It's probably the same thing here; most of us cannot enjoy the anime because we know the manga is so darn better.

Atrus

Atrus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

The anime of Rosario+Vampire was fairly good, it just didn't live up to its manga. It's probably the same thing here; most of us cannot enjoy the anime because we know the manga is so darn better.

I don't know. For me, if I had seen the anime of Rosario to Vampire before reading the manga, I probably wouldn't have been interested enough to follow up and read the manga. But the Gate anime is good enough that I would have at least checked out the manga from what we've seen so far. The gate anime is  "good enough' in my opinion. I will enjoy it for what it is, but realize that the manga version is so much better.

Also let me clarify that I'm not saying the Rosario to Vampire anime is bad. Rather that it has the biggest difference in quality between the manga and anime of any series I've seen so far, with both Negima animes being up there as well.

Edited by Atrus, 08 July 2015 - 12:07 AM.