Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Reason for Minamoto-kun Monogatari short chapter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

HavocParker

HavocParker

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

The chapters are short is because the author Inaba Minori does the drawings herself, she doesn't have any assistants unlike other manga thus she is limited and cannot produce 20 page chapters like other manga. Here is the link for author request for assistants: http://youngjump.jp/assistant/inaba_m/

Google translated:

Apparently with the possibility of becoming her Student seeing she welcomes Beginners and teach them herself if they have the motivation and no problem with the sexual themes of the Manga.
Oh and, she's also looking for:
Those who can use Photoshop.
Background with a margin of Character Drawing but favoring the former.
Welcomes those who have no confidence in drawing skills but are good at PC but can do "Tone Work" (basically known as toning what is toning in manga well in broad stokes its known as "shading" since you barely work on a non-B&W media).

Edited by HavocParker, 07 December 2014 - 09:19 AM.

WarrFork

WarrFork

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCanada

Oh, nice to know.

I always had that question in my mind, it's so painful that the chapters are that short.

Dordz

Dordz

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLand of Ooo

very informative

Comfort Eagle

Comfort Eagle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationByron Bay
Man, if I could speak Japanese is be all over this. That said, would Jump! allow someone in another country to work for them?

(21.jpg)

---------------------------

aiueo

aiueo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Man, if I could speak Japanese is be all over this. That said, would Jump! allow someone in another country to work for them?

Probably not. It isn't as necessary to be in the same physical location if everything is done electronically, but they have many people willing to relocate domestically and work long hours with low pay in order to get experience and make connections within the industry. Plus there are experienced assistants already who are looking for more gigs.

If the publisher wanted longer chapters they could have hired assistants or do fewer-longer chapters. I think it was always their goal to have the chapters be as short as they are. Maybe Inaba has more influence at this point than she did when she got serialized.

In any case, assistants will be good for the author's health and for her sanity.

Edited by aiueo, 22 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

HavocParker

HavocParker

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

And she's delivering new chapter each week, unlike many others that tend to fall behind in long term. Also the high quality! Massive respect!

ckuri

ckuri

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
It's a false conclusion to infer she has no assistants just because there is an offer. The offer is because assistant positions are by their nature only temporary.

In fact like other mangaka she has assistants since the beginning, which can be easily verified by just reading the volume's afterwords where every assistant is listed. The last volume's assistants e.g. were Sayaka Uchimoto, Moe Sanada and Ryuji Takabayashi.

speedowagon

speedowagon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Edited by speedowagon, 24 January 2016 - 03:39 AM.