Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Novel Recommendations!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
Hey!

I know this is a place for finding commics but I believe almost most of the people here are novel readers so... :D

What I would like:

Interesting characters and plot.
Witty dialogues.
No idealistic or unrealistically noble main character(s)
Excellent Worldbuilding (if fantasy)
Genius plot line/ Mind games (if possible)
Suspense/Mystery/Crime/ Thriller

Please don't suggest anything with an irritating or preachy lead/plot ^^ I like protagonists who think about their own welfare first instead of sacrificing themselves for their friends sake or world ^^ Please note I'm not asking for anti-heroes but just characters who would be normal (not heroic or noble hearted).

I rather enjoy caracters who resort to everything for their own survival compared to those who cling to loyalty & their ideals even if it means their own death... so no main character like Kalazan (Stormlight Archive) or any such lead. I really liked Tyrion & Arya from ASOIF because they think of their own welfare first & I don't consider them anti-heroes or anything as I believe every normal person would save themselves first even if they have extraordinary abilities :)

Please don't suggest Malazan Empire, ASOIF, Covenant-The Unbeliever, King of Thorns (anti-hero) for cynical protagomists as I have read them... Please don't suggest Kingkiller Chronicle as I hated it ^^

Any genre is fine even slice of life.

Thanks.

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I don't know about other novels, but you could always check out The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. The main character is hilarious. xD

http://www.royalroadl.com/table-of-content/

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Seikah

Seikah

Potato

• Donator
  • 167 posts

Try the Nightside series by Simon Green, they're detective/urban fantasy books set in a mirror image of London where all myths are true.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher is also pretty good - it's a pleasant departure from the standard medieval Europe setting. If I recall correctly, Codex Alera came into being when the writer was challenged to combine Roman Legions with Pokémon and make it work.

Good luck finding something. Perhaps try Batoto's Novels section?

Antisolar

Antisolar

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationSanzu-no-kawa
I can only support Mizura's recommandation.
The Legendary Moonlight sculptor is, in my opinion, a masterpiece.
I wouldn't say it has a genius plot line, but you should be able to say (one-sided)"mind game" everytime the main character says something without being too far off the mark. Although it's nothing like death note. His rotten personnality tell the tale.
You can also forget about Suspense/Mystery/Crime/Thriller.

I like protagonists who think about their own welfare first instead of sacrificing themselves for their friends sake or world ^^
I rather enjoy caracters who resort to everything for their own survival

You will LOVE Weed.

Edited by Antisolar, 04 August 2014 - 03:55 PM.

aoshik12.jpg

Prinny Potato

Prinny Potato

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLand of Carnage

yeah try LMS => Legendary Moonlight Sculptor

Try also Arifureta,  the MC  begin like u say that dislike, but after he fall to the Abyss he become a true MAN!!!

so if u want to read it.  try at least to finish the 1st vol.

also try these  Rakuin no Monshou   Mokushiroku Arisu (Mushoku Tensei this LN update almost every day)

Edited by Salom², 04 August 2014 - 09:11 PM.

1324153758Prinny-Ahem.jpg

Kuroi Mato

Kuroi Mato

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

since i dont want to open a new thread with a similar theme, are there any good novels with a good female main chara. i am sick of all the male leads by now in most novels.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

What about Spice & Wolf?

It's about a traveling merchant Kraft Lawrence who meets a wolf goddess of the wheat in her human form, and agrees to take her to her far away home.

It has lots and lots of witty dialogues, two main characters constantly engage in word games.
Characters are not idealistic or unrealistically noble main charactes, they are fair but also let by personal gain and interest.
World building itself isn't grand or excellent, but it gives you enough to wonder and ponder, and the main focus is not on the world or how it works, but on the characters and their dealings.
Plot line is simple and set at the start, but since it's about trading, there's a lot of mind games and trying to outsmart the competitor.
It's a wonderful romance light novel across 17 volumes and it's great!

There was an anime adaptation that lasted 2 seasons and covered 4 volumes, and then stopped production :( It makes me sad that such a refreshing and interesting story got canceled when we get so many recycled animes and other ecchi garbage.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
Mizura, Antisolar, Salom². Thanks but I have read LMS till v10. But I find the writing kind of turn off later on as author never tries to 'show' anything in his writing, whether it be character relations, thoughts or actions, but always 'tells' the reader what to think. Of course the premise is interesting :) Thanks once again! :)

Seikah Thanks! I would make sure to read them^^ I didn't tried novel section earlier on as it has less activity.

Salom² I will read those suggestions as well.

Will of NGE Right! I liked the manga premises & I have forgotten about the novels! Thanks! I already ordered the books so I would start in next two days :)

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Did you order it from Yen Press or are you reading it in japanese?

Because Yen press is lagging behind several years -.- The reason I didn't buy them is becauseof Yen Press and the fact they probably won't finish it.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
I ordered it in english as I don't know japanese. I only ordered first six volumes bcoz of my limited budget as the books are rather costly compared to even popular full fledged novels and not to mention they have less number of pages .... I do share your fear of Yen Press not completing it but I still have hope seeing Spice & Wolf is rather popular...

Edited by strixflash, 06 August 2014 - 03:02 AM.

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

If you fail to get the rest of it, contact me.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler