Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Korean Industry for Comics

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

This thread is for peaceably discussing manwha, webtoons, naver, daum, how they relate to Korean laws and government, and the industry in general.

It is completely possible to disagree and still be civil. No excuses. >:0

Edited by themantarays, 10 December 2014 - 06:17 AM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

He was not anti-capitalist; he was anti-imperalist.  There is a difference.

Modern imperialism can and are often intertwined with capitalism especially in more conservative sectors of business, like finance, but not usually in the more dynamic sectors like information technology. Here we have a Korean company using art and culture to try to take market share from its rival Google.* The healthy result of competition has caused Naver to release webtoons for free, which is a plus for the general public. The downside is that it makes people used to the idea of getting webtoons for free thus which making independent artists' difficult to charge money for their own webtoons.

*(I saw a chart  that shows NHN's market share being chipped away by Google. )

No.

That is a terrible assumption. because while both Naver and Google are both portal sites, that graph shows timeline between 2011~2012 and one of first Webtoons (there are few older but this is first in terms of current Webtoon system) had it's first uploaded chapter in 2006. http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=20853&no=1&weekday=tue

By then Google's market share and growth in Korea was not of much concern for Naver when it came to implementing such decisions. They just did it because they found people like free comics.

Please keep your delusions on how things happened in your brain please.

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

You know, it's probably not a good idea to dismiss Google so easily. It's true that Google has not been as successful in Korea as say, Japan, where they own 30% of the search market. They have not been as successful in China, either, partly because the Chinese government has been putting a lot of pressure on Google, by limiting its searches, so that its own baby search technology has a chance to flourish and take off, until it can compete on its own. But I think those are the exception rather than the norm. Overall Google has about 80% of the global search market. Naver, with its recent English webtoons, is just starting out. If webtoon wasn't a factor back in 2005 when Google became an IPO company, it definitely is a factor now.

BTW Google did come out of a vacuum. The internet revolution came out of tax payer's research - the internet itself started as a defense project, paid for with tax payer's money. Google in many ways was responsible for the blogging culture. It bought blogger back in 2003 and poured a lot of money into it, so blogging became very popular. It also fed valuable data into Google's search engine, giving it an edge over its search competitors. Nothing is done for free.

I'm pretty sure the webtoon culture developed in Korea is deliberate, too. It probably was done with the blessing of the Korean government, and gradually cultivated

over time by the largest portal companies. In some ways it makes sense. Since Google already has a monopoly over video (Google owns youtube) and regular text search, then really only competitive edge a portal can get is through images, and through integrated messaging. That's the route that Facebook, Google's competitor, have taken, by buying whatsapp. On the day Facebook bought whatsapp, Naver's stock price fell by 8%. Where there is a winner there is always a looser. It only recovered later when Japan's SoftiBank expressed interest in buying LINE. It's kind of like Kubera. The players are all very strong, very powerful, but one wrong move and it's game over. 

Edited by smthFishy, 09 December 2014 - 06:14 AM.

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

All these modern communication tools, all those portals, makes everyone work hard. And there really is no place for anyone to hide. Back in the days, the slave masters have to beat the slaves to make sure they work. Nowadays, everybody gets a mobile phone and knows where everybody is at, so everybody pushes everyone to work. From the largest corporations down to the smallest individuals. Like Emile in TOG. Not fun.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

You know, it's probably not a good idea to dismiss Google so easily. It's true that Google has not been as successful in Korea as say, Japan, where they own 30% of the search market. They have not been as successful in China, either, partly because the Chinese government has been putting a lot of pressure on Google, by limiting its searches, so that its own baby search technology has a chance to flourish and take off, until it can compete on its own. But I think those are the exception rather than the norm. Overall Google has about 80% of the global search market. Naver, with its recent English webtoons, is just starting out. If webtoon wasn't a factor back in 2005 when Google became an IPO company, it definitely is a factor now.

BTW Google did come out of a vacuum. The internet revolution came out of tax payer's research - the internet itself started as a defense project, paid for with tax payer's money. Google in many ways was responsible for the blogging culture. It bought blogger back in 2003 and poured a lot of money into it, so blogging became very popular. It also fed valuable data into Google's search engine, giving it an edge over its search competitors. Nothing is done for free.

I'm pretty sure the webtoon culture developed in Korea is deliberate, too. It probably was done with the blessing of the Korean government, and gradually cultivated

over time by the largest portal companies. In some ways it makes sense. Since Google already has a monopoly over video (Google owns youtube) and regular text search, then really only competitive edge a portal can get is through images, and through integrated messaging. That's the route that Facebook, Google's competitor, have taken, by buying whatsapp. On the day Facebook bought whatsapp, Naver's stock price fell by 8%. Where there is a winner there is always a looser. It only recovered later when Japan's SoftiBank expressed interest in buying LINE. It's kind of like Kubera. The players are all very strong, very powerful, but one wrong move and it's game over. 

You know, it may be a good idea to shut up about things you don't know.

Usually I would agree dismissing Google is idiotic but you are simply making shit up in your head in front of a guy who have been in Korea and knew how things were going when webtoons were becoming new cool thing.

Korean Naver and Daum don't work like Google. Just see how the frontpage differs. Google barely has anything noticeable except its searchbar right in middle, only little test link to gmail and such. Because while they do many things, searching is primary.

Naver and Daum, however, have search bar just enough to be useable and set high above. Stuffs grab your eyes are big advertisement, news, what is on sale, today's sport game result, webtoon chapters etc. They try to be everything.

They just do different stuff.

And you are talking about a country that used to heavily censor comics in fear of political message that included 'No bald man because they can portray president, no poor house because that is blaming government, thieves must stand still when police says so because people should follow what government officials say etc'until 1990s. 

http://www.komacon.kr/dmk/manhwazine/zine_view.asp?cateNum=414_8&Tag=&seq=967&nowPage=17&srh_fld=&srh_txt=

And literally forced kids to burn 'evil' comic books

https://rv.wkcdn.net/http://rigvedawiki.net/r1/pds/61878569.jpg

Even recently, just two years, they tried to censor 'overly violent' webtoons with new law, so authors and readers had to stand up against it. (And fortunately,  succeeding in that.)

Old or new, manwhagas and manwha readers have little to no love with Korean government. Your idea of 'blessing' is nothing but blood boiling idiocy to everyone  who loves comics in Korea.

What happened was people liked to read fun comics, authors wanted to draw fun comics, and portal sites like Naver and Daum found people like comic that is free and found a way to profit with it. It was naturally formed market.

PLEASE JUST STOP YOUR IGNORANT ASSUMPTIONS WITH KOREAN COMIC MARKET.

I try very hard to let them pass, but your posts are giving me cancer by how off they are.

Edited a bit of wording.

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 10 December 2014 - 12:08 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Seriously? Bald guys were banned in comics? x'D

From what I gathered, the Korean government invests a lot to support the entertainment industry of South Korea, but just about all of it goes to K-dramas. Comics are completely neglected by the government as evil violent things (or something).

Which is totally ironic, because I watched 1 episode of 1 Korean drama once, and there was sex everywhere. o,o;;

Edited by Mizura, 09 December 2014 - 09:29 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

From what I gathered, the Korean government invests a lot to support the entertainment industry of South Korea, but just about all of it goes to K-dramas. Comics are completely neglected by the government as evil violent things (or something).

Which is totally ironic, because I watched 1 episode of 1 Korean drama once, and there was sex everywhere. o,o;;

Mizura..? How old are you...? è_é

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

^ But... but... I'm in China. >_>;;

I mean, the series starts and there's a pool-side party with everyone in bikinis and girls all over the guy...

Then a few minutes later a guy calls another guy and that other guy is in bed with some random ch... girl. (whoa, just realized I'm Real reluctant to use 'chick' here xD)

Then a few minutes later the supposedly male protagonist is on the phone some area, and a girl pops up who was apparently giving him a blow-job.

And then a few minutes later there's another girl at his apartment.

And then.... I had to leave so I didn't watch the rest. o,o

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

^ But... but... I'm in China. >_>;;

I mean, the series starts and there's a pool-side party with everyone in bikinis and girls all over the guy...

Then a few minutes later a guy calls another guy and that other guy is in bed with some random ch... girl. (whoa, just realized I'm Real reluctant to use 'chick' here xD)

Then a few minutes later the supposedly male protagonist is on the phone some area, and a girl pops up who was apparently giving him a blow-job.

And then a few minutes later there's another girl at his apartment.

And then.... I had to leave so I didn't watch the rest. o,o

*sigh* Movie guys are the worst...

Wait, you're Chinese? I didn't know.

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Chi-chan

Chi-chan

Potato

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNear your closet, open that door.

Well, there are different kinds of k-dramas out there. The one you watch is a very mature one.. (i'm kinda curious as to what title that k-drama might be XD)

CLICK ME! Profile

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

"It's okay, that's love."

I started watching it because it was supposed to be about a psychologist. I thought that'd be interesting. >_>;;

I'm half-Chinese.

3492bk6.jpg

Necrophobia

Necrophobia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

I love korean dramas! I could recommend some if you are interested! But I don't think I have ever seen one with anything worse than kiss scenes o.o

Chi-chan

Chi-chan

Potato

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNear your closet, open that door.

"It's okay, that's love."
I started watching it because it was supposed to be about a psychologist. I thought that'd be interesting. >_>;;

I'm half-Chinese.

Haha maybe the psychologist part will enter in the middle of the climax lol.
And what's the other half? American? :)

I love korean dramas! I could recommend some if you are interested! But I don't think I have ever seen one with anything worse than kiss scenes o.o

I love them too, and I agree about the part that I'd never seen such extreme scenes aside from french kiss.. Maybe?

CLICK ME! Profile

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Half-European. Anyway, the series is the love story between a woman psychologist who always gets looked down on, and a playboy radio host.

There's only kissing explicitely shown in the parts I saw too, but there are lots of extra things implied. It's not so much the fact that there is all that, it's more the frequency. I mean, one guy calls another guy and that guy happens to be in bed with a girl. Repeat every few minutes.

And they complain about webtoons, which are much more tame than that (at least on the sexual level). >_>

Edited by Mizura, 09 December 2014 - 03:43 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

You know, if may be a good idea if shut up about things you don't know.

Usually I would agree dismissing Google is idiotic but you are simply making shit up in your head in front of a guy who have been in Korea and knew how things were going when webtoons were new cool thing.

Korean Naver and Daum don't work like Google. Just see how the frontpage differs. Google barely has anything noticeable except its searchbar right in middle, only little test link to gmail and such. Because while they do many things, searching is primary.

Naver and Daum, however, have search bar just enough to be useable and set high above. Stuffs grab your eyes are big advertisement, news, what is on sale, today's sport game result, webtoon chapters etc. They try to be everything.

They just do different stuff. 

And you are talking about a country that used to heavily censor comics in fear of political message that included 'No bald man because they can portray president, no poor house because that is blaming government, thieves must stand still when police says so because people should follow what government officials say etc'until 1990s. 

http://www.komacon.kr/dmk/manhwazine/zine_view.asp?cateNum=414_8&Tag=&seq=967&nowPage=17&srh_fld=&srh_txt=

And literally forced kids to burn 'evil' comic books

https://rv.wkcdn.net/http://rigvedawiki.net/r1/pds/61878569.jpg

Even recently, just two years, they tried to censor 'overly violent' webtoons with new law, so authors and readers had to stand up against it. (And fortunately,  succeeding in that.)

Old or new, manwhagas and manwha readers have little to no love with Korean government. Your idea of 'blessing' is nothing but blood boiling idiocy to everyone  who loves comics in Korea.

What happened was people liked to read fun comics, authors wanted to draw fun comics, and portal sites like Naver and Daum found people like comic that is free and found a way to profit with it. It was naturally formed market.

PLEASE JUST STOP IGNORANT ASSUMPTIONS WITH KOREAN COMIC MARKET.

I try very hard to let it go, but your posts are giving me cancer by how off they are.

I can concede on Google. I simply picked Google instead of Facebook or any other companies driven by advertisement-revenue simply because Google is the most prominent. I have no love for Google, and I don't own any Google stocks, so I don't care if they make into the search market or not. However, to say something fair, Google has Google+ (plus.google.com) that does offer similar services like News that you can subscribe to. Give it a try, you may like it. Also, to be fair, Google and Facebook are aiming China as the bigger market. Korea is probably not that high on their agenda, yet.  If Google wants to spend some money (last I checked they have about $16 billion or so in the bank), I'm sure they will give Naver a much harder time.

I don't take offense in being called out by wrong. That's how you learn, right? Unfortunately, I can't read Korean, so I can't validate what you're trying to show me. I can only assume though, that they happend back in the 90s like you said? I can cite a recent article that I found here:

South Korea's government is promoting manhwa exports by supporting firms that distribute comics online and subsidising their translation into English.

And:

"We want to develop manhwa into a global brand and take the place of Japanese manga," a government official says. The government is encouraging domestic publishers with aspirations of selling comics globally to take part in overseas book fairs. The government will subsidise exhibition costs and even travel expenses for participants.

While it might true that the government in the past had a bad view of webcomics in the past, they seem to have the opposite view now. So I'm not convinced that the government is censoring the webtoon in question is their view of webtoons in general. Also, consider this: censorship may not be all bad. For example, in China's case, censorship kept Google out, and allowed Baidu to develop its search. It depends on what the government is censoring.

Let me also point out that there is no such thing as "a natural market" in the high-tech field. The only natural market are things that you can grow out of the ground like fruits/vegetables or dig out of rocks, like minerals. I think the Korean webtoon market flourished in the early 2000s because the government spend a lot of tax money to build a fast internet structure and also pushing heavily for mobile adoption. Without the government's help building the network infrastructure, Naver and the other portals could not have take off. It's the same here: if the government didn't research the internet with public funds, then Google, Microsoft, and the other high tech companies would not have flourished. 

Anyways, this is the last I'm going to comment on this topic. Your perception on how your government handles on webtoons seem rather negative. I hate to say the obvious though, your government is no longer a military government back in the 90s, so it is voted to power by the people. There might be other people who probably don't think the censorship is all that bad.

Edited by smthFishy, 10 December 2014 - 01:55 AM.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

I can concede on Google. I simply picked Google instead of Facebook or any other companies driven by advertisement-revenue simply because Google is the most prominent. I have no love for Google, and I don't own any Google stocks, so I don't care if they make into the search market or not. However, to say something fair, Google has Google+ (plus.google.com) that does offer similar services like News that you can subscribe to. Give it a try, you may like it. Also, to be fair, Google and Facebook are aiming China as the bigger market. Korea is probably not that high on their agenda, yet.  If Google wants to spend some money (last I checked they have about $16 billion or so in the bank), I'm sure they will give Naver a much harder time.

I don't take offense in being called out by wrong. That's how you learn, right? Unfortunately, I can't read Korean, so I can't validate what you're trying to show me. I can only assume though, that they happend back in the 90s like you said? I can cite a recent article that I found here:

And:

While it might true that the government in the past had a bad view of webcomics in the past, they seem to have the opposite view now. So I'm not convinced that the government is censoring the webtoon in question is their view of webtoons in general. Also, consider this: censorship may not be all bad. For example, in China's case, censorship kept Google out, and allowed Baidu to develop its search. It depends on what the government is censoring.

Let me also point out that there is no such thing as "a natural market" in the high-tech field. The only natural market are things that you can grow out of the ground like fruits/vegetables or dig out of rocks, like minerals. I think the Korean webtoon market flourished in the early 2000s because the government spend a lot of tax money to build a fast internet structure and also pushing heavily for mobile adoption. Without the government's help building the network infrastructure, Naver and the other portals could not have take off. It's the same here: if the government didn't research the internet with public funds, then Google, Microsoft, and the other high tech companies would not have flourished. 

Anyways, this is the last I'm going to comment on this topic. Your perception on how your government handles on webtoons seem rather negative. I hate to say the obvious though, your government is no longer a military government back in the 90s, so it is voted to power by the people. There might be other people who probably don't think the censorship is all that bad.

Now you bring some politician's words.

I laugh because it sounds so similar to what they used to say on promoting games before

Forced online gaming hours so 'students can sleep' while the overcompetetion of study is clearly problem and completely missing console and handheld gaming can be used to bypass that law, ultmately hurting Korean MMO market

Declare gaming is on same level with drugs, then proceed to add 'media content' too so they can censor more stuff, whichever they like

Forced game companies to cough up 'additional payment' to government

Leveling up, earning items, quest, in game markets are too distracting

Not all censorship is bad.

But when it comes from a goverment that in last decade

Got current president is daughter of one of dictator who censored everything. Somgs, movies, advertisement, comics, books etc

Passed a law stating that looking at 2d drawings that hurt no body is worse crim then actual child rape under name of 'child protection'

Brings fanart as if they were official illustration to claim games are too sexist

Tried banning a song because 'cold medicine' can make kids think of drug abuse

Cut down violent scenes from adult only comics

Added following:

History of Korean comic was is, fight against government's censorships for decades. 

And only in last decade with development of internet, people from both drawing side and reading site were able to get far better life then what we used to get. And that is because there were many manwhagas who wished to draw, readers who wished to read and portal sites giving what both sides wanted while profiting from it.

People who naively trusted how Korea government 'changed' for gaming market saw how they greedily asked for money, foolishly shout wrong things and lazily enforce new laws that ended up suffocating everyone who loved game in Korea.

You learn to distrust, and know that you gotta fight their attempt to censor things they dislike before they censor how long your hair should be, again.

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 10 December 2014 - 12:56 PM.

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

This thread is for peaceably discussing manwha, webtoons, naver, daum, how they relate to Korean laws and government, and the industry in general.

It is completely possible to disagree and still be civil. No excuses. >:0

Previous convo:

Spoiler

Edited by themantarays, 10 December 2014 - 06:26 AM.