Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why is Arata considered the best harem MC?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

zarex97

zarex97

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

As mentioned by rh75 it's not like Arata instantly had his harem. He worked for each and every one of them. Which means he's also going to do everything in his power to make sure they are happy, even if that means making everyone his enemy. I personally think that harem mc's that are completely oblivious to everything that's going on around them is far worse. The girls tend to get hurt far more with them than mc's like Arata and Issei from DxD who actively seek a harem. In fact in the case of DxD all the members of Issei's harem have been mentally and physically saved by him, a prime example being Akeno. On the other hand I can't tell you how many mc's faces I've wanted to smash in because they're so freaking dense that they hurt and or break people with every word they say.

Also it's not like Arata goes completely against the dream "Kindness, occasional coolness, idiotic straightforwardness" minus the occasional :P he's all of that. He doesn't start out the best either, true he has obvious potential to become that but at the very beginning he looses the person closest to him because of that exact same potential that he has no control over. So throughout the majority of the series so far he's constantly trying learn how to use it so he can get her back. Not to mention now that he has a fairly good idea of how to use it he has officially started on the path to a Magic King. Which means he also has to find a way to defy his fate of becoming the destroyer of worlds. 

So it's not like he's a perfect character, in fact he has a lot of flaws. I think what makes people like him so much is watching how he overcomes them while still pursuing his goals in style. Instead of the "Oh I have so much going on I'm only going to focus on one person's feelings and completely ignore everyone else's" It's much more pleasant watching someone say "So what if I have a crap load of things going on! I'm going to get everything I want and make sure that it ends with everyone happy no matter what it takes!". So maybe more than the "dream" it's the "ideal" that everyone wants to be and do that draws us to Arata.

Sincerely, this User has Described what I think it is, without doubt, the main reason why arata is a MC that is easy to get drawn to him........ Personally I don´t like perverted MC a lot, but, what I hate more it´s a MC that isn´t honest with himself, if he wants to do something( and that something its a not a crime) why the hell they must be doubting for half of the series to take a choice that everyone knew they had and would do, (also, in several cases, they make the choice just by a few words from a secundary chracther). I think that, in world like this, when you do your best not only when trying to do something for you but for someone else, you´re a great person, because those kind of persons are endangered species (Again,in this  world).

P.S: This is, obviusly mi opinion, I dont intend to offend someone with this comment, actually this is my first commment, so if I did said something that was rude to anyone apologize in advance.

DarkSaint

DarkSaint

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
The best harem MC is Rudeus Greyrat from Mushoku Tensei.

leafye

leafye

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Locationin an igloo, surrounded by my pet penguines

Redeus Greyrat is definitely is one of the top, if not top for harem MC for me, the length in which he goes to make all the important women in is life and family not only safe but happy, is inspiring. He has his doubts but he gives those problem the finger and finds a way. Hes has real, life like fears, he's powerful but not OP, and not afraid to ask to help as well as give help to those he feels indebted to. A man making the best of his second a chance. Much like Arata, given the chance to reach, maybe even rescue an important person in his life, but still does what he can to help the other important women, while being aware of where it would get him and shoulders the responsibility of the women's affection (though i hate the winking, god damn winking!!!!)    

Leave a better world for our kids? Leave better kids for our world!

shizuku kyun

shizuku kyun

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Locationinside your heart :)

Okay, I'll bite though my list will be short.

A. He is not a spineless MC.

1. He is not afraid of females.

2. He is not afraid of speaking his mind.

3. He is not afraid of conflict.

B. He has to work for the girls.

1. None of the girls fell in love with him just because he was alive.

2. He has had to prove to each of the girls that they can rely on him or trust him.

3. He is able to say the right thing at the right time.

C. He has no problem with females.

1. He doesn't get embarassed around girls.

2. He likes all girls and their breasts.

3. He has no problem with naked girls.

4. When he does have 'accidents,' he doesn't run away instead thanking them for the feast.

D. Has no problem being overpowered.

1. He has no problem going full out against an enemy.

2. He isn't a pacificist or prone to speaking about 'peace.'

3. He still uses his power even though it'll strip those around him.

4. He does the studying necessary to increase and control his power.

E. His attitude towards everything is refreshing.

1. He says whatever he wants.

I'm sure I've repeated myself and that things could be condensed, but these are a few reasons why he is the best harem MC. Other harem MC may have one or two traits from what I listed but the vast majority don't.

Also why don't you explain a little why you're not convinced?

right, just what i wanted to say *thumbs up* bro

lostsage

lostsage

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Ya'll need some Juicy Yuuji in your lives if you think Arata is the best

waterflame

waterflame

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts

Don't forget that being a over powered MC that lost the first round of a mega tournament :3!

Why not have both ? :3

P.S. A little cactus never hurt anyone either ~

-waterflame <3

The Commissar

The Commissar

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Has anyone mentioned Akatsuki Ousawa from Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica?

Because I would put him on the same level as Arata, due to badassanesatude. 

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

Because most people haven't read Ai Kora yet...

whitejoker

whitejoker

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

Who?

illpala

illpala

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

What a coincidence Rance fits all these categories

2. He has had to prove to each of the girls that they can rely on him or trust him.

3. He is able to say the right thing at the right time.  sometimes

4. When he does have 'accidents,' he doesn't run away instead thanking them for the feast.

4. He does the studying necessary to increase and control his power. if he had the power to strip girls he might

Kagonesti

Kagonesti

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
True rance does fit almost all of those categories but he is also a giant abusive A - hole. I personally like rance to a point but when 1/2 the times he's raping women or at least forcing the relationship before it's quite there makes Arata better. I've read a lot of harem manga ' s and fan stories and so forth. One things I've noticed is 75% of fan stories are successful harms and 75% of harem Mangas don't work put.

IE the MC chooses one girl or loses most of his harem. It seems to me the successful harems are built on
A. Some shared gift/power/event that fuses it into a single team or enslaves the girls to one person.
Or
B. The MC has enough personality and drive to WORK on each relationship and build bridges between all of his ladies. Even if the girls like each other unless they can stand to be in sexual contact not necessarily with each other but in the same room the harems pretty much doomed.

I think this is one of the few Mangas where we might get a full harem ending. Most MC will make single connections between his ladies but Arata sweeps them all together. I mean a perfect example is Rogue or Lugh depending on the translation. He knows he has the trinity seven pretty much sown up but he gets Lilese to help him basically seduce her to his side physically. She may stand with Hikaru but as she said before the tourney she wants in on the fight to become primary wife.

Anyway I'm glad to read such an outstanding manga and I do whole heartedly agree it's refreshing to see an harem MC not afraid of his own desires and the female form.

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

I've yet to find a "true harem" story where the MC is likeable enough. Yeah, even Arata fails, right now

Edited by Bloody Sorcerer, 24 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.

Neotempest

Neotempest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Here id the thing. Arata is on one side of a MC harem character. Knowing he is getting a harem and persuits it.

Than you have a dense character from Nisekoi. And I can tell you this. Nisekoi has a really bad mc who frustrates me on how dense he is.

alfisya

alfisya

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Okay, I'll bite though my list will be short.

3. He is able to say the right thing at the right time.

4. He does the studying necessary to increase and control his power.

I'm sure I've repeated myself and that things could be condensed, but these are a few reasons why he is the best harem MC. Other harem MC may have one or two traits from what I listed but the vast majority don't.

Also why don't you explain a little why you're not convinced?

damn right! you wrote everything on my mind.

JKitty

JKitty

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

I own the Love Hina books. I tried watching the anime adaptation of it, but the first two episodes were so 'ugh' that I never watched any anime adapted from Akamatsu's works ever again.

*Spoilers, maybe?*

Anyway, Keitaro may have been an underachiever in the beginning, but that pretty much ended when he got accepted to Tokyo U. Also, the only "right circumstance" that I can think of that ever happened in Love Hina was that he started living at the Hinata House. I still don't understand your dislike of Arata since as a fellow harem MC, Keitaro improved a lot. He stopped being the average guy, and he was a great harem MC because of that.

Arata as a character is great because of what rh75 mentioned. He's immensely different from the spineless, so-shy-around-girls-they-might-as-well-be-into-dogs MCs. Arata is like that one friend a harem MC has that's incredibly perverted and open to girls, except in Arata's case, he is the MC instead of some background character, which makes him fun.

For me, my main reason as to why Arata is a really good harem MC is because he is a character on his own and not some bland, empty shell that the readers insert themselves into.

Other harem MCs worthy of being called good:

- Keima from The World God Only Knows (sees girls as his conquest targets in dating sims)

- Rintarou from Dragons Rioting (quite the badass, but is deathly afraid of girls, and ends up in really hilarious situations because of it; also, many references to other stuff)

- I'm actually not sure if I should count him as a harem MC, given that the manga only has a few volumes out, but the main girls are interested in him

- Issei from High School DxD (I read the light novels, and to me, it's like Dragon Ball with lots and lots of breasts; anime has two seasons out, third one announced)

I also think that Shinobu from "Tsuki Tsuki" would be qualified. He tends to act in a similar way to Arata (albeit somewhat less perverted) and he's also paid in blood to gather up his harem.

Oh also Yuu from "Unlimited Fafnir" since he just says "screw it" and claims his entire harem as his prize. The whole "I'm greedy therefore I take it all"  was kinda refreshing for an MC

Edited by JKitty, 03 October 2016 - 10:25 AM.

Smoke

Smoke

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle
I like him more than most harem mcs. Some say he's not shy with women, but he still has a way to go. I wish he was more full of desire. A good portion of his harem, would be willing to make out with him, at any given moment, and the older twin still owes him an epic tit rubbing session. Get on it, boy. He's better than others, which is why I like him, but not THAT much better.

AraragiAki

AraragiAki

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Kusanagi Godou

gospelkiru

gospelkiru

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Toujou Basara is better.