Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Mangafox bot

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
213 replies to this topic

Oblivion0117

Oblivion0117

Potato

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUSA - East Coast
Alright I have to ask, is there anything that can actually be done about NOEZ most of the stuff I've seen amounts to either fighting fire with fire or mudslinging and while it is amusing to watch but realistically speaking it's not going to do much. Even if you do manage to take Noez down like this which as I stated before at least IMO is highly unlikely they will just change there names and set up shop elsewhere and at the end of the what's more than likely going to be a very long campaign you will have many disgruntled readers who won't want anything to do with this site or the scanlators that helped after all the stuff you're doing. Now don't get me wrong I'm no Condemning you all or anything of the sort I know something HAS to be done and if I could help I would. But like I said before though amusing most of these ideas are unrealistic and will have backlash from the fanbase.

LittleMelon18

LittleMelon18

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 266 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
Unfortunately, the backlash either comes from two mindsets. The mindset of ignorance and the mindset of stuff-you-I-don't-care-get-me-my-manga-now.

You know what? I wish we just boycott scanlating the major series. MF has been creating these so called 'scanlation' groups which produce extremely poor releases for popular series not getting enough 'traffic'. They'll notice they won't get the same number of traffic because of those boycotted series, so MF gets seriously worried and create their own crap scans. Why don't they make profit out of their own 'scans' instead. Better than making profit out of pure voluntary work and out of the love for manga.

Oblivion0117

Oblivion0117

Potato

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUSA - East Coast
Yeah I think I saw that them do that on manga here with Tetragrammaton Labyrinth scanlators stopped and after so much time had passed crappy scans that are next to impossible to read start coming out which I would rather see that than the scanlators there. But that raises a problem in and of itself if people start deciding that they'd rather stay with NOEZ because they think the scanlators are being petty then any possible new recruits for those scanlators might instead offer their services to NOEZ especially if you go all out and boycott all the major series or any series in mass.

Guo-Jia

Guo-Jia

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationWhere? Where?? Where?!
Hmm... any perfectly legitimate profession would simply sue NOEZ, as they are located in the US, are they not? I can come up with a variety of reasons why this is not being done, but I never exactly heard which one it is...?
*Howl!* *Howl!* *Howl!*

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland
I wish there was a hidden forum where we could discuss this too, there's something we could do, but saying it right here would backfire ;).

Retired Manga Cleaner/Redrawer @Manga-Heaven, @kono-basho, @wangan-scans, anonymous and more.
Illustration editor

Light Novel translator

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure

Hmm... any perfectly legitimate profession would simply sue NOEZ, as they are located in the US, are they not? I can come up with a variety of reasons why this is not being done, but I never exactly heard which one it is...?

they used to be US/China , but now they are China only
Spoiler

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

I wish there was a hidden forum where we could discuss this too, there's something we could do, but saying it right here would backfire ;).

That's one of the main reasons I'm not contributing to this discussion here.

Graeystone

Graeystone

Potato

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationNW PA

they used to be US/China , but now they are China only

And some of us remember Tiananmen Square among that government's other crimes against humanity. . .

I have an idea of sorts at least to get the word about Batato out to other readers - creation of signature banners that be used in forums that can point people to Batato. Just keep in mind-
Some forums don't like Advertisement Signatures.
Don't use them on NOEZ or other online reader sites - it'd be like McDonalds advertising on Burger King property. Its wrong and doing it like that makes Batato look really bad.

Posted Image

Power without Love leads to tyranny. Love without Power to protect will fade.

The only absolute thing about absolute techniques is that sooner or later somebody absolutely breaks them.

There are no fan-boys. Just an-girls who don't need a bra and their plumbing is on the outside.

Aureus

Aureus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
I've seen this on another online reader,is it not possible to just put a redirect link to scanlators websites when chapters are released? Just for enough time the scanlators want.

Edited by Aureus, 09 December 2011 - 12:30 PM.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I've seen this on another online reader,is it not possible to just put a redirect link to scanlators websites when chapters are released? Just for enough time the scanlators want.

This would be the purpose of mangaupdates.

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I seriously don't see any reason too take some drastic measures in this (yes I read the whole thread)... I mean from what i'm seeing since Batoto is kinda the one sided saint. against noez the one sided devil, and that Batoto site is in many ways better than mangafox, and in I believe no ways worse than mangafox. Batoto has the option of just letting nature take it's toll, people will come to Batoto slowly but surely..

I know it's annoying to wait for that and all, but it seems like the best option out there. the whole idea of scanlators forming a group like this, and making a website on the level of the other readers already pretty much kill them.

why?
1. there is no reason not to use Batoto
2. there is actually advantages in using Batoto
3. you won't feel bad about annoying scanlators anymore, in fact you'll get to meet and talk with them. (forums)

4. the only reason to chose mangafox over Batoto, is if you really don't care about scanlators at all, and actually wish to piss them off :/.
5. all this being said ignorance, and wanting to believe in something false can sometimes... well, be hard to overcome.

this is just my personal opinion I hope I haven't offended anyone with this, and if I did I really didn't mean to.
Posted Image
Spoiler

tedsine

tedsine

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 69 posts
I believe that is what Batoto is doing. Beside trying to stop the bot, Batoto haven't taken any action against Mangafox or other manga readers. Some of the users here probably done something but nothing that is endorsed by Batoto.

vvhime

vvhime

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts
Wow... for the discussion ^_^
A friend suggested me to visit this thread after I told him my own experience with my group.

I'm from Ivyscan. 2 days ago, I released Yokohama monogatari ch17 on my site. At first I forgot to update the release on Manga-updates, but then after I did and the MU moderator added Yokohama as the release, soon the chapter available in Mangafox. I didn't upload somewhere else other than my own site. So that means, the Mangafox bot leeched it directly from my site. But this time I put password onto the file. And you know what, when I opened the respected chapter on Mangafox, it's empty v(^_^)v
On Mangafox front page, I hovered the mouse over the chapter, and it said "Thanks to Mangafox"
So the bot's name is Mangafox.
Yesterday I went to Mangafox again to recheck, then I found that someone uploaded Yokohama ch17 'version 2' there. The name shown when I hovered my mouse on the chapter is "Thanks to Ivyscan, CloverD".
So this contributor named CloverD who manually extracted the file and uploaded there. Geez... for all contributors. Are you blind enough to see the warning inside the file.
Today I visited Mangafox again and when I hovered the mouse over any chapter uploaded there, there's no sign of message "Thanks to..."

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

So that means, the Mangafox bot leeched it directly from my site.

They have real people too...

Yes, their bot uploads seem to often be tagged as MangaFox, but not exclusively so.

"Thanks to Ivyscan, CloverD".

CloverD is one of their admins. A significant majority of chapters on MF are either by their bots or their admins. So, they didn't download the chapter to read, they downloaded from your site for the purpose of uploading. So, there's no reason for them to read your message to begin with.

b-werx

b-werx

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 31 posts
Well, I must say, things really are getting pretty messed up over there at MangaFox. As much as I hate to admit it, our group spawned from there, but we are rather rebellious like some ungrateful kid to his parent. After realizing the profiteering and all the nasty stuff that were going on behind the scenes I figured we had to do something about it. It may be a futile effort, but as a scanlator we still have the power to do whatever we want with our releases, so I figured, why not put some annoying notices and messages all through out our releases informing those who care enough to read them. I'll be making a full color manga add-on info page in our releases starting with our latest one that are due before January. Well, this is what I can think of helping out, if it fail to do anything or otherwise, I can still say "I tried".

Edited by b-werx, 13 December 2011 - 01:05 PM.

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.

That's one of the main reasons I'm not contributing to this discussion here.

yeah... all of this "what if we do this..." "how about this..." and especially "no, cause you could get around that by doing this" in a public forum kind of defeats the purpose of ever making the suggestion in the first place (at least as far as programming is concerned). It's like broadcasting to hackers beforehand "this is how to get past our defenses".

Edited by CHeezeMaggot, 13 December 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

vvhime

vvhime

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts

CloverD is one of their admins. A significant majority of chapters on MF are either by their bots or their admins. So, they didn't download the chapter to read, they downloaded from your site for the purpose of uploading. So, there's no reason for them to read your message to begin with.

Yeah, sure, I know that. Then they're really blind with money.

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland

Wow... for the discussion ^_^
A friend suggested me to visit this thread after I told him my own experience with my group.

I'm from Ivyscan. 2 days ago, I released Yokohama monogatari ch17 on my site. At first I forgot to update the release on Manga-updates, but then after I did and the MU moderator added Yokohama as the release, soon the chapter available in Mangafox. I didn't upload somewhere else other than my own site. So that means, the Mangafox bot leeched it directly from my site. But this time I put password onto the file. And you know what, when I opened the respected chapter on Mangafox, it's empty v( ^_^)v
On Mangafox front page, I hovered the mouse over the chapter, and it said "Thanks to Mangafox"
Yesterday I went to Mangafox again to recheck, then I found that someone uploaded Yokohama ch17 'version 2' there. The name shown when I hovered my mouse on the chapter is "Thanks to Ivyscan, CloverD".
So this contributor named CloverD who manually extracted the file and uploaded there. Geez... for all contributors. Are you blind enough to see the warning inside the file.
Today I visited Mangafox again and when I hovered the mouse over any chapter uploaded there, there's no sign of message "Thanks to..."

As i said before, at least one or two admins from mangafox.com are moderators, or even admins at mangaupdates.

It could even be the cloverD himself.

Edited by krytyk, 13 December 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Retired Manga Cleaner/Redrawer @Manga-Heaven, @kono-basho, @wangan-scans, anonymous and more.
Illustration editor

Light Novel translator

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
actually there was only one of the uploaders to mangafox that was release moderator at MU , but he hasnt been one for several months , cloverd is just your regular leecher that is uploading with regards to no1
Spoiler

krytyk

krytyk

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPoland

actually there was only one of the uploaders to mangafox that was release moderator at MU , but he hasnt been one for several months , cloverd is just your regular leecher that is uploading with regards to no1

Lately souldrake was in contact with the mangafox guy within the mangaupdates (2 months ago or so), he's still alive and kickin if im not wrong, for more details ask sd.

Illustration editor

Light Novel translator