Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Comic description in languages other than English?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Nolonar

Nolonar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts

I just recently noticed that a comic, this one, has had its description changed from English to Spanish.

I understand that this site hosts comics in all languages, which is why I don't think it's appropriate for me to change the description back to its original English state. However, the same also applies to the inverse, where the description was changed from English to Spanish.

I was wondering what Batoto's stance is in this matter.

The best compromise I can think of, is add support for multiple languages to comic descriptions, similar to how it's solved with comics already.

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts

Descriptions are to be in English only, otherwise quite a few pages would have descriptions in several languages, and that would be far too messy and confusing.

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Descriptions are to be in English only, otherwise quite a few pages would have descriptions in several languages, and that would be far too messy and confusing.

I feel like, after Grumpy gets done with the Follows and Comic Search changes, he should include comic descriptions in other languages. He could then use the Global Language Filter to decide which language to show in the description (or fall back to English if no description is available in that language). I haven't quite worked out how it would work for people with multiple languages in their GLF, but I'm thinking on it.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil

I feel like, after Grumpy gets done with the Follows and Comic Search changes, he should include comic descriptions in other languages. He could then use the Global Language Filter to decide which language to show in the description (or fall back to English if no description is available in that language). I haven't quite worked out how it would work for people with multiple languages in their GLF, but I'm thinking on it.

Make a list with priorities (say, English -> Spanish -> and so on) and add language selection buttons to quickly select description lang.