Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Chapter title puns

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Ishida tends to choose punny chapter titles for Tokyo Ghoul. These hidden puns are sometimes more important to understand the title than what the chapter title literally means, but they are usually lost in translation. So I thought I should compile a list of these puns here.

I do not claim that this list is complete or without mistakes. I didn't look for puns in chapter titles before chapter 100, and I only superficially searched for puns in the chapter titles before chapter 125. Furthermore, please keep in mind that the search for puns is inherently subjective: For each title, I had to decide what I consider a pun and what not. If someone else would compile such a list, the resulting list would probably look different.

In the list below, I also included translations for each of the chapter titles. You should keep in mind that translating Ishida's chapter titles (even while ignoring the puns) is an art and highly subjective. Basically, Ishida often creates new words that you can't find in any dictionary, and so the translator has no choice but to translate the title according to his intuition. For example, chapter 103's title "刺剃" is basically "stabbing and shaving", however, "stabbing and shaving" doesn't really work well as a chapter title. But since the chapter title is clearly about Sasori, I decided to translate it below as "Piercing Razor". In the list, I sometimes adopted the chapter title translations from the scans, sometimes I deviated a little from the translations in the scans to show a different perspective of how the title could be understood.

As for :re's punny chapter titles, see here: http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/22738-punny-chapter-titles/ .

If you have some corrections, additions or suggestions, please post them here!

Now let's get to the list of puns.

Chapters until 99:

Spoiler

Chapters 100-119:
Spoiler

Chapters 120-129:
Spoiler

Chapters 130-139:
Spoiler

Chapters 140-143:
Spoiler

Edited by Old McDonald, 14 August 2017 - 09:47 PM.

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts

Damn...

This series is literally the Mariana Trench of manga

Takeshi

Takeshi

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts

This was really interesting. Thanks for your work.

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Thank you very much for the hard work! It seems like Ishida is a true genius...

Boolossus

Boolossus

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 264 posts

Great job! Man, Ishida does think these titles through doesn't he? Pretty impressed with the puniness of chapter 140, I gotta say.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Thank you very much for the hard work! It seems like Ishida is a true genius...

I've no idea how he pulls that off every week.
But I think there aren't that many puns in the earlier arcs' chapter titles. I didn't find that many puns in the chapter 100-120 range. When you go further back, more and more chapter titles become regular Japanese words.
Most likely, Ishida just had the Anteiku arc completely planned out for a long time, and so he had enough time to come up with these puns.

Ishida hasn't stopped punning in the sequel. For example, chapter 2's title is about housework.

Great job! Man, Ishida does think these titles through doesn't he? Pretty impressed with the puniness of chapter 140, I gotta say.

Yeah, chapter 140's punniness amazes me to no end.

Edited by Old McDonald, 29 October 2014 - 09:33 PM.

Ade_S

Ade_S

Potato

• Members
  • 122 posts

I've no idea how he pulls that off every week.
But I think there aren't that many puns in the earlier arcs' chapter titles. I didn't find that many puns in the chapter 100-120 range. When you go further back, more and more chapter titles become regular Japanese words.
Most likely, Ishida just had the Anteiku arc completely planned out for a long time, and so he had enough time to come up with these puns.

Ishida hasn't stopped punning in the sequel. For example, chapter 2's title is about housework.

Yeah, chapter 140's punniness amazes me to no end.

OM, I started a page in LJ to collect all the symbolism in TG, can I put this in it?

rutilation

rutilation

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Ishida is a capricious and punny trickster god

thanks for compiling this!

Coralira

Coralira

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 96 posts
Thanks! This is amazing. Ishida blows me away yet again.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

OM, I started a page in LJ to collect all the symbolism in TG, can I put this in it?

Feel free to do with this whatever you want. Just keep in mind that it's a matter of interpretation what is a pun and what not. Neither you nor I can read Ishida's mind.

Edited by Old McDonald, 30 October 2014 - 12:22 PM.

koutaken

koutaken

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 97 posts

Really really thank you Old McDonald !! if I meet you maybe I'll really give you a kagune hug :D :D :D 

these kind of hidden hints are my favorite, I feel proud to become one of Tokyo Ghoul fans because this series really deserve such a recognition. this made me really want to learn Japanese even more :D

and yes !! chapter 140's puns are amazing, especially when it reached the "kishou" one, I was like ..... damn this guy indeed a pun god.

by the way what do you mean by potential pun for chapter 143 is in chapter 1 of TG:re??

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

Really really thank you Old McDonald !! if I meet you maybe I'll really give you a kagune hug :D :D :D

these kind of hidden hints are my favorite, I feel proud to become one of Tokyo Ghoul fans because this series really deserve such a recognition. this made me really want to learn Japanese even more :D

and yes !! chapter 140's puns are amazing, especially when it reached the "kishou" one, I was like ..... damn this guy indeed a pun god.

by the way what do you mean by potential pun for chapter 143 is in chapter 1 of TG:re??

There is a pun there when you combine chapter 143's title and the title of :re's first chapter. 研骨 = kenkotsu = cheekbone. And now take a look at Torso on the last page of the first :re chapter.

As for :re's puns, I still can't tell what's really going on. It seems that Ishida is now making Engrish puns, but the sample size is still too small to say anything definitive. I hope it'll clear up with the next two or three chapters. Chapter 4's title didn't really help, because the maybe-pun would be some really extreme Engrish.

Edited by Old McDonald, 03 November 2014 - 05:04 PM.

Old McDonald

Old McDonald

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 850 posts

I made a thread about :re's punny chapter titles.

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/22738-punny-chapter-titles/

Edited by Old McDonald, 05 June 2015 - 07:59 PM.