Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The end?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Tsenzei

Tsenzei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Sorry, looks like i wasn't clear enough. I'm not saying Kaneki will survive, i'm just presenting that possibility. 

Since his power is regeneration, he could actually survive, and even if they used his Kagune, he can still regenerate that.

However, i'll still repeat, the ending was not satisfying in the least. It is one thing to end in tragedy, but the only thing that was resolved, was character development.

The plot was still in development, as they showed a new Ghoul organization(that "Clown's" one), Aogiri's leader had just been introduced(right at the ending), Amon died misteriosly (he lost his arm, with proper treatment he should've been able to recover, which allows for some more developments on this case), Doctor's group implied the creation of a new "Kaneki", in which they'll probably try to make a new One Eyed Ghoul.

So yeah, there still too much left unresolved. Since this manga ended on Author's call instead of lack of popularity...

Well, whether a given ending is satisfying or not is largely subjective.  I can respect those that feel it is, and those that feel it isn't.  Personally, I think it's a fine enough ending regarding, in any event, the story of Kaneki Ken.  I also feel that his story was the primary purpose of the manga and as such I'm fine if the manga ends with this, even some of the others that had a fair bit of focus, (other than Amon who's MIA), had a fairly satisfactory ending as well, in terms of character development.  It's only the organizations and macro-plot (and the fate of Amon and Hideyo) that I felt wasn't really concluded satisfactorially... but I can live with that.

On the other hand, I'm also fine if the story of the Doves and remaining Ghouls continues.  After all, those stories have, as you have said, not come to a satisfactory conclusion.

This is a bit different from some other series.  For example, the TV series Supernatural, I felt after a certain point it had a good, satisfying conclusion to the story as a whole.  The network and several fans have disagreed and decided to continue the story.  I have no interest in watching the continued story.

Likewise, I wouldn't want to particularly watch a second season of the "Another" anime if one were to be made.  More (different) stories by the authors, sure, but not a continuation of the original story though I can see where some might not find the ending satisfactory.

A lot depends on what a given reader things the story is about.  Whether it's about the larger world, the individuals (and which ones), or some combination thereof.  Those that are attached to the character and (relatively) happy endings, and those attached to the world as a whole, could easily find problems with the ending.  But for those fine with a Tragedy, and that view the world as a whole as a setting without need for an overall resolution... I think it's plenty satisfying.

*shrug*

Kind of like, speaking of humans with monster implants, there's another series called Claymore.  At present, it looks like it might be reaching a conclusion soon.  On the other hand, there are certain plot elements that would go completely unresolved if it ends where it might.  It's dealt with a lot more other things so it'd likely be less shocking an ending to people (and it's not a Tragedy, which also helps), but it would be very easy to continue the series if the mangaka (and the fans) wish it.  Yet in spite of that, I'm sure many would be satisfied even with the larger plot remaining unresolved.

Again, it's just my own personal view of things.