Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Punny chapter titles

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
I've been collecting the puns hidden in the chapter titles since the sequel manga started serialization, and I think it's time now to share this list with everyone. In contrast to the original series, the puns in Ishida's chapter titles are now English/Engrish puns: They are formed by prefixing some part of the title with re-.

Here is a rough tentative guideline for how to figure out these puns:
  • If the title is formed by a regular Japanese word, just translate it to English and put re- in front. Note that you might have to change the pronunciation a little to find the pun.
  • Sometimes, you also arrive at the pun by reading the Japanese word and add re- in front of the Japanese reading.
  • If it's not a Japanese word, you have to try different readings of the title. Sometimes, Ishida uses two made-up words that can be read the same way. In this case, this is the intended reading. Otherwise, you have no choice but to go through all readings. Add re- in front of the candidate readings and try to match it with English words. Sometimes, you also have to translate the candidate readings into English first and then add re-.
I'm not sure yet what to do with Japanese particles that appear in the titles of the first few chapters. Perhaps you're meant to ignore them, perhaps you're meant to keep them.

I do not guarantee that this list is correct or complete, since I can't read Ishida's mind.

Here you can find a list of chapter title puns in the original manga: http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/20782-chapter-title-puns/

If you have some corrections, additions or suggestions, please post them here!
Without further ado, let's get to the puns in :re's titles. I'll try to keep this list updated for future chapters.

Volume 1:
Spoiler

Volume 2:
Spoiler

Volume 3:
Spoiler

Volume 4:
Spoiler

Volume 5:
Spoiler

Volume 6:
Spoiler

Volume 7:
Spoiler

Volume 8:
Spoiler

Others:
Spoiler

Edited by Old McDonald, 30 October 2016 - 02:05 AM.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Thankyou for your time. You must have either been very clever in noticing all these, or very dedicated, it seems.

Can't say as any of these puns made me laugh though. But I appreciate that the authors clever in making them.

Are you sure some of these aren't reading into it though? You can find connections in anything if you dig deep enough.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
Added chapters 32 and 33.

Thankyou for your time. You must have either been very clever in noticing all these, or very dedicated, it seems.

Can't say as any of these puns made me laugh though. But I appreciate that the authors clever in making them.

Are you sure some of these aren't reading into it though? You can find connections in anything if you dig deep enough.

They aren't meant to make you laugh. It's word play - not jokes.

Since Ishida has been following this punning pattern since the beginning, there should be a play on words in all chapter titles (and Ishida is also known to have used word play in the chapter titles of the original series, too). But Ishida can't always completely fit the title to the corresponding English word, since the Japnaese title still needs to have some meaning, so sometimes you have to make guesses which English words sound similar.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

What is the point of word play if not humor?

Medea

Medea

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

What is the point of word play if not humor?

I think the chapter titles are the same kind of "hints" as the tarot card numbers

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

I think the chapter titles are the same kind of "hints" as the tarot card numbers

It's not really hints; the puns are about the themes of the chapters.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

I think that's what ze meant, hints about the content of the chapter AKA "theme"

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

44 is #(hash sign) so "Rehash"??

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

That would fit with content, they are interested in "rehashing" the past.

Cernunnos

Cernunnos

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

Latest chapter is Eve so, Re:Eve as in "Live".

Probably pertaining to Kanae.

hopeandlight

hopeandlight

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts

reeve

1) a local official, in particular the chief magistrate of a town or district in Anglo-Saxon England

Eto?

since eve probably refers to Kanae

Kanae as head of the branch family?

2) thread rope through ring/hole

tendils from Kanae's head weaving back into his body

sewed up eyes and mouth

3) female ruff ( type of bird)

Kanae is female

tg:re eve  ==> grieve

leave

relieve

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
Updated up to the current chapter 68. Chapter 68's title (and pun) is a bit morbid.

Nobody seems to have figured out chapter 65's pun out yet, sadly. :(

lev190

lev190

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Updated up to the current chapter 68. Chapter 68's title (and pun) is a bit morbid.

Nobody seems to have figured out chapter 65's pun out yet, sadly. :(

Maybe "reef" Or "remove"?

Edited by lev190, 22 March 2016 - 07:20 PM.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Maybe "reef" Or "remove"?

No, I don't think so. They feel wrong.

I got a pretty good guess now, though, and I don't have to bend the rules to get to it.

Also: updated up to chapter 70.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts
I updated volume 7 and added the wordplay/pun explanations for some other chapters.

Ishida has fundamentally changed the wordplay in the titles since about volume 8. That change happened around chapter 77/80. There are still some of the old re- puns sprinkled in (the latest one being the title of chapter 93), but most of them are now plays on the chapter numbers with no deeper connection to the actual content of the chapter. Most of them work on pronunciation/spelling, but some reference Qu'ran surahs or chemical elements and others do math on kanjis.

I'll still add the interesting re- puns, but I don't consider most plays on the chapter numbers really interesting. I'm still undecided, but I might just skip most of them.

Edited by Old McDonald, 30 October 2016 - 02:11 AM.