Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Poll: Official translations + Do you want scanlations to continue?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Kubera releases (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like The Company to keep scanlating Kubera? (in any form, including script-only)

1. Yes, I want it to keep scanlating. (57 votes [87.69%])

Percentage of vote: 87.69%

2. No, but I hope another group will pick it up. (4 votes [6.15%])

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

3. No, I'm okay with how things are now (no scanlations + official translations aren't caught up) (4 votes [6.15%])

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

What do you think of the official translations?

1. I think the translations are fine now. (5 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. I think the translations are awkward, but readable. (47 votes [72.31%])

Percentage of vote: 72.31%

3. The translations are still terrible. (13 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

If scanlations continue, which would you prefer?

1. Web-upload (like before) (19 votes [29.23%])

Percentage of vote: 29.23%

2. Release only on IRC Channels (like Egscans) (5 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Javascript overlay (translations shown over the original naver page) (36 votes [55.38%])

Percentage of vote: 55.38%

4. Script-only (2 votes [3.08%])

Percentage of vote: 3.08%

5. Summaries only (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

6. Others (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Everything should stop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Episode 7 of Kubera has been released on Line Webtoons, we're still close to 200 chapters behind, and we still don't have any news from The Company on whether they'll do script-releases or not. For reference, the link:

http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=83&episodeNo=8

Poll time! The first question is whether you want:

- The Company to continue

- Another group to pick up Kubera instead

- or think scanlations should stop completely

Just to be clear: the reason for the second option is basically "I don't want The Company to get into trouble, especially since Grumpy has the rest of the site to worry about, but it's fine if another group does it."

The second question is about the level of Line Webtoon's current translations. I didn't do a detailed breakdown like for Tower of God, because this time, they made much fewer grammar mistakes, and the slang is finally gone. I have an issue with how they translated 'clan' as 'family', but it's just one term for now, not enough to warrant a poll option.

The third question is basically how you'd like scanlations or the likes to continue (if at all). To those who don't understand the 'Javascript overlay' option: it basically pastes semi-transparent images over the original webtoon to cover the text in Korean and replace it with English text. SFX and such can be replaced this way too. This benefits the author because she gets higher view count on her Korean page.

Anyway, vote away!

Edited by Mizura, 31 July 2014 - 06:28 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

I think there should be a "I hate LINE translations but I still think tC should stop" option, because at this point, the only thing left is to get Naver to improve the quality of the translations for the sake of the industry. (Stop scanlating in the traditional sense, that is. Not sure if that was the question intended for the first one. I'd still like summaries or something similar.)

I voted for overlay, but if we could vote for many I'd also include summaries.

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 31 July 2014 - 06:19 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I think I wasn't clear enough in the first question. I didn't ask whether you're okay with the translation quality, but the current State of translations (including the fact that they're way behind). I've edited the question to make that more clear.

Or should I separate that into 2 questions? I don't really see the point though. Even if a person says he's not okay with the fact that it's behind, if he still doesn't want scanlations, he's still implicitely agreeing with the fact that official translations are behind (since he can't do anything about it).

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Kreiri

Kreiri

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 254 posts

"Preferred methods of delivery" should be multiple choice question. Also, "Everything should stop" clearly belongs in first question, "Would you like The Company to keep scanlating Kubera?".

Edited by Kreiri, 31 July 2014 - 09:27 AM.

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany
Irc is best option.
It's obvious that normal uploads like before are impossible.
With irc release you at least have "something at hand" other than with overlays...

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Kreiri: I've thought about making it a multiple-choice, but then people might just tick nearly everything (I mean heck, I'd take anything I can get :P ). I really wanted to know what everyone's Preferred solution was.

I'm surprised two people voted summary-only. God knows -I- want more than just summaries. It's depressing if I got something wrong, and the whole fandom interprets something wrong because of that, 100 chapters down the line. >_>

3492bk6.jpg

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

what are irc releases exactly?

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

IRC is Internet Relay Chat - basically, real old-hat text messages over the internet, like what Skype, AIM, etc. based themselves on. (Click the CHAT at the top of the page and say hi to me, I'm on #Batoto like 24/7 lol.) It's used for lots of this kind of thing; actually I think the original scanlations were distributed that way. (I just found a great place to download ebooks for free the other day.)

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Bypassing Naver at this point is not playing by the rules. Given that Naver has exclusive right to the webtoon content, the right way to help the webtoon artists is to ask Naver to start charging for the webtoons and not giving away the webtoons for free. As a first step Naver can setup a donation button on Google marketplace where people download the apps.

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Seriously. I'll buy as soon as they print english books. Or even pay for the english webtoon ... but it hast to be up to date. >:( 

My problem with this silly app is that it it's years behind. Agggh!!

*plot thickens*

*all scanlations stopped*

*app starts from scratch*

T_T

lol... scanlation is never "playing by the rules" :D

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

MEG V

MEG V

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Although I'm not English speaking, prefer tC... definitely!

Edited by MEG V, 01 August 2014 - 08:21 PM.

CeaseActivity

CeaseActivity

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSweden

I don't think it's okay to ask the company to continue scanlations and uploading to batoto like usual, since they've been expressively forbidden from doing so by the copyrights holder. It's not even possible, since batoto doesn't allow chapter uploads anymore. Overlay done by a different group would be better imo.

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationNear ST. Louis MO USA

If Naver would put the new chapter on Amazon Prime or Crunchy roll on a weekly basis , the chapter will have to be translated sooner or later , so they would only have to pay to have the translated once , because Line webtoon would  release them two years later for free